• North Melbourne's 2023 AFL Draft Selection – Pick 1
    8Q9uOA5Y.jpg

Harley Reid
    Height: 187cm
    Weight: 85kg
    Date of Birth: 17-04-2005
    Leagues: AFL U18 Championships, Coates Talent League Boys
    Player Profile:
    Harley Reid enters the 2023 AFL Draft as the unparalleled top prospect, a designation he’s carried with distinction throughout his junior career. As a prodigious talent, Reid has been the epitome of athletic prowess, dominating contests with a level of versatility that sees him excel in every third of the ground. His extensive highlight reel is a testament to his remarkable play and serves as an exciting preview of the electrifying performances expected at the professional level.

Reid’s journey has been nothing short of spectacular, culminating in a slew of accolades including back-to-back All Australian honors and Team of the Year acknowledgments in the Coates Talent League. Named captain of the Bendigo Pioneers and co-captain for Vic Country, he’s shown exceptional leadership qualities and clinched the Most Valuable Player (MVP) award, solidifying his reputation as an elite prospect.

Harley’s commitment to his craft was evident as he sought higher challenges, performing admirably for Carlton and Essendon in the VFL, and even making an appearance in a senior game back in Tongala. Despite facing a few physical setbacks and the immense pressure that comes with his level of acclaim, Reid has consistently displayed resilience and an infectious positivity on and off the field.

North Melbourne's Perspective:
    The decision to secure Harley Reid with the first pick in the 2023 AFL Draft is a bold statement from North Melbourne, reflecting a deep conviction in his extraordinary potential. The club’s aggressive trade maneuvers to acquire this selection underscore our belief that Reid is not just another top prospect, but perhaps the best we’ve ever seen. His skillset is a rare amalgamation of qualities reminiscent of AFL legends – the defensive prowess of Luke Hodge, the midfield dominance of Dustin Martin, and the forward brilliance of Gary Ablett Senior.

North Melbourne recognizes that our current ladder position does not accurately reflect the latent talent within our team. Integrating a player of Reid’s caliber is anticipated to catalyze our ascent in the competition. The decision to invest heavily in securing his services is driven by a strategic vision that prioritizes transformative talent capable of shaping the club’s future. With additional draft capital in hand and a favorable outcome from the Ben Mckay trade to Essendon, we are positioned to make this generational leap.

In drafting Harley Reid, North Melbourne is not just selecting a player; we are embracing a future leader, a beacon of excellence, and a talent that could redefine the parameters of greatness in the AFL. This is a calculated move, a commitment to our fans and our future – Harley Reid is set to be the cornerstone of North Melbourne’s resurgence and a name that will resonate through the annals of AFL history.

Welcome to North Melbourne, Harley Reid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 2 Gold Coast: Jed Walter. (GC Academy.)
  • North Melbourne's 2023 AFL Draft Selection – Pick 2
    Bid on Jed Walter
    6391122b6122de1ae9683b6c1cedd243

Height: 194cm
    Weight: 97kg
    Date of Birth: 08-06-2005
    Player Profile:
    Jed Walter is a commanding presence on the football field, standing tall at 194cm and weighing in at a solid 97kg. His physical stature is matched by his impressive skill set, which has been honed through his participation in the AFL U18 Championships and the Coates Talent League Boys. Walter's ability to impact the game across the board has made him one of the most sought-after prospects in the 2023 AFL Draft.

A true utility player, Walter's versatility allows him to adapt to various positions on the ground, making him a valuable asset to any team. His combination of size, strength, and agility sets him apart from his peers, while his football intelligence and reading of the game underline his potential as a future AFL star.

North Melbourne's Intent:
    With the second pick in the 2023 AFL Draft, North Melbourne has strategically decided to place a bid on Jed Walter. This move puts the spotlight on the Gold Coast, currently holding the rights to match any bids for Walter due to their previous investments in player development. The Suns, represented by Zach Package in this mock draft, now face a crucial decision: match the bid and secure Walter's services or pass and allow North Melbourne to claim this promising talent.

North Melbourne's bid is a clear indication of our high regard for Walter's capabilities. His profile aligns seamlessly with our club's strategic vision, and we believe he has the potential to significantly bolster our list. By placing this bid, we aim to either recruit a player of immense talent or strategically pressure the Gold Coast Suns, forcing them to utilize their draft capital to retain Walter.

