Player Watch 2023 Father Son player watch - McCabe, Dear and Maginness

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I keep deleting posts referencing this, but can we move away from suggesting or making juvenile jokes about the bloodlines of players.

This is a public forum and parents of players do read here.

SOS didn’t go to Carlton as father / son. Jack did, and so did Ben (who never played a senior game). Neither have proven to be particularly useful. As I said, far more misses than hits. It’s well and truly over-rated as a source of talent.

I’ll never forget the self-flagellation some had here over poor Dev Brereton. He was never going to be more than a solid local park player. Neither will Calsher Dear IMHO.
Calsher Dear may not make it, but its sad you ride kids off at such a young age

Calsher Dear may not make it, but its sad you ride kids off at such a young age
This is very true. It's important to remember that these young 14-15 year old kids could very well read the stuff we post about them here. Could only imagine how a young FS prospect would feel reading something like that they're a spud and will never make it. Also important to remember that some kids are late bloomers and either end up having a ridiculous growth spurt or form burst that lets them become something even the most astute coaches / scouts can't predict.

This is very true. It's important to remember that these young 14-15 year old kids could very well read the stuff we post about them here. Could only imagine how a young FS prospect would feel reading something like that they're a spud and will never make it. Also important to remember that some kids are late bloomers and either end up having a ridiculous growth spurt or form burst that lets them become something even the most astute coaches / scouts can't predict.
Pet hate on this forum - “supporters” talking players, prospects down, calling them spuds, soft etc

Anyone who has played the game at any level knows how bloody hard it is, let alone at the elite level

Would it kill your to hold back your negativity and try and encourage these kids - especially potential Father / sons?

A bit of hyperbole going on in here. Literally no one has called a player mentioned here a "spud" or "soft" yet people are carrying on like this was something that was said.

I have no problem with people giving an honest opinion as long as it's not derogatory and posters remain respectful.

Hopefully McCabe has a huge season and becomes a top 10 rated talent. I think we will have a top four pick, so could really sneak a pick on before a bid comes in for McCabe.
Don’t you mean, hopeful McCabe has a quiet season and we get him for a late pick, before a massive breakout in 2024 where he performs like a top 10 talent?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cal mentioned this week on HI that He likes the look of McCabe but has not yet seen Calsher play.

He also mentioned that he’s told Ned Maginness is focusing on Rowing, but he’s waiting to see if he’s part of the Dragons squad for 2023.

Cal mentioned this week on HI that He likes the look of McCabe but has not yet seen Calsher play.

He also mentioned that he’s told Ned Maginness is focusing on Rowing, but he’s waiting to see if he’s part of the Dragons squad for 2023.
I took it as more of that he’s focused more on rowing lately/last years but is committed to footy now. He also said that he thinks he’s more talented than Finn.

I took it as more of that he’s focused more on rowing lately/last years but is committed to footy now. He also said that he thinks he’s more talented than Finn.

Clearing things here
Ned has never rowed and is not right now, full focus is on footy.
Different player to Finn, similar height but still growing and skinny
Not as versatile as Finn was (mainly plays wing) and not making as much impact as Finn did at school footy at same age (y11) but big scope for improvement given recent growth spurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back