Fixture 2023 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking ahead through to June, we should beat Hawks (Marvel), GWS (ACT), Adelaide (Mars) and Gold Coast (TIO), with 50/50s against Port (Adelaide), Freo (Perth) and Carlton (Marvel).

Worst case scenario we should still be 6-5, best case 9-2. We started the season poorly but our last two scrappy wins have been crucial. Losing to Melbourne and St Kilda doesn’t look too bad, despite us playing awfully.

Plenty of sides have had far easier draws so far (North, Essendon, Adelaide etc) and will come back into the pack.

Looking ahead through to June, we should beat Hawks (Marvel), GWS (ACT), Adelaide (Mars) and Gold Coast (TIO), with 50/50s against Port (Adelaide), Freo (Perth) and Carlton (Marvel).

Worst case scenario we should still be 6-5, best case 9-2. We started the season poorly but our last two scrappy wins have been crucial. Losing to Melbourne and St Kilda doesn’t look too bad, despite us playing awfully.

Plenty of sides have had far easier draws so far (North, Essendon, Adelaide etc) and will come back into the pack.
Well we beat Hawks, GWS, Freo and Carlton, lost in the last five minutes to Port, and our biggest test will be Adelaide, so going along nicely, and under the radar.

All but confirmed our round 17 home game v. the Pies will be Friday Night.

I said from the start that this would happen after we copped an extra away game for gather round, I think we will get given at least an extra one on top to partially make up for it. Carlton seem to get looked after no matter what though, so hard to tell

I said from the start that this would happen after we copped an extra away game for gather round, I think we will get given at least an extra one on top to partially make up for it. Carlton seem to get looked after no matter what though, so hard to tell
If the Tigers stay in the hunt our round 21 home game v. the Tigers will also get serious Friday Night consideration, the rest of the slate that round looks mediocre at best.

From the leaks so far it looks like

Freo @ Marvel on a Saturday arvo 1.45pm
Pies @ Marvel on a Friday night
Swans @ SCG on a Thursday night
Bombers @ Marvel on a Friday night (AWAY)
Giants @ Mars on a Saturday arvo
Tigers @ Marvel on a Friday night
Hawks @ Tassie early Sunday
Eagles @ Marvel early Sunday

Last edited:
Would be happy if we got four prime time slots to close out the season. I don't mind Friday night games, as it opens up the rest of the weekend.

Need more Sat afternoon games. Can make a whole day out of it in the city. So to get both would be a plus. Hopefully the leaks are correct.

Would be happy if we got four prime time slots to close out the season. I don't mind Friday night games, as it opens up the rest of the weekend.

Need more Sat afternoon games. Can make a whole day out of it in the city. So to get both would be a plus. Hopefully the leaks are correct.
Couldn't have hoped for any better I think. No Sunday graveyard slot or that awkward 4.35 Saturday.

Our game v. the Cats in round 24 will either be a Friday or Saturday night as well you would think.

Fixture been updated on the age.

R16 - Sat 1.45 @ Marvel (Freo)
R17 - Fri 7.50 @ Marvel (Pies)
R18 - Thurs 7.20 @ SCG (Sydney)
R19 - Fri 7.50 @ Marvel (Dons home game)
R20 - Sat 2.10 @ Mars (GWS)
R21 - Friday 7.50 @ Marvel (Tigers)
R22 - Sunday 1.10 @ UTAS (Hawks)
R23 - Sunday 1.10 @ Marvel (Eagles)

3 Fridays and a Thursday within 5 week period not bad at all.

With what looks to be a pretty nice Draw in the back end of the season, I really hope we've secured Top 4 before heading to the Kardinia Park s**t hole for the last round
Flip side is having a competitive hit out pre-finals is good considering we'll have the Hawks and Eagles in the two weeks prior. Plus we have to win down there eventually.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a very good commercial fixture for us. We've always been shafted and made to play against the 'bigger' clubs as the away team. Getting the Pies in round 17 and Tigers in round 21 at Marvel as the home team will draw some very big crowds. That Pies game could be close to 45,000+ and the Tigers game 40,000+.

I didn't realize the game vs Collingwood was at the MCG. AFL change it? Or did I overlook it on the fixture?

Flip side is having a competitive hit out pre-finals is good considering we'll have the Hawks and Eagles in the two weeks prior. Plus we have to win down there eventually.
Yeah it will be a good hitout assuming we're in the finals race. Playing Hawks & WCE followed by the bye would be a less than ideal finals preparation.

Haven't played the Bombers on a Friday night since 2010! (2020 doesn't count).

That's a very good commercial fixture for us. We've always been shafted and made to play against the 'bigger' clubs as the away team. Getting the Pies in round 17 and Tigers in round 21 at Marvel as the home team will draw some very big crowds. That Pies game could be close to 45,000+ and the Tigers game 40,000+.
Depends on how the tigers season is by then but they don't go to Marvel usually. Especially if its an away game. If they are in or contention of the eight tho it should be a good turn out. Pies will be massive. Especially if we both happen to be in the top 4 come round 17.

From other clubs, 2nd last round is interesting for Collingwood v Brisbane. Possibility it could be a top of the ladder clash and draw more than Marvel’s capacity even if it’s against an interstate club.

But I wonder if it’s more about keeping the Lions off the MCG, rather than maximising crowd numbers

The AFL page posted a "must watch games" post, and it is listed as being at the MCG, hence the confusion.

Ah ok, journo probably typically trying to be first instead of correct then lol

From other clubs, 2nd last round is interesting for Collingwood v Brisbane. Possibility it could be a top of the ladder clash and draw more than Marvel’s capacity even if it’s against an interstate club.

But I wonder if it’s more about keeping the Lions off the MCG, rather than maximising crowd numbers

Pies have to play at least one home match at marvel as do Tigers if I recall correctly.

Depends on how the tigers season is by then but they don't go to Marvel usually. Especially if its an away game. If they are in or contention of the eight tho it should be a good turn out. Pies will be massive. Especially if we both happen to be in the top 4 come round 17.
I know we got 45k plus when we played them early in 2017 at Marvel.

Couldn't have hoped for any better I think. No Sunday graveyard slot or that awkward 4.35 Saturday.

Our game v. the Cats in round 24 will either be a Friday or Saturday night as well you would think.
Hopefully the Saturday night for 2 reasons.

We play on Sunday in Round 23 and it is horrible going to Geelong on a Friday night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back