Official Club Stuff 2023 Financial Results

Remove this Banner Ad

ADKq_NZU6xf9MpvJCeVihHVOs9tR6S_ZLNoNCA-zHNyzyO6_Q17S7hC0hP06xSt8jYn0w3kQXwZKI01y_Crbmc_wLH9V8WvjEILgjzv1QIzjNKy6jAJv0epn_mAWXA1dy0iQoNx2ewdnkLAS--kgSNchtJ0TYJ4iddYJEac=s0-d-e1-ft

2023 Total Player Payments

In the first year of the newly negotiated five year 2023-27 CBA, the 2023 Total Player Payment Limit was set at $15.0m per club, representing a 10.96 per cent uplift from 2022. Gross Player Payments increased by 9.04 per cent from $257.6m in 2022 to $280.9m in 2023.

Additional Service Agreement payments for the provision of marketing services by players remained relatively flat with an increase of 1.68 per cent, from $22.5m in 2022 to $22.8m in 2023.

The 2023 Additional Services Agreement Limit was $1.3m per Club, representing a 3.00 per cent uplift from 2022. In addition to these amounts, players earned $1.9m from employment and marketing arrangements with associates of clubs. At a consolidated level, across gross player payments, Additional Services Agreements, employment agreements, and marketing arrangements with associates of the clubs, the total earned by players in 2023 was $305.2m, an increase of 8.68 per cent on the 2022 total of $280.8m.

The average payment by clubs for a listed player in 2023 was $441,464 (or $476,215 for players who played at least one senior match), an increase of 8.71 per cent from 2022.

In 2023, we had 19 players earn more than 1m, compared to 12 in 2022. Numbers of players earning more than 1.2m is now eight, compared to three.

The AFL doesnt exist to make big profits, if it did distributions would be smaller. Thats the mistake NRL folks make when they compare the two results. The AFL HAS assets - the loan to buy Marvel should now be paid off - while the NRL is desperately trying to build them.

Spending it on grassroots and AFLW is much better than getting another 50m.

The distributions are based off a percentage of revenue though not profits is my understanding. Also they shouldn't put all the eggs in the marvel basket, they should be diversifying the business outside of the one site. I like Vlandy's approach to buying hotels, they make money and the land cost increases. The loan on marvel still had 90 mill on it last year from memory. I do like the increase in spend on grassroots, that's the only positive in the information I could see. On W, I've mentioned before, 9 months of the year these players are on holidays and all they do is travel the world, weekdays, weekends partying.
I know because I follow a heap on my Instagram. It's a great gig, a 12 month salary for 3 months of work, that wasted money could go into more advertising in the northern states, they only spend 5 million annually, no wonder half of Sydney dont know the giants exist.

Man, you are really clinging on to this one.

The AFL is a not for profit. Ultimately it needs to re-invest any surplus and accumulating capital that doesn't do anything directly for the game is worthless beyond maintaining contingency.

The fact it is getting surpluses of this size while fully funding the new AFLW deal, ahead of another step change in broadcast rights is really positive

Yeah so my take on it is 27 mill in a record year, compared to 20 mill in 2022 in a difficult year for crowds, is very underwhelming. It makes me think how close were they riding the line if they weren't fortunate with Collingwood, Carlton and a record finals series and successful new gather round to fill the coffers? They won't have years like 2023 too often.

Particularly when you take into account the nrl made a 60 mill profit last year off revenue of 590million, the AFL make 27million off revenue of almost 1 billion? It tells me the spending is too excessive.

Also over $13 million for executive salaries across 10 people? That's way too much, for example my ceo is only on 650k or so, for a business with over 100 employees and 5000 members. I'm guessing that's guys like Rob Auld on over $1 million per year, that's ridiculous.

Now I know the afl is a not for profit organisation, but those profits can be put back into buying assets that make even more money, diversifying the business outside of marvel stadium (as per the nrl are doing buying hotels).

The AFL have a financial committee headed by Richard the invisible man Goyder, what are they investing in I wonder? I wonder if he suggested charging deceased AFL members to bring in some cash like at Qantas 😅, that would be his best suggestion yet as they don't seem to being doing anything else outside marvel (which is government funded mind you).

I just feel as though the gap is too small for the difference in revenues and spend at AFL house compared to NRL HQ.

Hopefully now Travis Auld is gone they might make bigger profits, he was pretty useless too.

The distributions are based off a percentage of revenue though not profits is my understanding.

its not. Player wages are the only thing based off a percentage of revenue.

Also they shouldn't put all the eggs in the marvel basket, they should be diversifying the business outside of the one site.

They also own half of Champion Data.

I like Vlandy's approach to buying hotels, they make money and the land cost increases. The loan on marvel still had 90 mill on it last year from memory.

So does Marvel. Its land cost hasnt diminished at all either, and it fits within the core business of the league. I expect that to have been paid off this year.

I do like the increase in spend on grassroots, that's the only positive in the information I could see. On W, I've mentioned before, 9 months of the year these players are on holidays and all they do is travel the world, weekdays, weekends partying.
I know because I follow a heap on my Instagram. It's a great gig, a 12 month salary for 3 months of work, that wasted money could go into more advertising in the northern states, they only spend 5 million annually, no wonder half of Sydney dont know the giants exist.

They also all play state league. where does that fit your narrative.

Yeah so my take on it is 27 mill in a record year, compared to 20 mill in 2022 in a difficult year for crowds, is very underwhelming. It makes me think how close were they riding the line if they weren't fortunate with Collingwood, Carlton and a record finals series and successful new gather round to fill the coffers? They won't have years like 2023 too often.

If they needed more profit, theyd spend less.

