Strategy 2023 Fantasy Planning Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting to see a lot of people on Taranto, only one Richmond midfielder since they entered their prime averaged over 100. So is Taranto really that much of a generational player he will break their system and score over 100. So that leaves 5 points on the bone for him, compared to Rozee 12 points, DC 19 points

Are you better going Cogs/Dunks + Rozze/DC

The other interesting one is Titchell

Only one player Crisp (mainly helped by his first half of the year) went over 90 in McRae new style of football. Also worth noting the only team that had a bigger points regression is Adelaide. So can you expect him to break the system and do a Laird
Haven’t done a team yet but Dunks, Cogs, Rozee and TT are the main 4 forwards it seems. I doubt we will start 4 premos so TT probably the one I’ll leave out.

Having said that I’m sure Prestia would ton in our system if he didn’t get injured in first quarters so often. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It's interesting to see a lot of people on Taranto, only one Richmond midfielder since they entered their prime averaged over 100. So is Taranto really that much of a generational player he will break their system and score over 100. So that leaves 5 points on the bone for him, compared to Rozee 12 points, DC 19 points

Only one player Crisp (mainly helped by his first half of the year) went over 90 in McRae new style of football. Also worth noting the only team that had a bigger points regression is Adelaide. So can you expect him to break the system and do a Laird
Some excellent points !!

Anecdotally .....do RICH move more of their MIDS into other roles during games though ? .....Bolton, Dusty, Prestia, Cotchin

RICH also tend to have their MIDS injured a lot .....Taranto will be my first picked player this year

Titch I'm less concerned about. Pies need an inside mid and lacked that last year. He'll score his price with some upside. Pies score plenty of fantasy points.

Taranto I think is a valid concern. But with Hopper and him added they should buck the trend.

Forwards I rank them as:
1. Dunkley - he'll never move from this.
2. Cogs - midfield time locked.
3. Taranto. Just cause its off the cliff after this.
4. Rozee? I'm just not a fan still. I can understand the hype. But yet to see it when it matters (early in a season or consistently).

I'm likely to pick 2 or 3 of the 4. All 4 are no doubt a top 6 forward by seasons end.
I like Cunnington at his price but then for $90k more it could be Rozee.

What I want to know is, they have literally an entire year to work on this sort of thing for the following year.
Why is it they seem to jump on it last minute.
I mean yeah, it's IT 101, you plan and have things done even 6-12 months before

Some excellent points !!

Anecdotally .....do RICH move more of their MIDS into other roles during games though ? .....Bolton, Dusty, Prestia, Cotchin

RICH also tend to have their MIDS injured a lot .....Taranto will be my first picked player this year
Cotchin surely only plays pure midfield, and so does Presita

Bolton/Martin/Short all buggered off elsewhere in the midfield

Taranto i would hope goes 110 this season but has to go and break the richmond conditioning and with talks of him, dusty and bolton all rolling through the centre bounces and then pushing forward i am waiting to see how this plays out. Last thing you want is Taranto stuck forward pocket

I want to see how the role develops in the pre-season

Taranto for me is wait and see if points and role are their. Early upgrade target if looks good.

Be crazy to start him when so much history is against him.

Titch I'm less concerned about. Pies need an inside mid and lacked that last year. He'll score his price with some upside. Pies score plenty of fantasy points.

Taranto I think is a valid concern. But with Hopper and him added they should buck the trend.

Forwards I rank them as:
1. Dunkley - he'll never move from this.
2. Cogs - midfield time locked.
3. Taranto. Just cause its off the cliff after this.
4. Rozee? I'm just not a fan still. I can understand the hype. But yet to see it when it matters (early in a season or consistently).

I'm likely to pick 2 or 3 of the 4. All 4 are no doubt a top 6 forward by seasons end.
I like Cunnington at his price but then for $90k more it could be Rozee.
Pies just didn't score well last year, so he has to do better than all the other mids last year

He again is a watch during pre-season, pies did terrible for mids last year

1673237415726.png
Their mids averaged just 65 points last year nearly 15 points behind Melbourne the leaders, and 8th worse total points scored last year, plus they had a weak draw last year which should be harder this year

Hopper Taranto do worry me as said above

Rozee was consistent once he moved full time midfielder
1673237582210.png

Especially post byes

Last edited:

Taranto will not be in my round 1 side. As you day, he'll be lucky to average 95 in the Richmond system. Dunks, Rozzee, Cogs all have more value.

Two likely causes of the delay
1. The move to require a general AFL Login to access Fantasy and all AFL services (including...shudders...NFTs). I would bet good money that a lot of the milestones of setting this project up were tied to the launch of the AFL Season, not the launch of AFL Fantasy. There was probably some intenral panic when they realised the AFL Logins would be needed by Jan, and here we are.....
2. Issues with calculating the averages of players that were un-used medical subs.

And in case anyone needed to be reminded, the Traders don't have anything to do with the management of the site.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two likely causes of the delay
1. The move to require a general AFL Login to access Fantasy and all AFL services (including...shudders...NFTs). I would bet good money that a lot of the milestones of setting this project up were tied to the launch of the AFL Season, not the launch of AFL Fantasy. There was probably some intenral panic when they realised the AFL Logins would be needed by Jan, and here we are.....
2. Issues with calculating the averages of players that were un-used medical subs.

