Fixture 2023 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean we get 15, it's not exactly fixture breaking.
I wouldn't be so inclined to complain if it weren't the case every single year. Yes, they're a big, money-making club, but fixture inequity is one of the bigger issues with the AFL, and despite their constant rule changes as they go along, it's not something they've taken meaningful steps to address.

I wouldn't be so inclined to complain if it weren't the case every single year. Yes, they're a big, money-making club, but fixture inequity is one of the bigger issues with the AFL, and despite their constant rule changes as they go along, it's not something they've taken meaningful steps to address.
We sold a game NT. If we hadn't it would be 16 to us 17 to them. It's completely our fault and not worth a sook at all. In fact if North don't sell their game with us to Tasmania it would be 17 each in Victoria. Again, not even close to worth a sook

fixture inequalities are so overblown. Has anyone ever won a flag off the back of a soft draw? Nup.

Fans do need something to complain about so there's that.

My only issue is that for the last 1/3 of the season feels like a "floating" fixture. Tough to plan for the fan, both in person and on TV.

We sold a game NT. If we hadn't it would be 16 to us 17 to them. It's completely our fault and not worth a sook at all. In fact if North don't sell their game with us to Tasmania it would be 17 each in Victoria. Again, not even close to worth a sook
Not complaining about us per se, it's fair enough with us selling a game off. It's more that Collingwood has the least travel of any club nearly every single year.

Realistically the only way to achieve fixture fairness is one of 3 options.

17-5
17 game season
34 game season
The league won't ever agree to less games, but I'd do 17, with the home and away teams alternating each year to make it as fair as possible.

Then on top of that, do the magic/gather/whatever the **** round to make it an even 18, but to add to the gimmick, I'd draw the teams at random (televised). Could even do it the week of the game to add to the fun.

The league won't ever agree to less games, but I'd do 17, with the home and away teams alternating each year to make it as fair as possible.

Then on top of that, do the magic/gather/whatever the **** round to make it an even 18, but to add to the gimmick, I'd draw the teams at random (televised). Could even do it the week of the game to add to the fun.
That just makes the fixture unfair again for no reason at all.

If you wanna do 17, the AFL would absolutely add more finals so that they could make up some of the money and then you'd have to bring back the pre season cup as well as state of origin or some type of rep footy to make up for the games lost.

Anyone have the email about codes for Gather Round? Got my accom and flights sorted for the weekend but no codes to get tickets.

Just spoken to the club and codes will be emailed out shortly.

Last edited:
Anyone have the email about codes for Gather Round? Got my accom and flights sorted for the weekend but no codes to get tickets.

Just spoken to the club and codes will be emailed out shortly.
Mine came through about 20 minutes ago

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully once Geelong have finished the stadium upgrade they get more victorian sides down there. Will reduce our overrepresentation.
Probably doesn't make a difference, Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton, hawthorn won't start getting games down there, just means more Geelong supporters will be able to get in the stadium.

Probably doesn't make a difference, Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton, hawthorn won't start getting games down there, just means more Geelong supporters will be able to get in the stadium.
Probably not with Collingwood but if they start getting <50k to their home games in Melbourne I could see it.

As others have said, every other Vic club would be requesting a home game against the Pies.

What's the AFL to do? Piss off Collingwood, all the other Vic clubs and lose money in the process? Wouldn't have thought that's in anyone's best interest

Fans do need something to complain about so there's that.

My only issue is that for the last 1/3 of the season feels like a "floating" fixture. Tough to plan for the fan, both in person and on TV.
Floating fixture is great.

Yes, for a small percentage of fans that want to travel interstate to games it can be inconvenient, but that is far outweighed by the fact that a floating fixture allows for more blockbuster/interesting games to be played in primetime slots.

Remember when Carlton were gifted a s**t ton of free-to-air games then proceeded to stink up the place? Boring games on Thur/Fri/Sat night just suck. The floating fixture prevents that happening.

I'd prefer even more flexibility

Yes, for a small percentage of fans that want to travel interstate to games it can be inconvenient, but that is far outweighed by the fact that a floating fixture allows for more blockbuster/interesting games to be played in primetime slots.

Remember when Carlton were gifted a s**t ton of free-to-air games then proceeded to stink up the place? Boring games on Thur/Fri/Sat night just suck. The floating fixture prevents that happening.

I think it was 2015 they had about 8 that I counted on Thursday/Friday night this one being the best 👌
Screenshot_20221213-173940_Chrome.jpg
Just noticed the crowd of 26k is really low for those two teams, Carlton were so bad their supporters weren't showing up, and probably left half way in that game, that's a neeld esq performance.

Its also not that difficult to buy plane tickets with 3-4 weeks notice minimum. Yeah airlines jack up the prices, but they've always known when games would be so have always been able to do so.

2023 Champion Data fixture difficulty rating 1. Sydney 2. Western Bulldogs 3. Collingwood 4. Port Adelaide 5. GWS Giants 6. Brisbane Lions 7. Fremantle 8. Geelong 9. West Coast 10. North Melbourne 11. Richmond 12. Hawthorn 13. St Kilda 14. Adelaide 15. Melbourne 16. Gold Coast 17. Carlton 18. Essendon 1 = hardest fixture, 18 = easiest fixture

2023 Champion Data fixture difficulty rating 1. Sydney 2. Western Bulldogs 3. Collingwood 4. Port Adelaide 5. GWS Giants 6. Brisbane Lions 7. Fremantle 8. Geelong 9. West Coast 10. North Melbourne 11. Richmond 12. Hawthorn 13. St Kilda 14. Adelaide 15. Melbourne 16. Gold Coast 17. Carlton 18. Essendon 1 = hardest fixture, 18 = easiest fixture

Not aimed at you but these fixture ratings are so dumb. They assume the ladder will be the exact same in 2023 when they rate it which clearly won’t be the case. In 2018 our fixture looked super difficult to start the year then ended up being extremely generous because Adelaide fell away hard.

Not aimed at you but these fixture ratings are so dumb. They assume the ladder will be the exact same in 2023 when they rate it which clearly won’t be the case. In 2018 our fixture looked super difficult to start the year then ended up being extremely generous because Adelaide fell away hard.
Don't disagreee at all - but I must admit, at first glance, I'm not too unhappy about our fixture

Apparently we are playing you in a pre-season game at Moorabbin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back