Fixture 2023 Fixture News & Leaks : Round 1 Released, see OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide and Port get a huge leg up by having SA host magic round. I can't see how they should get an extra advantage by playing teams from interstate.

They're getting 11 home games outside of this anyway. In essence now both are getting 12 home games in Adelaide against non-SA club's.

Then we can call it a counter-balance for all the travelling the teams in SA that have to make.

Remember they do cross the border for all bar one of their away games each year (and the WA, NSW and Qld teams will get the benefits when their turn comes as well).

As opposed to the Victorian clubs who only cross the border a handful of times per season.

So North v Blues on Good Friday apparently.
Agreed, in fairness (least from an on field perspective and performance) it should have been North Melbourne, not The Dogs that should have been punted if the AFL wanted a bigger club like Carlton, but we all know the AFL doesn't really operate like that.

The AFL imo owes the Doggies a bone and should at least try throw your club and have a Marquee game/annual fixture against say The Dees on another public holiday if possible.
Frankly I am a bit sick of Hawthorn v Geelong on Easter Monday, would be happy for Dogs v Dees to replace that for a few years or so.
No massive issues with this, isn't the hospital that the whole appeal is based on physically between those suburbs anyway? But now that Carlton seemingly have a marquee game, and Richmond have the Dreamtime game and the horribly manufactured night before ANZAC one, we can drop the need for the Richmond / Carlton opener going forward, right?

Bulldogs and Saints can play the "oh yeah I forgot about those guys" cup marquee match on a Tuesday night in July.

That's the point, wherever it's held, it should 100% have a Derby or Showdown so that the other clubs don't get disadvantaged by it.
There is no advantage/disadvantage. Crows/Port still play 13 games in SA, 2 v SA clubs, 11 v non SA clubs. In fact not having the Showdown at Magic Round means one less interstate team travels to SA (give they are going there anyway).

No massive issues with this, isn't the hospital that the whole appeal is based on physically between those suburbs anyway? But now that Carlton seemingly have a marquee game, and Richmond have the Dreamtime game and the horribly manufactured night before ANZAC one, we can drop the need for the Richmond / Carlton opener going forward, right?

Bulldogs and Saints can play the "oh yeah I forgot about those guys" cup marquee match on a Tuesday night in July.

The TV ratings and crowd figures (rightly or wrongly) will dictate Blues v Tigers will be the season opening game for years.

Last season kicking off with the Grand Final replay between Dees v Dogs was perfectly understandable, given the Dees won their first flag in almost 60 years in WA due to Covid,

Last edited by a moderator:
The TV ratings and crowd figures (rightly or wrongly) will dictate Blues v Tigers will be the season opening game for years.

Last season kicking off with the Grand Final replay between Dees v Dogs was perfectly understandable, given the Dees won their first flag in almost 60 years in WA due to Covid,
Yeah sadly I don't see it going anywhere. I'd really like to see a fair comparison to see if it really does rate / pull a crowd that much higher than any other game to open the season / just having them two play on Saturday night or something, and I don't think last year's works because just adding a Wednesday game isn't appealing to many. But yeah I don't see it getting changed.

Interesting about the ANZAC stuff, not something I knew, but I guess the Bombers / Collingwood game is so ingrained in when I think of ANZAC day that I don't find it offensive, apart from the shocking Guernsey's flogged off that just go into club pockets anyway, plus I don't see it changing ever. The night before ANZAC game I hate every part of though, from the manufacturing of another marquee game right down to the really poor taste nickname of ANZAC Eve which invokes Christmas Eve and being so excited you can't wait for Christmas but applies it to a holiday that isn't about that at all. The whole thing doesn't sit well with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not so much with the Grand Prix though lol :)

But I like your proposal generally.
Obviously you never went to the f1 in adelaide.
Street circuit, end of year race when championships are on the line it was awesome.

Just because griff Logue went to north.
Doesn’t mean north are better than the dockers.
Just more cash to splash

Yeah sadly I don't see it going anywhere. I'd really like to see a fair comparison to see if it really does rate / pull a crowd that much higher than any other game to open the season / just having them two play on Saturday night or something, and I don't think last year's works because just adding a Wednesday game isn't appealing to many. But yeah I don't see it getting changed.

Interesting about the ANZAC stuff, not something I knew, but I guess the Bombers / Collingwood game is so ingrained in when I think of ANZAC day that I don't find it offensive, apart from the shocking Guernsey's flogged off that just go into club pockets anyway, plus I don't see it changing ever. The night before ANZAC game I hate every part of though, from the manufacturing of another marquee game right down to the really poor taste nickname of ANZAC Eve which invokes Christmas Eve and being so excited you can't wait for Christmas but applies it to a holiday that isn't about that at all. The whole thing doesn't sit well with me.

Is the floating/flexible fixture still a thing ?

If Adelaide and Port are doing well after four rounds, I would love to see a SA showdown on Prime Time FTA (either Friday or Saturday Night) on Saturday Night, I don't think I have missed any of those classic games in years (except on the odd occasion they clashed with Carlton playing), both SA clubs are on the rise, I really want the AFL and Channel 7 to start pumping up these Showdown games on a national scale, would much rather that than watching a predictable yawn fest between Essendon and Hawthorn on a prime time slot again.

the china games were home for us and as a result we lost a metricon home game. just saying
Hopefully replacing us with Carlton will mean more than 5k North fans rock up.

Dogs have beaten North by a combined 196 points the last 2 GF games, and North have gone into the 3 North / Dogs GF games with a 1-8 w/l record. Would not inspire too many home fans to go along.

Dogs get the flick though.

Dogs have beaten North by a combined 196 points the last 2 GF games, and North have gone into the 3 North / Dogs GF games with a 1-8 w/l record. Would not inspire too many home fans to go along.

Dogs get the flick though.

Makes no sense, get rid of the Dogs because they're too good.

Dogs vs Saints would've been interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton v Geelong at MCG in Round 2 on either the Thursday or Friday night.

Good chance of Collingwood v Richmond on the other night.

I am willing to bet my house Channel 7 pushed hard for Carlton to be part of the Good Friday game..
I don't even know why anyone cares. It's usually the lowest rating Friday game of the year and the AFL normally schedule a far more interesting game that night.

Hardly blockbuster territory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back