Fixture 2023 Fixture News & Leaks : Round 1 Released, see OP

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually think it’s a waste to have Dunkley game at round one because there’s added interest that can bump any other round that isnt a normal booster.
Thing is, it wouldn't really boost a Brisbane crowd.

It'd be the petty Bulldogs fans who'd turn up for the revenge game, which would be in Melbourne, which would still be later in the season.

Seattle Mariners

Team Captain
Sep 14, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne
Apologies if already mentioned, channel 9 sport saying fixture due out in first week of December.
So the days of releasing the fixture in the last week of October are long gone.

They usually release the fixture on a Thursday so it will be either 1 December or 8 December.

Round 1 should be announced the weekend of Nov 26-27 IMO.

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United

They usually release the fixture on a Thursday so it will be either 1 December or 8 December.

The "Magic Round" fixture will be released a week before the fixture is released according to the SA premier today SEN radio.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
I actually think it’s a waste to have Dunkley game at round one because there’s added interest that can bump any other round that isnt a normal booster.
Do any fans actually care about that stuff? Dunkley ain’t Carey or Buddy (the only two in the last 30 years that have had interest for me).

Do any fans actually care about that stuff? Dunkley ain’t Carey or Buddy (the only two in the last 30 years that have had interest for me).

Yeah, you have a point. But they (media\afl) definitely still try to pump this sort of stuff up.

AzzaLow

Rookie
Oct 9, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hawthorns other requests should be not having to play Port at either AO or Marvel how many times do the mighty Hawthorn Hawks have to play Pear on grounds that suit them I have not looked but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they have not played at the g since the 2014 preliminary final in only what can be described as a bonefied classic.
also Sydney at the SCG we seem to have the wood over them there, Giants at Manuka also ( G sized ish )

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Mindless speculation but i reckon you can almost take to the bank that a night game on Sunday April 23rd will be Freo v Carlton or Bulldogs at Optus.
They'd put Freo Dogs at Optus on a saturday night now that they've played each other in a final. If its at Marvel though they'll probably put it on a tuesday night lol.

They'd put Freo Dogs at Optus on a saturday night now that they've played each other in a final. If its at Marvel though they'll probably put it on a tuesday night lol.
I think what Wizard is referring to is Freo vs Dogs would be our marquee Len Hall Tribute game, our Anzac Day (adjacent) game.

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

That’s AFLW final weekend. They won’t be wanting to take any attention away from that.

Then it’s the draft on Monday and Tuesday. Have to let that play out.

Fixtures back end of that week, probably Thursday which someone said seems to be the release day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seattle Mariners

Team Captain
Sep 14, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne
That’s AFLW final weekend. They won’t be wanting to take any attention away from that.

Then it’s the draft on Monday and Tuesday. Have to let that play out.

Fixtures back end of that week, probably Thursday which someone said seems to be the release day.
Yes, Thursday is the traditional day of releasing the fixture.

Seattle Mariners

Team Captain
Sep 14, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne
They had Carlton's footy boss on this morning (SEN) and he's of the understanding the fixture will be out at the end of the month.

My prediction:
Sunday 27 Nov - round 1 to be revealed on AFL.com.au
Thursday 1 December - full fixture due out

Magic round to be released between those 2 dates, maybe??

Expect some drip feeding from Wednesday IMO.

POSA98

Rookie
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
The Adelaide Crows surely to start away in 2023 after the previous 4 seasons at home. Any whispers who they may play?

The Adelaide Crows surely to start away in 2023 after the previous 4 seasons at home. Any whispers who they may play?
Pretty in the know poster on the Port board reckons Crows put down home at Round 1 as one of their top fixture requests each year, seems a bit silly but no reason not to believe him, and if true, would explain your big run of home starts. I'm sure Port are happy to give you home Round 1 every year if it means we get the ANZAC match we always request.

Why would we start away?

Using AFL logic (to justify Richmond-Carlton season opener after 3 or so seasons) - It's traditional.

POSA98

Rookie
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why would we start away?

Using AFL logic (to justify Richmond-Carlton season opener after 3 or so seasons) - It's traditional.
You would think after a run of 4 seasons in a row at home we’d be due to start away.
2014: Port Adelaide vs Adelaide (round 2)
2015: Adelaide vs North Melbourne
2016: Port Adelaide vs St Kilda
2017: Adelaide vs GWS Giants
2018: Port Adelaide vs Fremantle
2019: Adelaide vs Hawthorn
2020: Adelaide vs Sydney
2021: Adelaide vs Geelong
2022: Adelaide vs Fremantle

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Pretty in the know poster on the Port board reckons Crows put down home at Round 1 as one of their top fixture requests each year, seems a bit silly but no reason not to believe him, and if true, would explain your big run of home starts. I'm sure Port are happy to give you home Round 1 every year if it means we get the ANZAC match we always request.
Eagles have recently done the same I believe, we ask the AFL for a round 1 home game to even out the fact that Freo get a marquee ANZAC game. We've played the last three first round games in Perth and it likely will be the same next year too.

Seattle Mariners

Team Captain
Sep 14, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne
They had Carlton's footy boss on this morning (SEN) and he's of the understanding the fixture will be out at the end of the month.

My prediction:
Sunday 27 Nov - round 1 to be revealed on AFL.com.au
Thursday 1 December - full fixture due out

Magic round to be released between those 2 dates, maybe??

Expect some drip feeding from Wednesday IMO.
Given we’ve had no leaks or rumours from the media so far this week, I would say the fixture will be pushed out to Thu 8 December with round 1 announced on the weekend of 3-4 December.

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
Next week surely? My bet is Monday we will get the details of the "magic round" fixture, Tuesday we will get Round 1 leaked then Thurs or Friday the whole entire 2023 fixture to be released?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back