Particularly when you take into account the nrl made a 60 mill profit last year off revenue of 590million, the AFL make 27million off revenue of almost 1 billion? It tells me the spending is too excessive.

The NRL is desperately pushing to buy assets. The AFL has its assets already, its not in particularly dire need of more.

Also over $13 million for executive salaries across 10 people? That's way too much, for example my ceo is only on 650k or so, for a business with over 100 employees and 5000 members. I'm guessing that's guys like Rob Auld on over $1 million per year, that's ridiculous.

The AFL, who directly employees all the umpires for the league, the admin staff at AFL HQ - and AFL Vic, AFL QLD, AFLNSW/ACT, AFL Tas and AFL NT, as well as development officers and a variety of other staff....and 65,000 members of its own.

Thats even not counting that technically the AFL is the co-employer of every player in the AFL and AFLW as the contracts are tripartitie - club, player and league.

Now I know the afl is a not for profit organisation, but those profits can be put back into buying assets that make even more money, diversifying the business outside of marvel stadium (as per the nrl are doing buying hotels).

They dont really need to. The Land that Docklands sits on was estimated to be worth a billion...in 2012. The stadium got them a line of credit worth 600m during COVID, They dont need to spend money on assets they dont really need when that money can go to grass roots and development and clubs and aflw

The AFL have a financial committee headed by Richard the invisible man Goyder, what are they investing in I wonder? I wonder if he suggested charging deceased AFL members to bring in some cash like at Qantas 😅, that would be his best suggestion yet as they don't seem to being doing anything else outside marvel (which is government funded mind you).

I just feel as though the gap is too small for the difference in revenues and spend at AFL house compared to NRL HQ.

Then dont compare the two. They dont have the same needs or requirements.

Obviously not going to convince you on this but 2023 represents the first year of a new EBA with a massive step change for the AFLW in light of a TV deal that runs out to 2031

They may get better and worse years on the field (in terms of big clubs challenging and thus big crowds) but they know for a fact that they will be getting an escalating jump in TV rights from 2025 to 2031 that averages $640 million with contra over the 7 years

What it tells you is that the NRL has learnt from its experience during the pandemic that it needs capital contingency in case of another such event

There is no reason that a NFP sporting competition should be "making" 10% profits other than to address a "vulnerable" balance sheet

Also, that NRL was gearing up to sign a new EBA and club funding agreement. The AFL also funded two AFLW seasons

Fremantle Football Club has announced an operating profit of $1.64m after the royalty payment of $1.84m to the WAFC for the 2023 financial year. The Club’s underlying operating profit before the WAFC royalty contribution was $3.47m. This was on record revenue of 71m.

Membership revenue exceeded 20m
AFL distros 16.9m
Match Revenue 8.2m
Sponsorship 7.763m
Corporate hospitality 6.569m
Signage revenue 4.0m

Fremantle Football Club has announced an operating profit of $1.64m after the royalty payment of $1.84m to the WAFC for the 2023 financial year. The Club’s underlying operating profit before the WAFC royalty contribution was $3.47m. This was on record revenue of 71m.

Membership revenue exceeded 20m
AFL distros 16.9m
Match Revenue 8.2m
Sponsorship 7.763m
Corporate hospitality 6.569m
Signage revenue 4.0m

Am I reading it wrong or is AFL dist: 13.33 mil ?? 43A18394-9351-4AF6-BBEB-D51A264745FF.png

I've been waiting for this, then it's all bloody blurry, pretty unprofessional, makes it hard to read.

Still only $16m contra

Nrl is more than double that on its new deal

Will have to wait two years to know what the contra is for the 25 to 31 rights deal

You can definitely tell this when watching tv, hopefully next year it steps up. It was how 9 low balled the nrl though so can't complain.

960 million in revenue so 260 million in front of the nrl, that will obviously increase again next year. Not a bad position, I'd like to see them decrease their cost base a little going forward, a restructure is long overdue at the afl and a new chairman to replace Mr invisible.

The AFL’s revenue topped a billion dollars for the first time last year at $1.07 billion. Dillon says by “any measure, we’re the No.1 sport”.

The AFL’s attendance records were broken last year with almost 7.5 million fans attending a home and away game. Its revenue was up $104.5 million and it reported a $27.7 million profit in February, which includes its ownership of Marvel Stadium.

Questioned on whether the AFL’s backing of clubs in western Sydney and the Gold Coast has worked, Dillon insists it’s a generational investment.

I've been waiting for this, then it's all bloody blurry, pretty unprofessional, makes it hard to read.

You can definitely tell this when watching tv, hopefully next year it steps up. It was how 9 low balled the nrl though so can't complain.

960 million in revenue so 260 million in front of the nrl, that will obviously increase again next year. Not a bad position, I'd like to see them decrease their cost base a little going forward, a restructure is long overdue at the afl and a new chairman to replace Mr invisible.
Yes there is plenty of fat that could be taken from the 1 x million dollar+ salaries a lot of the top excs get at the AFL!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL’s revenue topped a billion dollars for the first time last year at $1.07 billion. Dillon says by “any measure, we’re the No.1 sport”.

The AFL’s attendance records were broken last year with almost 7.5 million fans attending a home and away game. Its revenue was up $104.5 million and it reported a $27.7 million profit in February, which includes its ownership of Marvel Stadium.

Questioned on whether the AFL’s backing of clubs in western Sydney and the Gold Coast has worked, Dillon insists it’s a generational investment.

All around a good result for the AFL and I expect it to improve again this season and I like the emphasis now more on the football side of the business and investing in growing the game in the northern states and and traditional markets as well.

Seems to me they have been particularly transparent about it

They are to fair. Still funny though, to me at least.

I am happy for AFL the invest every cent they make. There are no shareholders to pay which is good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back