Fixture 2023 Fixture News & Leaks : Round 1 Released, see OP

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Hopefully we play WC twice. Or at least in Melbourne. Haven't played them here since 2017
That is appalling. Subi was our home ground the last time we played you in Melbourne.

We haven't played the Dees at the MCG for years either. Also, Brisbane hasn't played us at Optus, the last time we got them at home was 2017 (our last year playing at Subi).

Seattle Mariners

Team Captain
Sep 14, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne
That is appalling. Subi was our home ground the last time we played you in Melbourne.

We haven't played the Dees at the MCG for years either. Also, Brisbane hasn't played us at Optus, the last time we got them at home was 2017 (our last year playing at Subi).
Melbourne haven’t played West Coast at the MCG since 2014 and we haven’t beaten you blokes at the G since 2009.

Rhysswans13

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Sydney haven't played Collingwood in Melbourne since Round 9 2013, which was also the last time these 2 teams met twice in a Home and Away season. I think this fixture would easily pull +60k if early in the season.

I would also like to see the Sydney Derby on Good Friday evening as that would pull +35k and it would be the Foxtel game meaning it wouldn't affect Seven's request for a Victorian team being involved in a Friday evening free to air match.

Seattle Mariners

Team Captain
Sep 14, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne
Would like to see a club take over and annually own the Sunday night before queens birthday slot, has real potential
Something like in 2021 - West Coast V Richmond which was an absolute belter of a game at Optus.

Would certainly need to beat this year's Queens Birthday eve offering - North V GWS at 3:20pm.

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
Sydney haven't played Collingwood in Melbourne since Round 9 2013, which was also the last time these 2 teams met twice in a Home and Away season. I think this fixture would easily pull +60k if early in the season.

I would also like to see the Sydney Derby on Good Friday evening as that would pull +35k and it would be the Foxtel game meaning it wouldn't affect Seven's request for a Victorian team being involved in a Friday evening free to air match.
The double up thing I think is merely a result of where the 2 teams have sat on the ladder in the respective years. But in terms of playing Collingwood in Sydney, I'm pretty sure Collingwood request they play Sydney in Sydney as 1. It's a quick away game and 2. They get a good crowd there.

I wish the AFL just got rid of fixture requests.

Because 1 club can request one thing, which leads to another requesting something else, which leads to the original club complaining.

For example

Port Adelaide request home ANZAC Day game.

Which leads to Adelaide requesting home Indigenous round game.

Which leads to Port Adelaide complaining they can't have indigenous round infront of their own fans.

Or there's the unintended consequences when a club makes a request without any foresight.

For example

Port Adelaide request home ANZAC Day game.

Which leads to inevitably with the rotation of fixtures (h-a-h-a etc.) between them and Adelaide, them complaining 2 weeks later when they get home Mothers Day games.

If we just got rid of these requests of where/when/who you play, get rid of the compromisation of the fixture that we have. It can be better for all.

parano1a

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
The Brisbane Broncos will play 3 home games at the Gabba in 2023 due to Suncorp Stadium being in use for the Women's Soccer World Cup. This will mean the Brisbane Lions will not be able to host home games on these dates.

The games are as follows:
Saturday 1 July: Broncos v Dolphins (Gabba) 7.35pm
Thursday 27 July: Broncos v Roosters (Gabba) 7.50pm
Friday 11 August: Broncos v Eels (Gabba) 8.00pm

Seattle Mariners

Team Captain
Sep 14, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne
The Brisbane Broncos will play 3 home games at the Gabba in 2023 due to Suncorp Stadium being in use for the Women's Soccer World Cup. This will mean the Brisbane Lions will not be able to host home games on these dates.

That's great to know.

Any danger we can get some leaks from the media re: AFL?
Been a poor 10 or so days from the media in regards to fixture news.

Probably would have been factored in and those will be GC home weekends

Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane
Re: Magic Round, how would they structure it? NRL is 2 x Friday, 3 x Saturday and 3 x Sunday - AFL has an extra game plus the games are longer so I don't think you can do 4 in a day?
You could possibly do 4 in a day if prior opportunity was eliminated and last touch out of bounds (which Brad Scott was going to introduce before making a very foolish career choice) was introduced. Quarters would be a few minutes shorter as a result of less stoppages. Over the course of a day that would make a difference.

Super Saturday: 12:10, 2:50, 5:30, 8:10

It's a bit of a late finish admittedly but a bumper day at the footy.

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
Confirmed SA to host Magic Round. Announcement tomorrow. Also confirmed there will be a game in the Barossa.

I can only find Tanunda Football Club have an oval, Angaston Football Club do. I'm sure there is a Barossa league? Will only be old school park ovals though. Which I kinda like. And in a way hope Sydney play out there. Wine time.

Southern Sun

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Confirmed SA to host Magic Round. Announcement tomorrow. Also confirmed there will be a game in the Barossa.

I can only find Tanunda Football Club have an oval, Angaston Football Club do. I'm sure there is a Barossa league? Will only be old school park ovals though. Which I kinda like. And in a way hope Sydney play out there. Wine time.
Only suitable ovals I can think of might be Nuriootpa, willaston and gawler central which is inside the greyhound track. Not sure what the facilities are like at these grounds as I haven't been out there for a while. Nuriootpa the only true barossa ground though as the others are in gawler. Other barossa grounds would be tanunda, Angaston, Williamstown, Lyndoch none of those ovals would be afl standard wouldn't have thought.

Oh My God Omg GIF by The Office

Seattle Mariners

Team Captain
Sep 14, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne

I wonder if the full magic round fixture will be revealed tomorrow?

mcs095

All Australian
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney

Come on - red and white in wine country - makes perfect sense to me :)

I actually think it’s a waste to have Dunkley game at round one because there’s added interest that can bump any other round that isnt a normal booster.

Back