And in case anyone needed to be reminded, the Traders don't have anything to do with the management of the site.

Warnie actually does - hence why so many questions get directed at him/he's always in the know about DPP's before they drop. He's also the guy that Roy and Calvin go to when asking questions live on air - so he definitely has some input. Even Selby was asked on his podcast 'when is Warnie going to push that big red button and open things up' and Selby inferred that it was Warnie who ultimately knew, and would have control over (at least part of) that aspect.

With that said, even if he wasn't involved in any facet, the attitude towards people is pretty poor regardless. Just sheer sarcasm and dismissal. They're literally the face of the product that the AFL spruiks out to more than 50,000+ people - and they don't handle themselves as representatives of a company should - especially in the public space.

Warnie actually does - hence why so many questions get directed at him/he's always in the know about DPP's before they drop. He's also the guy that Roy and Calvin go to when asking questions live on air - so he definitely has some input. Even Selby was asked on his podcast 'when is Warnie going to push that big red button and open things up' and Selby inferred that it was Warnie who ultimately knew, and would have control over (at least part of) that aspect.

With that said, even if he wasn't involved in any facet, the attitude towards people is pretty poor regardless. Just sheer sarcasm and dismissal. They're literally the face of the product that the AFL spruiks out to more than 50,000+ people - and they don't handle themselves as representatives of a company should - especially in the public space.
He's definetely playing it wrong.
I'm sure he's had a gutful of people asking the question.
But being rude/dismissive does nothing but bring more trolling on himself.

They said pre Xmas and gave an update of early Jan.

It's early Jan now and it's not open still - so we need another update. Even if that's to say it's not open till 1st week of Feb.

Can't just keep stringing people along with "soon" "expected imminently" etc etc.

I think the bolded is more of a joke that has become larger than life than reality. Yes Warnie does get things like the prices and positions early, but in case of the positions these come from Fantasy Freako not the game itself and in the case of prices, this is merely a spreadsheet that is pretty easy to work out (we all do it anyone) that the developers of Fantasy provide him once they've established the magic number.

The game also provide Warnie with 'exclusives' effectively on the rules, structure and other changes much in the same way that the AFL provides information to their journalists to provide the first comment or update on that issue before it is formally announced.

I understand the Traders guys have some input at the end of season in the goals and path of the game, but this is limited and they certainly don't have final say.

I understand they have nothing to do with the actual running of the game, and this is done by an AFL affiliated fantasy football provider.

By the way looks like it was supposed to have kicked off 22 December as per their FAQ, but somethign is obviously wrong

1673246068021.png

I think the bolded is more of a joke that has become larger than life than reality. Yes Warnie does get things like the prices and positions early, but in case of the positions these come from Fantasy Freako not the game itself and in the case of prices, this is merely a spreadsheet that is pretty easy to work out (we all do it anyone) that the developers of Fantasy provide him once they've established the magic number.

The game also provide Warnie with 'exclusives' effectively on the rules, structure and other changes much in the same way that the AFL provides information to their journalists to provide the first comment or update on that issue before it is formally announced.

I understand the Traders guys have some input at the end of season in the goals and path of the game, but this is limited and they certainly don't have final say.

I understand they have nothing to do with the actual running of the game, and this is done by an AFL affiliated fantasy football provider.

By the way looks like it was supposed to have kicked off 22 December as per their FAQ, but somethign is obviously wrong

View attachment 1583701

Cheers for the info, and definitely some fair points made re: Warnie's involvement. With that said, I'd still classify him as a 'liaison' of sorts, given he's regularly spoken about things they tried to implement/things they couldn't do for X reason.

He's obviously not a coder or developer per se, but he does seem to be someone that consults on things and offers input, and is a lot more connected to the internals of what's going on - unlike a Roy or Calvin.

Even if he's not responsible for the glitches in the Matrix right now, lol, he certainly would be apprised in some way of what is happening with it all, and thus he has a responsibility as one of the faces of AFL Fantasy, to keep the general public apprised of these hiccups.

IT in every business are notorious for dodging people, but someone like him shouldn't be acting the same way - given what they get paid for is to provide advice and content, to us, the Fantasy community

Last edited:
Cheers for the info, and definitely some fair points made re: Warnie's involvement. With that said, I'd still classify him as a 'liaison' of sorts, given he's regularly spoken about things they tried to implement/things they couldn't do for X reason.

He's obviously not a coder or developer per se, but he does seem to be someone that consults on things and offers input, and is a lot more connected to the internals of what's going on - unlike a Roy or Calvin.

Even if he's not responsible for the glitches in the Matrix right now, lol, he certainly would be appraised in some way of what is happening with it all, and thus he has a responsibility as one of the faces of AFL Fantasy, to keep the general public apprised of these hiccups.

IT in every business are notorious for dodging people, but someone like him shouldn't be acting the same way - given what they get paid for is to provide advice and content, to us, the Fantasy community
Oh yeah for sure, they need to clarify what's going on and update us all. Not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back