Fixture 2023 Fixture News & Leaks : Round 1 Released, see OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Norwood is a 15 minute drive from AO. I wanted a suburban ground rather than a stadium.
Itā€™s disrespectful that Modbury Hawks arenā€™t in the SANFL as the oldest club in South Australian history. Not using their suburban ground during gather round should be a crime.

Fremantle will play in SA in Round 4, as per a member email. Two games in a row in SA consequently Rounds 4-5. You'd assume they wouldn't dare give Fremantle a prime time away Friday night game so bet on a Saturday game at AO in R4 for the Dockers.
Probably Friday night because there is usually a Friday night interstate game on Good Friday, and Adelaide are playing the next Thursday so makes sense to play it Friday night.

Probably Friday night because there is usually a Friday night interstate game on Good Friday, and Adelaide are playing the next Thursday so makes sense to play it Friday night.
Exactly and the Good Friday night game isn't a Channel 7 produced game, so by having one Adelaide and one Perth team playing they get to show it in those cities whilst Melbourne gets the Good Friday Appeal telethon.

I doubt it because the derby is scheduled for sunday twilight the round before, so that would have us playing off a five day break with travel. Not even the AFL are that stupid

I doubt it because the derby is scheduled for sunday twilight the round before, so that would have us playing off a five day break with travel. Not even the AFL are that stupid
You do realise each club can be imposed a maximum of one 5 day break under the current agreement.

Fremantle will play in SA in Round 4, as per a member email. Two games in a row in SA consequently Rounds 4-5. You'd assume they wouldn't dare give Fremantle a prime time away Friday night game so bet on a Saturday game at AO in R4 for the Dockers.

I reckon Round 6 Friday night will be Dockers v Blues at Optus.
Pure guess I might add, but makes sense, I doubt we will play interstate in rounds 1 - 4 then we play the "neutral" venue on the Thursday night Round 5 and the Dockers play the day after.
Again just speculation on my behalf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide have had a Good Friday game before (against Gold Coast in 2021) which was well attended given the opposition.

When will people start to realise theyā€™re not losing a home game with this concept. All 18 clubs will still get 11 home and away games in addition to this new round.

Could be Freo play a Sunday game and just hang around SA for the week. Might even explain the really awkward timing of Freo's game in Round 5, maybe the players only agreed to spend a few days in SA and are flying back that night.

If they were playing Port on a Sunday in Round 4 that would explain why Port are part of the Saturday double header in Round 5, rather than a standalone Thursday or Friday game that you would've assumed.

I agree they're probably keeping the National club v National club Good Friday night game and that Adelaide will probably be part of it given them playing the Thursday the next week, so maybe West Coast v Adelaide at Optus on Good Friday night and Port v Fremantle at AO on Easter Sunday.

Geez, Sunday now?

This is like me with work deadlines. ā€œSorry, wonā€™t have it to you by COB today but will endeavour to finalize it by Mondayā€¦ā€
You should be thankful that they have released 2 rounds so early. They could do it 1 a week right up until round 1 so we know the first 15-16 weeks

If they are playing in Adelaide then will guarantee it will be against Adelaide. Port Adelaide donā€™t play that often in Adelaide over Easter.

Port last played over Easter in R1, 2016 when coincidentally it was the first round. Since the 2014 season when games started at Adelaide Oval, they have played only once over Easter.

If there has to be a Good Friday game in SA or WA then it might be us hosting. Weā€™ve had Good Friday home games a couple of times including last year.

Weā€™d only have a five day break from the Derby but both games would be in WA so thatā€™s less of an issue.

If they are playing in Adelaide then will guarantee it will be against Adelaide. Port Adelaide donā€™t play that often in Adelaide over Easter.

Port last played over Easter in R1, 2016 when coincidentally it was the first round. Since the 2014 season when games started at Adelaide Oval, they have played only once over Easter.
Adelaide typically have hosted Round 1 games but this year we are, maybe it's a trade off for that? I reckon Port were going to be home over Easter in 2020 before that all hit the fan too, so while it's uncommon it's not something that never happens.

That being said, Port typically request ANZAC at home though and that would mean 3 weeks in a row in Adelaide so now I think about it it's probably not happening unless Adelaide have be given that one.

Adelaide typically have hosted Round 1 games but this year we are, maybe it's a trade off for that? I reckon Port were going to be home over Easter in 2020 before that all hit the fan too, so while it's uncommon it's not something that never happens.

That being said, Port typically request ANZAC at home though and that would mean 3 weeks in a row in Adelaide so now I think about it it's probably not happening unless Adelaide have be given that one.

ANZAC round is now synonymous with Port so donā€™t expect we will be playing that weekend.

And yes you were correct in 2020 you were hosting West Coast on Good Friday, so that would have been the second time in 9 years.

It is possible to play 3 weeks in a row at Adelaide Oval but generally involves a Showdown for example - home game, away Showdown, home game like it did for Port this year - Hawks/Adelaide/Melbourne.

Any rate, AFL just release the bloody fixture.

This delay in releasing the fixture has been a disaster for clubs.

Will impact membership sales and cash flow for clubs

Complete balls up, by the time they do it, people will be in holiday mode and will not GAF

Joke

When will people start to realise theyā€™re not losing a home game with this concept. All 18 clubs will still get 11 home and away games in addition to this new round.
The state which hosts it will gain a 12th home game, their direct opponents will be forced into another away game.

Only way this round makes sense is in Tassie or NT, hopefully no one rocks up and the whole things flicked to the kerb as a failed project.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back