Fixture 2023 fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick facts​

Mount Barker is a city in South Australia. Located approximately 33 kilometres from the Adelaide city centre, it is home to 16,629 residents. It is the seat of the District Council of Mount Barker, the largest town in the Adelaide Hills, as well as one of the fastest-growing areas in the state

Mount Barker Football Club home of the Roos
100px-Mount_Barker_Roos_FC_logo.jpg

....................​

Below from Austadiums

Mt-Barker-Regional-Sports-Hub_940x529px.jpeg

The Summit Sport and Recreation Park is a $23m multi-sport facility located in the regional South Australian town of Mount Barker in the Adelaide Hills region. Officially opened in April 2021, stage 1 of the Mt Barker Regional Sports Hub features a premier Australian Rules/cricket oval and two premier synthetic soccer pitches.

The oval features a pavilion with undercover grandstand seating for 270 spectators, function room, lights and an estimated total capacity of 5000 with a grass hill surrounding the arena.

The main football pitch has a similar grandstand with undercover seating, 350 lux lighting and an estimated capacity of 2000.

Planning for the new facility dates back to 2008 when the Mount Barker District Council purchased 36 hectares of land fronting Springs and Bald Hills Roads. The Summit Sport and Recreation Park occupies around half of this land, with the balance earmarked for future recreational use, including an additional oval, a further two rectangular pitches and tennis courts.

How the AFL considers itself a professional organisation with this sort of crap is laughable.

Name me one other professional sports league in the world nowadays that sends its professional clubs and players to venues and towns in the middle of nowhere that arean't all seater venues?

Its truly laughable and even more ridiculous when you really think about it. Why NSW or even QLD wasn't chosen for this dumb concept is beyond me, at least in NSW you have 3 proper venues (SCG, Homebush and Giants Stadium) or Carrarra and Gabba and even or up in FNQ, which probably has the same issue as Mt Barker which id never heard of until 5 mins ago, but no lets, go to a grround with paddocks and car park around it a seating in a grandtsand of 270 geezus christ- makes sense - ignore the disgust and contempt i have for this.

We've really hit the jackpot this time folks.

Our magic round game will apparently be in Mount Barker, wherever the heck that is.

Against North Melbourne. So another great opportunity for our Melbourne supporters to... Not see our club.

Would have rather played in Hobart... 🤦

Wonder what the over/under is on car seats mounted to the roof for game viewing. Never fear I'm sure Sportsbet will have a market on it

Agreed with most comments about mount barker. It’s a huge stretch for SA to host an entire round of any major sport even its most popular. Adelaide needs a smaller stadium for events like this otherwise ignore SA (and I live in Adelaide)

Mount Barker for an AFL match is the biggest joke I’ve ever heard maybe ever in the footy world … maybe start with a few practice matches pre season and build up the venue? It just doesn’t appear to be feasible or in anyone’s interests. This will be the one and only time this event is held ever (especially in SA)

Last edited:
Four suggestions for you if you are planning to go to the Mt Barker game:
  • Monarto Safari Park
  • Hahndorf
  • Cleland Wildlife Park
  • Mount Lofty Botanical Garden (wonderful in Autumn)
Can confirm monarto safari park is world class. One of the largest safari ‘zoo’ parks outside of Africa. Probably be more exciting than a suns v Freo match in the paddocks

Quick facts
Mount Barker is a city in South Australia. Located approximately 33 kilometres from the Adelaide city centre, it is home to 16,629 residents. It is the seat of the District Council of Mount Barker, the largest town in the Adelaide Hills, as well as one of the fastest-growing areas in the state

Mount Barker Football Club home of the Roos
100px-Mount_Barker_Roos_FC_logo.jpg

....................​

Below from Austadiums

Mt-Barker-Regional-Sports-Hub_940x529px.jpeg

The Summit Sport and Recreation Park is a $23m multi-sport facility located in the regional South Australian town of Mount Barker in the Adelaide Hills region. Officially opened in April 2021, stage 1 of the Mt Barker Regional Sports Hub features a premier Australian Rules/cricket oval and two premier synthetic soccer pitches.

