Analysis 2023 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice to see some well-articulated transparent insight in that video. I'd feel confident in their processes if I was a Giants supporter.
I haven't watched the video yet but of course you should 'target' players if you have picks high enough to make that process worthwhile. However, you should also be willing to be flexible if someone unexpected becomes available. If you become complacent with a lowly draft position then you have to be praying that someone 'slips' to your pick. Players are overlooked by other clubs for a reason and it's dangerous to think that you are somehow the only recruiting manger/team who is privy to the real truth regarding certain players.

Last edited:

Pretty sure it’s Commonwealth Bank. Though having said that the ANZ atm is a good size.
Youre Good Robert Deniro GIF

I do find it interesting from the GWS video and also the Blues' video (perhaps other clubs differ) that some parties still had some general questions around the picks and that the Head recruiter is still needing to talk up/explain their picks at this stage. I would've thought that all questions/scenarios would have been thoroughly discussed prior to the draft night and that you go into draft night with a piece of paper/excel spreadsheet telling you exactly who will be picked with the names available with every single scenario thought of.

I do find it interesting from the GWS video and also the Blues' video (perhaps other clubs differ) that some parties still had some general questions around the picks and that the Head recruiter is still needing to talk up/explain their picks at this stage. I would've thought that all questions/scenarios would have been thoroughly discussed prior to the draft night and that you go into draft night with a piece of paper/excel spreadsheet telling you exactly who will be picked with the names available with every single scenario thought of.

Scenarios change with pick trading on the night, players you thought would be available are off the board, so you refocus on the next best option and or a group of players if you are targeting more than one need

Personally, I would just tick off players taken as per rankings and select accordingly

Maybe they do a bit of role play for the socials?

I think it's just making sure that everyone is 100% on the same page. Different people in the room would have had varying levels of involvement to that point.

I've only watched the fist 2 minutes of it so far...and wow...that is amazing commentary on the thought process.
It was good.

I wonder whether they are more prepared to release it given everything went as planned? Even Freo not bidding on Harvey Thomas at 41 went in their favour (based on what they expected).

Clubs would surely be more reluctant to release stuff if they are picking a guy who clearly wasn't their preference at a particular pick.

It was good.

I wonder whether they are more prepared to release it given everything went as planned? Even Freo not bidding on Harvey Thomas at 41 went in their favour (based on what they expected).

Clubs would surely be more reluctant to release stuff if they are picking a guy who clearly wasn't their preference at a particular pick.

No doubt or at least it would effect the editing.

For example, If you look at the way the Billy Wilson video was done it's alot more heavily edited then the Moir one.

On the Moir video Austin suggested there were 3 guys we were looking at for our 2nd pick, two that would get to us, one that was a maybe. I suspect the maybe was our number 1 option and Billy our number 2. Possibly Mitch Edwards. Would explain the extra editing.

I don’t mean to beat a dead horse but anyway…

Looks like Freo are giving #29 to Cooper Simpson. Yes yes, I know it’s “just a number” etc. They must really rate him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was good.

Or it’s a nice PR marketing campaign to get supporters excited their picks went to plan perfectly when most of it was recorded post draft to give that impression.

That was my gut feeling of what happened after watching the Blues footage.

It's funny watching that GWS video noting how uncompetitive a lot of the picks seem to be. All the clubs had very different draft orders this year beyond the first round.

We rated Moir a lot higher than everyone else. Same for Billy. Same for GWS. Carroll was our Rookie pick but I get the feeling if we'd have missed out on either of our earlier picks we'd have taken him for a pick in the 30s. Nobody else even rated him as worth a list spot.

Carroll was our Rookie pick but I get the feeling if we'd have missed out on either of our earlier picks we'd have taken him for a pick in the 30s. Nobody else even rated him as worth a list spot.

If that was the case would of been insane to do so. Surely would of traded down or get some future picks in.

Well, the AFL went and intimated in the middle of the bloody trading period that rules “may” change next year around academy/NGA/Father sons which probably put a halt on thinking about trading up at all.

How unprofessional is the AFL, seriously?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back