Fixture 2023 Fixture News & Leaks : Round 1 Released, see OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Gone are the days when the then-VFL would release the fixture the day before the 1st cricket Test, thereby ensuring that the back page of most newspapers was all about next season's fixture instead of the cricket. A PR masterstroke by the VFL.

From memory, the AFL did it for a few seasons too before they decided that holding the draft the day before the Test gave them more publicity. Even more cunning was holding the draft over two days in the lead-up to today's Test (what? is the cricket on today?).
They used to put the next years fixture in the Grand Final record in the 70’s.

Def not arguing that there is plenty of space for different sports but it could be argued that given how much everyone is talking about the fixture release the AFL have done a great job.
Surely they would get even more publicity if they released it in a slow sports news day other than one where most of the sports media and public are focused on a different sport.

Yes definitely ‘76 & ‘77, I went to both & kept those records.
Bit easier back then as everyone played each other twice. Just a matter of selecting which games were at Waverley and on a Saturday afternoon

Surely they would get even more publicity if they released it in a slow sports news day other than one where most of the sports media and public are focused on a different sport.
Doubt it the. So many people talking about the timing of the realese that wouldn't have been talking about it otherwise

Lol it takes 2 seconds to look at the fixture, after, during, whenever really.
I'm pretty sure they just wanted to release with the sunday paper anyway.

There's a group of Soccer fans that have a huge victim complex. Like losing their s**t every time someone calls their own code "football" , or the constant "AFL is only played in one country haha losers" or that one person that comments that s**t under every AFL YouTube video. One of the top comments on a Socceroos post was "AFL will be spewing". It's really really weird.

Last edited:
So given Magic round is in round 5 back to back travel for the WA teams will be unavoidable so here is what I think they will do.

Round 1 both away
Round 2 both home
Round 3 Derby
Round 4 Easter WCE hone Freo away
Round 5 Magic round
Round 6 ANZAC day Freo home WCE away

So given Magic round is in round 5 back to back travel for the WA teams will be unavoidable so here is what I think they will do.

Round 1 both away
Round 2 both home
Round 3 Derby
Round 5 Magic round
Most likely what happens is that during the bye weeks they'll have games in Perth for all three weeks.

Most likely what happens is that during the bye weeks they'll have games in Perth for all three weeks.
With Options unavailable round 1 and Magic round in round 5 they'll have to do something early in the season which is why I think a round 3 Derby makes sense. West Coast always host Easter and Freo always host ANZAC day round

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Options unavailable round 1 and Magic round in round 5 they'll have to do something early in the season which is why I think a round 3 Derby makes sense. West Coast always host Easter and Freo always host ANZAC day round
What usually happens with 22 games is that over the three bye rounds you only get 2 games in Perth, Adelaide etc. Magic round is irrelevant to the 11 home and away games you play.

They will try to avoid doubling up on Perth Stadium on one weekend if at all possible. Essentially:

Rounds 2-4 and 6-24 will all have games in Perth. That gets each the 11 home games they need there.

Round 1 both away
Round 2 both home
Round 3 Derby
Round 5 Magic round
When Adelaide Ocal was unavailable for round 1 of 2014 they played showdown in round 2. So derby round 2 perhaps.

Lol it takes 2 seconds to look at the fixture, after, during, whenever really.
I'm pretty sure they just wanted to release with the sunday paper anyway.

There's a group of Soccer fans that have a huge victim complex. Like losing their s**t every time someone calls their code "football" , or the constant "AFL is only played in one country haha losers" or that one person that comments that s**t under every AFL YouTube video. One of the top comments on a Socceroos post was "AFL will be spewing". It's really really weird.
Yeah, completely agree. The obsession that many Australian soccer fans have with Australian rules - and the need to position themselves as the victim at every opportunity - really is off the charts.

That said, the AFL's scheduling of this release was just dumb. I've no idea whether they planned this to draw attention from the WC, but it seems pretty obvious that it's the release of the fixture that was going to lose out if it's competing with the Socceroos playing Argentina in the round of 16.

If magic round is in Round 5, wouldn't that mean both WA teams have to play at home in all of Rounds 2, 4 and 6? If so it would mean the derby would have to be in Round 6 so after that they can schedule one game in Perth each week with teams alternating travel.

I guess both derbies could be scheduled in the first 6 weeks but that would be unusual.

It's actually a great chance for the AFL and a WA club to be adventurous and say "we'll play on Monday night, then the following Saturday, then the Thursday after that, all in Melbourne, and then come home and play a couple of home games in a row and be the away team for a derby in between".

3 games in 10 days might be appealing to players; it would mean only another 7 interstate trips for the whole season, and minimal training during that first period of travel.

Three journo's complain, making it a "widespread backlash" LMAO
*, I did not even know there was a soccer game on until I was driving to shopping centre Sunday arvo and hear in car radio there was some pepper spray of people in city overnight and assumed cooker and religious types but then I heard it was for some soccer fans wanting to congregate in Federation square to watch a game on big screen.

On the topic of releasing it during the socceroos game.

Perhaps it was intentional, but for a different reason. The AFL knew it'd receive backlash for having all the Victorian teams at home in Rd 1. So they wanted to hide the release behind something bigger to mitigate the backlash?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back