The oval features a pavilion with undercover grandstand seating for 270 spectators, function room, lights and an estimated total capacity of 5000 with a grass hill surrounding the arena.

The main football pitch has a similar grandstand with undercover seating, 350 lux lighting and an estimated capacity of 2000.

Planning for the new facility dates back to 2008 when the Mount Barker District Council purchased 36 hectares of land fronting Springs and Bald Hills Roads. The Summit Sport and Recreation Park occupies around half of this land, with the balance earmarked for future recreational use, including an additional oval, a further two rectangular pitches and tennis courts.
I've actually been through there.

I can't say much else except WTF.
Pretty much sums it up also. Gives backwaters a bad name. I don’t see the point of the AFL hosting a game in a genuine regional backwater. the regional facilities just aren’t there for major events

I'm trying to work out where wtf $23 million has been spent.
Exactly.

From above I reckon I coulda contracted that out for 4 or 5.

Looks like we'll get changed in the bus on the way down and throw images of the cheer squads in via Zoom.

What sort of support is the AFL expecting for the Lions and North in a crap part of the Adelaide Hills ?

I'm really not believing this has happened . Pretty much sick of the shoddy way Lions supporters all over the country , particularly in Melbourne ,get shafted every year.

The last two AFL games at Alice Springs did not set the world on fire attendance wise.
So, if they get around the 5,000 mark to this game at Mt Barker the AFL will be happy i guess

The issue maybe with the players facilities.
I suppose the players are getting a bonus for the game so will have to put up with what is on offer

TIO Traeger Park Crowds​

RECENT ATTENDANCES​

How the AFL considers itself a professional organisation with this sort of crap is laughable.

Name me one other professional sports league in the world nowadays that sends its professional clubs and players to venues and towns in the middle of nowhere that arean't all seater venues?

Its truly laughable and even more ridiculous when you really think about it. Why NSW or even QLD wasn't chosen for this dumb concept is beyond me, at least in NSW you have 3 proper venues (SCG, Homebush and Giants Stadium) or Carrarra and Gabba and even or up in FNQ, which probably has the same issue as Mt Barker which id never heard of until 5 mins ago, but no lets, go to a grround with paddocks and car park around it a seating in a grandtsand of 270 geezus christ- makes sense - ignore the disgust and contempt i have for this.
If Mount Barker is up to scratch you could add BISP, Henson Park, Drummoyne Oval, North Sydney Oval and more to Sydney, off the top of my head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Four suggestions for you if you are planning to go to the Mt Barker game:
  • Monarto Safari Park
  • Hahndorf
  • Cleland Wildlife Park
  • Mount Lofty Botanical Garden (wonderful in Autumn)
I'd definitely recommend the local breweries too. That didn't bias me towards staying the region at all when we were down...

Well if we can play an AFL match at Mt Barker they don't really have any grounds to stop us playing games at Springfield during the redevelopment phase ... hey maybe we asked to play in the smallest most useless venue just so we could ensure our place was acceptable on precendent! ;)

Well if we can play an AFL match at Mt Barker they don't really have any grounds to stop us playing games at Springfield during the redevelopment phase ... hey maybe we asked to play in the smallest most useless venue just so we could ensure our place was acceptable on precendent! ;)
But only against North Melbourne...

The issue maybe with the players facilities.
I suppose the players are getting a bonus for the game so will have to put up with what is on offer

Yeah, the precious or is that precocious little things, so used to luxury they just have to put up with the converted container sheds for one game.

Some friends who live all around the country and support various teams are planning to have a weekend in SA for magic round so I'll go to the Mount Barker game! Sounds like a fun novelty to me, I used to love watching rugby or cricket from grass hills as a kid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back