North Melbourne eagerly awaits the outcome. Zach Package

Pick 3 North Melbourne: Zane Duursma.
  • North Melbourne's 2023 AFL Draft Selection – Pick 3
    7d74dffcbf0dba3a91f14ab30d61a7be

Zane Duursma
    Height: 189cm
    Weight: 79kg
    Date of Birth: 28-08-2005
    Player Profile:
    Zane Duursma emerges as a standout prospect in the 2023 AFL Draft, bringing a unique blend of height, athleticism, and skill to the table. At 189cm and 79kg, he possesses the ideal frame for an AFL player, paired with the agility and speed to make an immediate impact on the field. Duursma has showcased his talents at the highest level of junior football, leaving his mark in both the AFL U18 Championships and the Coates Talent League Boys.

Duursma's football intelligence is evident in his positioning, decision-making, and ability to read the play. His technical skills, including precise ball handling and effective disposal, complement his physical attributes. Zane's versatility allows him to be deployed in multiple roles, making him a valuable asset for any team structure.

After placing a bid on Jed Walter which was matched by the Gold Coast Suns, North Melbourne is thrilled to select Zane Duursma with the third pick in the 2023 AFL Draft. Duursma's multifaceted skill set and adaptability align perfectly with our club's vision and strategic direction.

North Melbourne is committed to building a strong, versatile, and dynamic team capable of competing at the highest level. The addition of Zane Duursma to our roster is a significant step towards realizing this ambition. We believe that his potential for growth and development is immense, and under the guidance of our coaching staff, Duursma is poised to become a cornerstone of our club's future success.

A Warm Welcome to Zane Duursma:
    We are excited to welcome Zane Duursma to North Melbourne. His dedication, talent, and potential make him a fantastic addition to our club. We eagerly anticipate his contributions to the team and look forward to seeing him develop into a prominent figure in the AFL.

Welcome to North Melbourne, Zane Duursma.

Pick 4 West Coast: Colby McKercher.
  • Pick 6 Footscray: Nick Watson.
  • Nick Watson. Write up to come.

The Dogs major issues for me are their midfield and their lack of quality smalls inside 50. They traded ahead of the Croft bid for this so they could help fix one of these areas and Watson is the one most likely to do this. I know everyone talks about the "elite 8" but for me, outside of the academy players, there's a clear cut top 5 and Watson is the last of them.

Others considered: Ryley Sanders

eDPS

Last edited:
    Pick 9 GWS: Nate Caddy
  • GWS select Nate Caddy.

Really wanted Sanders to fall to this pick so he could be understudy to Ward but then was in two minds where to go after he was off the board. (and knowing Read would be matched)

Caddy is picked because of the potential he shows in being a burst midfield type from centre bounces. If that does not eventuate he should still be a great complement to Cadman in 2-3 years once they both fill out.

Booplaz

Pick 10 Geelong: Connor O'Sullivan.
  • Pick 10 - Connor O'Sullivan

With Sanders gone O'Sullivan is a pretty easy pick here. Exceptional athlete with a really good feel for the game, physically built enough to be playing consistently from year two onwards. I think the real test for him is if he can make it as a CHF. If not will be a fine defender to pair with SDK.

ydc55

Pick 11 Footscray: Jordan Croft. (F/S.)
  • Essendon nominate Jordan Croft Calder Cannons
    Dogs match. Will calculate soon
    Does the surplus build up or does it go to a new pick straight away.

For example, do they lose 24, 26 and 27 and gain a new pick at #58 (170 points)

Or does it build up and they lose 30, 34 and 36 and would get the 31 (606 points) or use the 606 against the Rogers bid when it comes?
    I think you build it as surplus' and deficits go into next year.

Pick 12 Essendon: Darcy Wilson.
  • Pick 12 Darcy Wilson 186cm 74kg Midfield/ Forward Murray Bushrangers

I have been looking at a lot of vision and I really like this bloke and have him a bit higher than here.
    Wilson tested outstandingly at the combine and has a combination of speed and endurance which we severely lack.
    Darcy will begin his career as a high half forward in the Jamie Cripps mould who will work high up and then sprint forward to utilise his speed and motor. If Darcy is to become special which he can he will be able to use his speed in the midfield to be a break the lines sort of player In the Patrick Dangerfield mould.
    Darcy is a nice kick, has displayed the ability to kick goals and shown the ability to accumulate possessions.
    my question mark was his competitiveness and the game that hosed down my fears was Murray’s finals loss to GWVR. He copped a heap of attention all day, showed some anger and fight and kicked some goals late in the game.
    Darcy is going to have a magnificent physique in time as he has muscular arms and has a nice frame. He also does the work having put on some weight this year.

