Fixture 2023 Fixture News & Leaks : Round 1 Released, see OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Suspect we get a Tassie announcement before the fixture. The North/Hawthorn games in Tassie will depend on that announcement.

Suspect we get a Tassie announcement before the fixture. The North/Hawthorn games in Tassie will depend on that announcement.
It will depend on if we get an announcement of funding for the stadium from the federal government.

It will depend on if we get an announcement of funding for the stadium from the federal government.
Well yeah think that happens soon as well, basically, don't think we get the fixture until any tassie announcement. It won't come after the fixture is announced.

Will be "Tassie team to enter in x year, Hawthorn and North to continue/stop/play less etc, until then"

Well yeah think that happens soon as well, basically, don't think we get the fixture until any tassie announcement. It won't come after the fixture is announced.

Will be "Tassie team to enter in x year, Hawthorn and North to continue/stop/play less etc, until then"
The federal government may not announce funding for months yet,they haven't even seen the business case yet so it is definitely been left until the last minute.

First Draft has the Crows playing Double Ups against.
Fremantle
Port
St Kilda
Gold Coast
Hawthorn

Yay No Frigg’n Ballarat
(I know we beat them there)?
WB turn to play in ADL.

With regards to Magic Round- From my understanding, All games will be at neutral venues, apart from the two home state teams. If Magic round is in nsw for example. Sydney would play at the SCG, GWS at Giants stadium, and this would count as one of its 11 home games. So Sydney teams don’t get an additional home game advantage, the battle of the bridge games will be played at the neutral venue, I can only assume ANZ.

With regards to Magic Round- From my understanding, All games will be at neutral venues, apart from the two home state teams. If Magic round is in nsw for example. Sydney would play at the SCG, GWS at Giants stadium, and this would count as one of its 11 home games. So Sydney teams don’t get an additional home game advantage, the battle of the bridge games will be played at the neutral venue, I can only assume ANZ.
Keeping the neutral games in the back pocket for the four teams involved - Swans, Giants and their two opponents - and using them to host neutral games elsewhere, makes sense if they are desperately against having the Sydney teams get an extra game at their home venue. But I don't understand why they need to be? The SA/WA teams all play 12 games at their home venue and the Vic teams could play as many as 15 or something at their home venues. Just doesn't seem like something to worry about.

When is the new grandstand at GMHBA going to be ready? If there is a chance it will be ready by mid-year then expect Geelong to have a couple of home games at the MCG with the rest of their home games back ended to the second half of the season.
Seems to happen a lot anyway. We always get backended GMHBA games,

Keeping the neutral games in the back pocket for the four teams involved - Swans, Giants and their two opponents - and using them to host neutral games elsewhere, makes sense if they are desperately against having the Sydney teams get an extra game at their home venue. But I don't understand why they need to be? The SA/WA teams all play 12 games at their home venue and the Vic teams could play as many as 15 or something at their home venues. Just doesn't seem like something to worry about.
I would say playing at their home ground 12 times isn’t the issue but having a home ground advantage is. Defining home ground advantage as: playing against a team that doesn’t use the same ground for home games. No team plays 12 games with a home ground advantage.

Swans will play at ACCOR and Giants at SCG in Magic Round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So will anyone actually travel to watch their team in magic round with the inevitably inflated flight and accommodation costs?
You already get half a dozen chances to travel interstate each year. Not sure why you would choose to go on magic round when it’s going to be more expensive than ever.

Part of going interstate to see a game is to experience that home crowd. Magic round won’t even have that.
It just does not appeal to me at all.

So will anyone actually travel to watch their team in magic round with the inevitably inflated flight and accommodation costs?
You already get half a dozen chances to travel interstate each year. Not sure why you would choose to go on magic round when it’s going to be more expensive than ever.

Part of going interstate to see a game is to experience that home crowd. Magic round won’t even have that.
School holidays. The AFL rarely think about this when they schedule teams to play interstate on Friday night and Sunday twilight. Driving and camping is also a more affordable option and it's more doable when it's in school holidays.

As a kid, being a Port supporter living with my mum, who is a Crows supporter, we would usually go to one interstate game a year, the compromise being that we would do Port one year, Crows the next. Had magic round existed where we could go interested and attend both, we definitely would've used it.

The appeal mightn't be as clear for Victorian fans as it is for those from 2 team states, who could use it as opportunity to see both teams with their family / friends. It's not a thing I am desperate for but I don't hate the idea.

I actually think it will be an enormous success. Fans from Victoria will travel in their drives to watch their team and have a weekend away.

So if April and school holidays line up, I'd expect Magic round to be the weekend of the 15th/16th of April. It's the middle weekend of holidays for Victoria, New South Wales and Western Australia, the last weekend for Queensland and the first weekend for South Australia.

There would be a small possibility of it being the previous weekend to be better for Queensland. It still works for Vic and WA who actually start their holidays on the Friday the week prior. But it'd be a push for NSW as their holidays officially start Monday the 10th. So sure, you could play their games on the 8th or 9th on the weekend. But wouldn't exactly be as friendly for their fans as the following week would be. And to help with Qld, you could play Brisbane on the Friday Night and Gold Coast Saturday afternoon or something to help everyone get back to school the Monday.

I'd assume SANFL to be Glenelg Oval and Norwood Oval, although the WWT Eagles ground might be a viable third option.
Glenelg Oval makes the SCG look like the MCG (Same length, 20m narrower)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back