Fixture 2023 fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Graffiti on the wall, just as the sun was going down
I see graffiti on the wall - up the Celts! up the Celts!
Graffiti on the wall says we're magic, we're magic
Graffiti on the wall.............................

Its probably worth looking back at our draw now we have a bit of an idea of what each team's performance level is (top 4 contender, top 8 contender, bottom 10, botttom 4 etc).

Double up match ups sorted by this criteria:

Top 4: Melbourne, Collingwood
Top 8: St Kilda, Adelaide
Bottom 10: Freo, Gold Coast
Bottom 4: none

St Kilda and Adelaide look better than expected, Freo worse, and gold coast about the same as I expected. But with us not having any double ups against a likely bottom 4 team (norf, Hawks, eagles), we are going to have a harder time than some of our opponents to get top 4 and top 2. Pies don't have a double up against any of them, but the Dees have north twice, and St Kilda has a pretty easy draw as you'd expect for a team that didn't play finals last year.

Really going to need 17-18 wins to have a shot at top 2 with the extra round. 18 definitely if we don't make up a bit of a percentage gap comparative to the Dees, Cats and Saints. We've got 8 more games at the Gabba and need to bank those and win 3-4 more games on the road from this point on.

Its probably worth looking back at our draw now we have a bit of an idea of what each team's performance level is (top 4 contender, top 8 contender, bottom 10, botttom 4 etc).

Double up match ups sorted by this criteria:

Top 4: Melbourne, Collingwood
Top 8: St Kilda, Adelaide
Bottom 10: Freo, Gold Coast
Bottom 4: none

St Kilda and Adelaide look better than expected, Freo worse, and gold coast about the same as I expected. But with us not having any double ups against a likely bottom 4 team (norf, Hawks, eagles), we are going to have a harder time than some of our opponents to get top 4 and top 2. Pies don't have a double up against any of them, but the Dees have north twice, and St Kilda has a pretty easy draw as you'd expect for a team that didn't play finals last year.

Really going to need 17-18 wins to have a shot at top 2 with the extra round. 18 definitely if we don't make up a bit of a percentage gap comparative to the Dees, Cats and Saints. We've got 8 more games at the Gabba and need to bank those and win 3-4 more games on the road from this point on.
I thought our draw looked a lot better at the start of the year than it does now.

The bottom 3 ,particularly WC ,are so far off the pace that a double up against any of them is a huge bonus.

Still I've never been a believer in worrying too much about the draw. You can get some surprising results at times. If we're good enough we'll get there.

8 games in and we've only played 3 of the bottom 10 teams, having played 5 teams likely to finish top 8
The most positive part of that is that we still have 7 of the bottom 10 teams to play.
Plus 2 double ups against them teams.

To come >

Bombers (H)
Suns (H)
Crows (AO)
Bye
Hawks (MCG)
Swans (H)
Saints (Marvel)
Tigers (H)
Eagles (H)
Demons (MCG)
Cats (H)
Suns (Metricon)
Dockers (Optus)
Crows (H)
Magpies (Marvel)
Saints (H)

Crows away
I don't see it, I've been fairly underwhelmed by them as I feel like they've been beating up on teams on their off day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see it, I've been fairly underwhelmed by them as I feel like they've been beating up on teams on their off day.
I think we have been very underwhelming with our wining margins this year though ;)

Therefore, Lions 60+ against Adelaide :padlock:

#makeithappen

I'm a bit worried about that game myself. Mainly because the Crows are a bit of an unknown quantity I think. They have some very good quick players. They butcher the ball a bit but if they get a run-on they'll be tricky. And Keays and Hinge will be keen to show off.

I'm a bit worried about that game myself. Mainly because the Crows are a bit of an unknown quantity I think. They have some very good quick players. They butcher the ball a bit but if they get a run-on they'll be tricky. And Keays and Hinge will be keen to show off.
Hinge has been good for the Crows, would have been a handy replacement for Richy... we have that part of the ground covered now though.

To come >

Bombers (H)
Suns (H)
Crows (AO)
Bye
Hawks (MCG)
Swans (H)
Saints (Marvel)
Tigers (H)
Eagles (H)
Demons (MCG)
Cats (H)

Suns (Metricon)
Dockers (Optus)
Crows (H)
Magpies (Marvel)
Saints (H)

They butcher the ball a bit
We do tend to destroy those teams even on our off days... over the last few years you need to be a quality ball using team to stop Fagan's system.

6 games for me are dangerous with three of those very dangerous. 17 wins and 6 losses should see us top 4.
Pies playing away is not a danger game ... it is a big psychological gap to get from MCG to Docklands!

Btw to the Pies fans know where Docklands is better than the Tiger mob?

Pies playing away is not a danger game ... it is a big psychological gap to get from MCG to Docklands!

Btw to the Pies fans know where Docklands is better than the Tiger mob?
It would be a shame to play this Rd 23 game at docklands. It would certainly draw a larger crowd that the two other proposed games at the MCG that weekend (Tigers v North and Demons v Hawks). If the AFL had some sense they would play this game at the MCG, with both teams likely in the top 4, it has the possibility of drawing a 70,000+ crowd.

As per the Age

Ric - G - Thu 29/6 - 7.20
WCE - G - Sat 8/7 - 1.45
Mel - MCG - Fri 14/7 - 7.50
Gee - G - Sat 22/7 - 4.35
GCS - HBS - Sat 29/7 - 4.35
Fre - OS - Sun 6/8 - 2.40 (dare say that's Perth time, so 4.40)
Ade - G - Sat 12/8 - 4.35
Col - Mrv - Fri 18/8 - 7.50
Stk - G - TBD

As per the Age

Ric - G - Thu 29/6 - 7.20
WCE - G - Sat 8/7 - 1.45
Mel - MCG - Fri 14/7 - 7.50
Gee - G - Sat 22/7 - 4.35
GCS - HBS - Sat 29/7 - 4.35
Fre - OS - Sun 6/8 - 2.40 (dare say that's Perth time, so 4.40)
Ade - G - Sat 12/8 - 4.35
Col - Mrv - Fri 18/8 - 7.50
Stk - G - TBD

One MCG game stinks. Top four interstate teams should get more games at the MCG. Hell, top eight should.

Knowing a ground does give one team an advantage so all interstate teams in finals at the MCG are disadvantaged.

The wind patterns, difference in surface, sun etc. all impact. And yes, the ground size and shape. So critical when every ground is different.

The AFL suck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back