Position 2023 Fantasy Midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear Smith's training is being adjusted as he tends to exert himself too hard too eearly. But yes I would love to know if I need to gowngrade to Petracca or Bontempelli.
But 3 weeks missing is a bit of a lot

Who is the round 1 Smokey?
Off topic. Take that to the rookies thread please. This thread is for those of us that enjoy discussing wild conspiracy theories about players signing long term deals and then duly having a dip in form.

Who is the round 1 Smokey?
their number one ******* draft pick a real smokie, you know a bloke that has no right to be considered

What do we think Dangerfield goes at this year

Surely better than the 76 he is priced at.
Can he return to high 90s ?

We'll definitely rest him throughout the year. With that said, having the proverbial monkey off his back by winning the flag, should make him less likely to push himself too hard when he doesn't need to anymore.

Not one I would pick, given one key thing that most don't realize about us, is that we developed a mid strategy last year where players were essentially playing a quarter less than everyone else. It's why we didn't have anyone score over 95. It's fine for really fit guys like Holmes and Blics, but for guys like Danger and Guth who never play huge minutes, it means that they can't score as highly as they would of in the past.

It's the main reason I'm only considering guys like Bowes and Holmes, as their cap might be 90ish, but they're only priced at 65-70, so it's worth it. For guys like Danger priced at 76 and not likely to play full games or 22 for the season, just doesn't seem worth it for the extra 70-100K you have to pay over those guys.

I am too, I second this request.

On another note, The Jai Culley notion has been growing in my head. I'm half convinced Leo DiCaprio has been engaged by a mischievous Eagle mate I have and he's done his Inception thing on me but Jai keeps landing at M6 for me and I can't bring myself to cut him. Any assistance to dissuade me of him will be appreciated. Any assistance in persuading me it is not completely dumb would also be appreciated.
In my latest round of tinkering Culley has replaced Green, to help get Cameron up to English. It's not the worst option but I'm not wedded to it. He has a good chance of CBAs and he loves to tackle. There's enough going for him if things pan out, and he could average 80-85 maybe? But in the end he's still a second year player and it's far from guaranteed - if another decent rook pops up I might just opt for that instead. Still early days

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my latest round of tinkering Culley has replaced Green, to help get Cameron up to English. It's not the worst option but I'm not wedded to it. He has a good chance of CBAs and he loves to tackle. There's enough going for him if things pan out, and he could average 80-85 maybe? But in the end he's still a second year player and it's far from guaranteed - if another decent rook pops up I might just opt for that instead. Still early days
I'm in the same boat it's either

Culley Lycett
V
Wardlaw/Johnson Marshall/English

I'm in the same boat it's either

Culley Lycett
V
Wardlaw/Johnson Marshall/English
I thought Wardlaw was all but ruled out of rd1 and Johnson is fringe - so wouldn't like to be rolling with either of them on field at the moment. But the Culley & Lycett combo has a low ceiling between them, so I'd probably lean towards finding another rookie and take Marshall or English. Could you flick Phillipou into the mids? Seems like there's more potential rooks in the fwd line for now

Hope that makes sense - I've been drinking!

I thought Wardlaw was all but ruled out of rd1 and Johnson is fringe - so wouldn't like to be rolling with either of them on field at the moment. But the Culley & Lycett combo has a low ceiling between them, so I'd probably lean towards finding another rookie and take Marshall or English. Could you flick Phillipou into the mids? Seems like there's more potential rooks in the fwd line for now

Hope that makes sense - I've been drinking!
Ive got Phillipou in the forward line, but the problem is forward rookies are mostly the tall forwards

I'm hoping something opens up in the next 2 months

Ive got Phillipou in the forward line, but the problem is forward rookies are mostly the tall forwards

I'm hoping something opens up in the next 2 months
True, it's still too early be worrying about specific rooks. When they appear we'll all be restructuring our teams anyhow. But yeah I'd only really consider Culley if that's what gets you the premo. Having both him and another midprice option seems to be the worst of both worlds

A popular strategy each year is looking at the idea of a "fallen premium", i.e someone that had a bad year for whatever reasons.