Why Darcy?

Wilson, Collard, Tholstrup, edwards and Leake were in my ball park.
    I did not consider Windsor because he has only showed the ability to play wing and duursma trade lessened the need there. I passed on Leake only because I think adding McKay and having redman, McGrath, Ridley, Baldwin, laverde, Kelly, hind, Reid, Cox and possibly a Davey or Durham meant we are strong enough for now. Edwards has a lot of upside but we need to get games into Caldwell, Hobbs, tsatsas etc.
    tholstrup may lack a touch of class but I like his competitiveness and his ability to get involved forward of the ball.
    it came down to collard or Wilson. If I knew collard could definitely settle in Melbourne and is absolutely committed to hard work I think I would have chosen him but Darcy just ticked a box too many for mine.

I also considered bidding on McCabe but hawthorn did us a solid with d’ambrossio so left that alone

gresham langford wilson
    stringer wright perkins- would be quite an athletic forward 6 that perhaps lacks a bit in the air

Pick 15 Gold Coast: Jake Rogers.
  • Pick 17 Sydney: Charlie Edwards.
  • Pick 17 Sydney Swans Charlie Edwards 191cm 85kg midfielder Sandringham Dragons
    inside midfielder, big body who has not really gone through elite pathways.
    Country kid who improved in leaps and bounds this year.
    stregths are he has very good hands inside, can win contested ball, has some zip on the outside, has a neat kick and can kick goals. He is the long term replacement to Luke Parker while Angus sheldrick can also play inside role.
    I considered Murphy and shoenmakers but Arnold, Hamling, Francis, Melican, fox, rampe and mccartin is a pretty solid group.
    Theswans biggest challenge is to lock away Logan mcdonald now.

Last edited:
    Pick 18 St Kilda: Ollie Murphy.
  • While tempted by a variety of the "maybe" midfielders around this mark in the draft, I think the Saints are crying out for some elite talent down back, so will be selecting Ollie Murphy from Sandy with Pick 18.

A genuine key position backman, has all of the traits you want in a modern defender: dangerously quick, assured pair of hands, and able to make good decisions bringing the ball out of defense. Showed he can hold his own this year against some of the better forwards in the '23 crop. Also a Saints fan, for what it's worth.

347ca0ced3dfe036ac5d97f69adedf79

Saints will be hoping that both Murphy and Van Es can develop in a couple of years to be a set and forget FB and CHB duo. Saints have always done OK defensively despite never really settling on the best combo of Wilkie, Cordy, Battle and Howard down back (and many of those are re-purposed players from other positions). Having one (or two) genuine, elite key-backs in a couple of years will transform the Saints list and ought compliment the Ross Lyon system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 20 North Melbourne: Arie Schoenmaker.
  • North Melbourne's 2023 AFL Draft Selection – Pick 20
    nab-afl-futures-team-houli-v-team-murphy.jpg

Arie Schoenmaker
    Height: 194cm
    Weight: 91kg
    Date of Birth: 07-01-2005
    Player Profile:
    Arie Schoenmaker is a formidable prospect in this year's draft, boasting an impressive physical presence matched by his footballing prowess. At 194cm and 91kg, Schoenmaker has the ideal build for a key position player, capable of making an immediate impact on the ground.

Throughout the AFL U18 Championships and the Coates Talent League Boys, Schoenmaker has demonstrated his ability to influence the game significantly. His marking ability, combined with his agility and strength, makes him a challenging matchup for any opponent. His versatility allows him to contribute effectively at either end of the ground, providing valuable flexibility in team structure.

With the twentieth pick in the 2023 AFL Draft, North Melbourne is excited to select Arie Schoenmaker. We see Arie as a player who can develop into a pillar at either end of the ground for our club. His size and skill set are precisely what we've been looking to add to our list, providing us with options and depth in key positions.

Arie's selection complements our earlier picks, further solidifying our commitment to building a robust and versatile team. We are confident in his ability to grow and excel at the AFL level, contributing significantly to the future success of North Melbourne.

A Warm Welcome to Arie Schoenmaker:
    We warmly welcome Arie Schoenmaker to North Melbourne. His impressive attributes and potential make him an exciting addition to our club. We're looking forward to his development and contributions in the royal blue and white stripes.

Welcome to North Melbourne, Arie Schoenmaker.
    Vindicater You’re next with GWS

Picks 22 and 23 West Coast: Archer Reid and Koltyn Tholstrup.
  • Remove this Banner Ad

Back