No Oppo Supporters 2023 General AFLW Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Compo is for next season, a normal draft. That's a big part of why they've done this, as an alternative to clubs being forced to accept worthless over-age draft picks as trades for players they lose this year. For a situation like Molloy's it's as much to help the Pies get something back that we can't give them (our pick in the upcoming draft is essentially pick 8 in the 2022 draft), as well as to help us actually get her in.
Shame it was not this year's but all up, still a good deal for us. We need hardened, experience gun top liners to help move up the ladder and attract additional talent. Hoping Molloy will be one of 3 or 4 noteworthy additions.

I see a thread for this for 2022 but not for this season. So I figure it's time to start one.

The thing that got me looking for the thread in the first place is that the Draft is nearly upon us: it's on Wednesday (4 April)! We have traded away our #1 pick (to Geelong for Gardiner) and it's looking like we may not pick anyone. According to one poster our list spots are full and we would need to delist a player or move them to the inactive list to make a space if we do want to draft anyone.

Here's a guide to next week's draft: Everything you need to know about the S8 AFLW Supplementary Draft.

This article - Geelong claim opening pick of AFLW Draft, ball-magnet Sydney bound - helped me crystallise a couple of things I hadn't considered when previously evaluating the trading out of pick 1. For us, even if the player that gets picked at pick 1 is better than Gardiner, it's beside the point if they weren't prepared to come to NSW (because we wouldn't have had access to them). For Geelong, the beauty of pick 1 is not so much that it's pick 1 but that it is (necessarily, of course since it's the number 1 pick) the first pick in Victoria and allows them now to pick before Hawthorn.

I see a thread for this for 2022 but not for this season. So I figure it's time to start one.

The thing that got me looking for the thread in the first place is that the Draft is nearly upon us: it's on Wednesday (4 April)! We have traded away our #1 pick (to Geelong for Gardiner) and it's looking like we may not pick anyone. According to one poster our list spots are full and we would need to delist a player or move them to the inactive list to make a space if we do want to draft anyone.

Here's a guide to next week's draft: Everything you need to know about the S8 AFLW Supplementary Draft.

This article - Geelong claim opening pick of AFLW Draft, ball-magnet Sydney bound - helped me crystallise a couple of things I hadn't considered when previously evaluating the trading out of pick 1. For us, even if the player that gets picked at pick 1 is better than Gardiner, it's beside the point if they weren't prepared to come to NSW (because we wouldn't have had access to them). For Geelong, the beauty of pick 1 is not so much that it's pick 1 but that it is (necessarily, of course since it's the number 1 pick) the first pick in Victoria and allows them now to pick before Hawthorn.
I've renamed the 2022 thread to 2023 as there were not that many postings.
So thanks for the reminder to change thread title.

Good to have COR back in any capacity.

Good to have COR back in any capacity.

To be sure, to be sure

🍀

So we finally have the draw for the new season - thanks AFL for being so prompt - NOT!

First two games are at North Sydney Oval - now all I have to do is pray the trains are running that weekend.

Here's a quick snapshot with the full schedule in the link above.

1689580040052.png

So we finally have the draw for the new season - thanks AFL for being so prompt - NOT!

First two games are at North Sydney Oval - now all I have to do is pray the trains are running that weekend.

Here's a quick snapshot with the full schedule in the link above.

View attachment 1741466
At least the wife's birthday coincides with an away game!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL refuses to schedule any additional women's games but hey all! Let's have a wildcard men's game no one has asked for.

I'd be spewing if I was an AFLW player.

yeah thought it was interesting but I do sort of get it to a degree. Stabilise the comp first get more high quality games then expand the season. I thought they may have gone to 12 games though.

We've got pretty much the most favourably weighted fixture, on average our 10 opponents would be expected to win about 0.7 games less on average (based on last year's results), than if we played all 17 teams.

AFLW finals prize money $1.1 million will the same as AFL(M) but spread over 8 teams compared with AFL(M) 4 teams => less prize money/player.
It's an improvement.

New Rules
  • Teams will have to work with an interchange cap for the first time, limited to 60
  • Boundary umpires will now take inside-50 throw-ins back on the boundary line, but throw-ins between the arcs will remain 10m into the field.
  • Quarters will also be around two minutes longer.

From the Punjab to Punt Rd: Rajbir’s journey to the ‘G​

Six years ago, Rajbir had never heard of AFL. Now she's commentating on radio, appearing on panel shows and helping to rebuild the AFL Live Official App

Tomorrow's early match should be a cracker. Geelong have been good but they'll be underdogs against North. Will be followed nicely by watching the Demons destroy Carlton. Should be a good evening of footy. :)

Why is there such a slow timetable to build the number of games per AFLW season?

And why is it tied to metrics related to crowds and broadcast audiences? Could it be about $$? i.e. a longer season warrants a bigger salary but this requires better crowds and braodcast audiences to justify it? If so, my vibe is the players would love to play more games even without a salary increase. There salaries have been increased a lot and will continue to increase anyway, so I wonder if they won't be satisfied with these pay increases for the time being even if they are asked to play more games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back