Fixture 2023 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Wheres the logic in having West Coast/Crows play on a Saturday night over us?
Winning that last game is critical for us and given we play the last Sunday game in Perth the previous round we would be happy getting a 7 day break given we are playing against Richmond who are also likely to be fighting for a finals spot.

Would prefer a late Sunday game but any Sunday game is better than Saturday for getting our team up.

The real qn is why aren't we getting the last Sunday game rather than the first.

10f4a200ca827507addf9ce4bf5501ba.jpg

What an absolute disgrace this pissant biased league is

12pm feels like mid morning on a Sunday.
Weird time for an AFL game.

I suspect they've taken a leaf out of the NFL playbook here. Games in the central timezone of the USA have games on Sunday which typically start at noon, before rolling into a 3pm arvo timeslot and then a 720pm primetime slot (1pm, 4pm and 820pm for the East Coast).

Absolutely no idea how an early timeslot of midday will work here though. In the USA you've got the tailgate traditions where fans eat and drink themselves silly for 5 hours before the game starts anyway. But we don't exactly have that here.

Who came up with a 12pm timeslot? Someone at AFL House needs a concussion test.
With Thursday night games many rounds Sunday noon or twilight are pointless. Just make every round:

Thursday night
2 x Friday night (one FTA, one pay TV)
2 x Saturday afternoon
2 x Saturday night
2 x Sunday afternoon

The league treats port with complete and utter contempt at every juncture and decision point
I agree but always struggle to understand why?
I believe we are looked upon as a poor man’s Adelaide Crows similar to Fremantle are with West Coast.
Only way it might change is multiple premierships.

I’ve never heard of a game start at midday before. You know what it would be? It would be so Richmond can get on a plane home and prepare for mad Monday in time. * the vfl
FFS. Stop whining. ;)

More than likely the AFL considered having us play at 8:30 on Sunday morning - but Alex Rance reminded them of the need for the Port heathens to have some church time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect they've taken a leaf out of the NFL playbook here. Games in the central timezone of the USA have games on Sunday which typically start at noon, before rolling into a 3pm arvo timeslot and then a 720pm primetime slot (1pm, 4pm and 820pm for the East Coast).

Absolutely no idea how an early timeslot of midday will work here though. In the USA you've got the tailgate traditions where fans eat and drink themselves silly for 5 hours before the game starts anyway. But we don't exactly have that here.
Yeah, I think they've just done this so there is limited to no overlap with other games and gives the broadcaster a bit of time to talk rubbish between games.

I'd rather be playing at noon than at 6 PM on a Sunday, but noon feels way too early in the day.

The dreaded early Sunday slot? When did we last get a Sunday 2:50pm slot at home? Seems to be a vic-exclusive slot for some reason
We are the away team once a year at the MCG it seems, and I reckon we have been the away team a couple of times in Alice Springs playing Melbourne, but I reckon the last home game in the 2.50pm time slot was the Phil Walsh showdown in 2015.

I don't usually get to games very early, but I remember getting to the Game Day Village ( remember how good that was?) about 1pm which was only a bit after the 12.40 time slot games that I loath, and getting on the gas for well over an hour before the game started.

If there has been a game before 2015 I don't remember it, as 4.10pm or later seems to be our usual Sunday time slot ,with one 12.40pm game each year and we occasionally get a second game in that time slot.

A 12 noon time slot is rubbish, but its done for the Melbourne TV market, start at 12.30 EST, have 3 games with no clash / overlap and finish the day at 9pm EST on Sunday, don't want the kiddies staying up to late to watch Carlton on a Sunday - even if its not on 7 in Melbourne and broadcast on Fox Footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back