Position 2023 Fantasy Midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All signs indicate that hes had an unbelievable preseason. Top 3 in time trials and out on some bulk. Should be our main inside mid if Yeo is spending half his time at HBF
One would hope so but there's an argument for time sharing with Yeo, Shuey and Ginbey to protect all involved. Problem for Culley is that his second position is less obvious than the other three. Likely HFF I guess.

One would hope so but there's an argument for time sharing with Yeo, Shuey and Ginbey to protect all involved. Problem for Culley is that his second position is less obvious than the other three. Likely HFF I guess.
That’s why I’m bullish on Culley. All the other blokes have second positions except him. He was thrown to the wolves in his few games last year so I expect something similar this year

Loving this culley chat. I'm keen on him but feel he and sheed might be too many Eagles mids for my midfield. Might have to bite the bullet and throw him in.
He's loves to tackle, is offensively minded, is a pretty good kick and will pick up the odd mark and goal. The main knock right now is he doesn't know where to position himself. I think he'll be a decent scorer eventually. Culley should get a lot of mid time this season as JDWCE suggested and probably should be in the middle for the first bounce of 2023 but I think Sheed has better job security in the early rounds.

Feel like Worpel just isnt very good.. and Mitchell has figured that out and marginalised him. With the draftees of the last two years coming in, i dont think he's a priority at all. Newcombe is a similar style of player (Grunt, clearance) but better.

Cheap as - but dont think he's got any realistic upside unless he's somehow gained talent over the offseason

If Sheed and Duursma increase their average by 20 odd they’ll definitely increase in price enough to warrant selection. It’s not their average that you need to worry about though. It’s the hope that they can have spike games and put on $$’s very quick. You only have to go back to Sheeds last full season to see he has a ceiling of 130+. All it takes is him hitting that once in the first 3/4 games and he will have made 150k comfortably. North first up? Wouldn’t say it’s not doable
It's not impossible but I'm hearing a few younger names mentioned going through the eagles' forwardline. Hoping he racks it up against the roos is a bit iffy (like, how many players scored 130 plus against the roos? Wasn't every midfielder) and I'd rather just rely on the plentiful midfield rookie options available.

The guy who I think everyone is ignoring is Keays from Adelaide. Averaged 108 which is very close to a top eight midfielder average. 2022 average was knocked by playing forward pocket for the last bit of the year. Free hit IMO. Only thing which is making me nervous is reports about injuries.

Starting to sour on worpel. Just got me thinking the other day titch was on the outer cause he aint a good footballer and worpel is in the same vein. Just cant see mitchell giving him a decent run in the mids. People just dont change their minds. For another 100k i think holmes is the much better choice. Guaranteed mid time and seems like he will be given selwoods role. (Correct me if im wrong shadow). Seems primed for a 3rd year breakout.

God B.Smith v Macrae is causing me nightmares

Macrae has the head tilt and could go out on the wing
Smith has the ability to play everywhere

Or could go both

God B.Smith v Macrae is causing me nightmares

Macrae has the head tilt and could go out on the wing
Smith has the ability to play everywhere

Or could go both

I've gone both for now but am dreading having to pick between them later on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not impossible but I'm hearing a few younger names mentioned going through the eagles' forwardline. Hoping he racks it up against the roos is a bit iffy (like, how many players scored 130 plus against the roos? Wasn't every midfielder) and I'd rather just rely on the plentiful midfield rookie options available.

The guy who I think everyone is ignoring is Keays from Adelaide. Averaged 108 which is very close to a top eight midfielder average. 2022 average was knocked by playing forward pocket for the last bit of the year. Free hit IMO. Only thing which is making me nervous is reports about injuries.
There's no 'hoping' he will rack it up round 1. The point was if he averages 20+ on his starting price it makes him a great pick. Plus if he has a game where he tears it up, he all of a sudden jumps up 50-60k in one game and he's done his job. Not always about the average they have at the end of the year, it's about how they get there. FYI this is Sheed's first block of games in his last full season:

RoundPriceScoreValue
1​
$675,000​
138​
20.4​
2​
$706,000​
92​
13.0​
3​
$726,000​
100​
13.8​
4​
$738,000​
58​
7.9​
5​
$717,000​
103​
14.4​
6​
$704,000​
47​
6.7​
7​
$662,000​
101​
15.3​
8​
$640,000​
135​
21.1​
9​
$657,000​
82​
12.5​
10​
$665,000​
67​
10.1​
11​
$655,000​
135​
20.6​
12​
$677,000​
123​
18.2​
13​
$706,000​
76​
10.8​

If he does that again he will go up 200k by the bye with nearly a 100 average. Much worse picks out there.

