Fixture 2023 Fixture News & Leaks : Round 1 Released, see OP

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Geelong is only required to play 2 home games at the MCG per year one will be Hawthorn and the other Collingwood as per top 4 double ups

So if GMHBA stadium is ready by round 8-9, there's a realistic chance Geelong could only miss two home games at GMHBA while not compromising the fixture? Seems reasonable.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
That was Sheedys cunning benefit. Having said that, it’s Essendon’s fault it hasn’t taken off. It just needed one iteration of a top 4 encounter blockbuster on a Sunny day at the MCG to deliver the 75,000+ crowd it needed to go on with it from there. The concept is sound but needs a big crowd and good contest to generate the widespread interest to secure its success.

The concept is sound, if it was played in the country perhaps.

Dec 18, 2013
Leaning against the boundary fence
AFL Club
Carlton
Just wondering if people think this season's AFL schedule will be delayed due to new deals yet to be signed by North and Hawks due to the Tasmania AFL negotiations.

If Tassie don't get a licence, then there'll be no more AFL games in Tassie as their state government will not contribute any money towards those games.

Carlton Richmond likely opener

Potentially Collingwood Melbourne early in the season

Hawthorn want to host Essendon round 1 for 40th anniversary of the 83 flag

For the first 15 rounds game times will be locked in
Okay thanks mate for the overview, still annoys the living crap out of me why we don’t have full dates and times for all 23 rounds though like name me one professional sporting organisation who actually does that :mad:

Looks like the money these days, will always be the number 1 priority for the AFL now and not for their own members and supporters instead (unless they change it for 2024+ which is unlikely), which is pretty sad on all levels IMO :huh:

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Okay thanks mate for the overview, still annoys the living crap out of me why we don’t have full dates and times for all 23 rounds though like name me one professional sporting organisation who actually does that :mad:

Looks like money these days, will always be the number 1 priority for the AFL and not for their own members and supporters instead, which is pretty sad on all levels IMO :huh:
Forgot to mention likely to be 24 rounds due to the magic round with teams playing 23 games

Use archive.ph to view heraldsun articles

Forgot to mention likely to be 24 rounds due to the magic round with teams playing 23 games

Use archive.ph to view heraldsun articles
talking season 3 GIF

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Might as well take Good Friday off North for a few years until they are competitive again the game has been a total write off for years now. When they finish top 8 they can rotate back into it
Lucky you have 1 other team in your state to worry about.
If North get Good Friday taken off them they won’t be getting it back.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong is only required to play 2 home games at the MCG per year one will be Hawthorn and the other Collingwood as per top 4 double ups
we're not contracted to play any games at the MCG. The AFL dishes them off to us because they let other clubs like Hawthorn sell games interstate, and they have a contract for 45 games at the G they need to fill

One thing i would love changed is the way they do the bye rounds..
why can't they play Round 12 over two weeks? spread out over 3 weeks sucks.
have a split round.. 5 games one week, 4 the next.
The issue is, tv rules.
and the byes give that compromise where the tv gets Thursday night footy, and the players get their rest.

And if you go with a 5/4 split, that 4 would be Thursday Night, Friday Night, Saturday Night and either saturday afternoon or Sunday afternoon.
On one hand, that's a good community weekend. On the other, the AFL would hate being out of the spotlight.

There's probably a better chance of going to 9 rounds of byes with 2 teams a week the going back to the old 5/4 split round or worse. All games 1 week and Sydney vs Collingwood Saturday Night in Sydney the other.

Has the start date for the season been locked in?

Mid-March felt quite early this year (and potentially next)
I would assume the extra round would cause the season to start a week earlier, given it seems to be replacing having an official preseason match and to allow the Grand Final to remain at the same time.

Interestingly a week earlier would mean round 1 most years (including next year) falls on a long weekend in Victoria / SA / Tas / ACT - I wonder whether they could, for example, make a Round 1 marquee match in SA or Tasmania or whatever on the Sunday night or something given the public holiday the next day.

Seattle Mariners

Team Captain
Sep 14, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sam Edmund on SEN reporting that the fixture is due out around mid November with the magic round venue still to be confirmed.

I would still budget for late November/early December.

sutto

Debutant
Feb 16, 2008
Burnie
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton,Redskins,Anaheim

The NFL and the EPL do that.

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
Sam Edmund on SEN reporting that the fixture is due out around mid November with the magic round venue still to be confirmed.

I would still budget for late November/early December.
They will drip feed the first round for 2 weeks before the release.

Feb 7, 2009
lost somewhere in time
AFL Club
Geelong
When is the new grandstand at GMHBA going to be ready? If there is a chance it will be ready by mid-year then expect Geelong to have a couple of home games at the MCG with the rest of their home games back ended to the second half of the season.
An early home game against the Tigers at Marvel would be ideal considering their reluctance to play at Kardinia Park and their coaches love of the road trip to Marvel

Back