Here are the top 10 pure midfielders based on their drop-offs from 2021 to 2022 average. Note I have filtered only for those that played 10 games last year (so priced at their average) and priced over 80.

Player2022 Games2022 Average2021 Games2021 AverageDifference
J Lyons
22​
91.5​
22​
117.1​
-25.6​
T Adams
17​
81.5​
14​
100.9​
-19.4​
T Mitchell
21​
96.3​
22​
115.6​
-19.3​
A Gaff
16​
81.2​
21​
97.2​
-16​
O Wines
21​
97.8​
22​
111.9​
-14.1​
C Guthrie
22​
95.9​
20​
109.9​
-14​
J O'Meara
21​
82.1​
18​
95.9​
-13.8​
J Macrae
22​
103.4​
22​
115.9​
-12.5​
T Miller
22​
109.8​
21​
122.1​
-12.3​
J Steele
18​
110.4​
22​
121.4​
-11​
B Keays
22​
97.3​
22​
108​
-10.7​

If Dunkley hadn't gone to Brisbane, then Lyons would have been a must have. Seemed to battle a groin injury last year.

A popular strategy each year is looking at the idea of a "fallen premium", i.e someone that had a bad year for whatever reasons.

Here are the top 10 pure midfielders based on their drop-offs from 2021 to 2022 average. Note I have filtered only for those that played 10 games last year (so priced at their average) and priced over 80.

Player2022 Games2022 Average2021 Games2021 AverageDifference
J Lyons
22​
91.5​
22​
117.1​
-25.6​
T Adams
17​
81.5​
14​
100.9​
-19.4​
T Mitchell
21​
96.3​
22​
115.6​
-19.3​
A Gaff
16​
81.2​
21​
97.2​
-16​
O Wines
21​
97.8​
22​
111.9​
-14.1​
C Guthrie
22​
95.9​
20​
109.9​
-14​
J O'Meara
21​
82.1​
18​
95.9​
-13.8​
J Macrae
22​
103.4​
22​
115.9​
-12.5​
T Miller
22​
109.8​
21​
122.1​
-12.3​
J Steele
18​
110.4​
22​
121.4​
-11​
B Keays
22​
97.3​
22​
108​
-10.7​

If Dunkley hadn't gone to Brisbane, then Lyons would have been a must have. Seemed to battle a groin injury last year.
I would say of that list Lyons, Wines, Guthrie, Miller, Steele & Keays had their peak/career year in 2021.

You could also make a case that Adams, Mitchell & Gaff are over the hill.

Going for value in the Mids (plus a C option) 4 of my 5 'premos' are under 8% ownership and my uber at 22%. There's a bit of risk involved but there's considerable upside too.

Smith has been restricted to a modified program due to lingering lower leg soreness since the Bulldogs reported back for pre-season earlier this month.

But with Luke Beveridge's squad heading down the Mornington Peninsula for a four-day pre-season camp this week, Smith completed most of Monday's training session at Rye Football Ground in front of hundreds of interested locals.

The Western Bulldogs have carefully managed the 22-year-old’s workload across January and are now ready for Smith to build his match sim minutes ahead of the club's practice match against North Melbourne at the start of March.

Anyone hearing anything about dom sheed. The eagles have had their sims and i keep hearing yeo and ginbey are killing it yet absolutely no news at all on sheed. Can anyone shed some light on how he is doing in these sims. Funny cause he is owned by 22% of teams and nata.

Anyone hearing anything about dom sheed. The eagles have had their sims and i keep hearing yeo and ginbey are killing it yet absolutely no news at all on sheed. Can anyone shed some light on how he is doing in these sims. Funny cause he is owned by 22% of teams and nata.
Dom Sheed was as prolific and damaging with his precise left-foot as Eagles fans know and love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back