As for Keays, he averaged 103.5 without those forward stints. The 108 average is from the year before. You'd think a few kids start seeing a little more mid time at Crows so the 103 seems more in-line with what he will do. Means he has around 5 points upside which is ok but not earth shattering and doesn't look like becoming a top 8 mid where you essentially need to average 106+. Not far off though

There's no 'hoping' he will rack it up round 1. The point was if he averages 20+ on his starting price it makes him a great pick. Plus if he has a game where he tears it up, he all of a sudden jumps up 50-60k in one game and he's done his job. Not always about the average they have at the end of the year, it's about how they get there. FYI this is Sheed's first block of games in his last full season:

RoundPriceScoreValue
1​
$675,000​
138​
20.4​
2​
$706,000​
92​
13.0​
3​
$726,000​
100​
13.8​
4​
$738,000​
58​
7.9​
5​
$717,000​
103​
14.4​
6​
$704,000​
47​
6.7​
7​
$662,000​
101​
15.3​
8​
$640,000​
135​
21.1​
9​
$657,000​
82​
12.5​
10​
$665,000​
67​
10.1​
11​
$655,000​
135​
20.6​
12​
$677,000​
123​
18.2​
13​
$706,000​
76​
10.8​

If he does that again he will go up 200k by the bye with nearly a 100 average. Much worse picks out there.

As for Keays, he averaged 103.5 without those forward stints. The 108 average is from the year before. You'd think a few kids start seeing a little more mid time at Crows so the 103 seems more in-line with what he will do. Means he has around 5 points upside which is ok but not earth shattering and doesn't look like becoming a top 8 mid where you essentially need to average 106+. Not far off though

Keays' average from last year is highly inflated by his monster first month whilst Laird was injured/building into his season. He's really just a 100 average guy.

Take it from someone who traded him in after Round 4 last year at top dollar, was very underwhelmed, then traded him at his bye. #notbitter

Lachie Ash? You'd be putting a lot of faith in hope to start with him, might be a play but dont think you'll have much to go off.

He’s just on my watch list. With the loss of Hopper/Taranto I’m hoping Kingsley looks to the next group to step up and get midfield minutes. If he’s in the middle, surely an average of 80+ is possible

Keays' average from last year is highly inflated by his monster first month whilst Laird was injured/building into his season. He's really just a 100 average guy.

Take it from someone who traded him in after Round 4 last year at top dollar, was very underwhelmed, then traded him at his bye. #notbitter
Averaged 108 in 2021 and I think Laird will take a step back in what he scored this year. This thread is starting to make me nervous and with 1% ownage it's a risk though. I can easily see him average 105 but I get that that's not top eight.

Averaged 108 in 2021 and I think Laird will take a step back in what he scored this year. This thread is starting to make me nervous and with 1% ownage it's a risk though. I can easily see him average 105 but I get that that's not top eight.
Stick with your gut mate. Everyone needs some POD’s and he’s proven he can score well if he has the right role.

Depends what they do with Matt Crouch too I guess. Surely they can’t play both of those spuds. 😂
Crouch will likely be back u and in the frame of any of Laird, keays or berry miss.

Those 3 will be our highest CBAs comfortably and sometimes all 3 in at once but most times 2 of them at a time

I think most CBAs will have 1 of rankine, rachelle, soligo, Schoenberg in there as the 3rd

Keays coukd be a great pick, his Ave is deflated by playing forward the final weeks due to shoulder injury.

If yiu pick him comes down to how much you think that change was just the injury and how much about creating opportunity for younger mids and testing him out in a different role.

I think the answer in 2023 is somewhere in between. He will still be a primarily mid though he probably loses 10% CBA from his early season peak as we continue to get more mid time into those others.

Crouch will likely be back u and in the frame of any of Laird, keays or berry miss.

Those 3 will be our highest CBAs comfortably and sometimes all 3 in at once but most times 2 of them at a time

I think most CBAs will have 1 of rankine, rachelle, soligo, Schoenberg in there as the 3rd

Keays coukd be a great pick, his Ave is deflated by playing forward the final weeks due to shoulder injury.

If yiu pick him comes down to how much you think that change was just the injury and how much about creating opportunity for younger mids and testing him out in a different role.

I think the answer in 2023 is somewhere in between. He will still be a primarily mid though he probably loses 10% CBA from his early season peak as we continue to get more mid time into those others.
Great info, thanks.

TedDougChris

Can your lot send out a search part for Bailey Smith, missed the last two main match sim sessions

I am getting worried

I am too, I second this request.

On another note, The Jai Culley notion has been growing in my head. I'm half convinced Leo DiCaprio has been engaged by a mischievous Eagle mate I have and he's done his Inception thing on me but Jai keeps landing at M6 for me and I can't bring myself to cut him. Any assistance to dissuade me of him will be appreciated. Any assistance in persuading me it is not completely dumb would also be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back