2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
still playing midfield and looks good. i've watched him 80% of the season as i own him in fantasy

If Richmond are paying most of it, he'll be a clear upgrade on Rosas/Oea/Berry types, he'll get the best medium defender (starcevich types) will benefit the rest of our forward line.

7:22 ^ still got it.

I remember we were linked with Isaac Smith and he went to geelong won a flag and norm and still playing great footy at age 34, dusty missed 10 games before 2021, has only missed 1 game this season because of rest. Would be top 5 in their b&f

Only keen if we pay max $500k of his $1.2mil wage but, i reckon we get 2-3 years out of him in the forward line.

I was at that game and he was basically non existent until the last 10 mins

They call Read ‘the unicorn’ in their assessment.
If you've seen him play then you know why. I've never seen a 200cm+ ruck that's as clean below the knee and able to hit targets as accurately over the short-medium distance. He also tackles hard and wins his own ball from the rucking contest. Serious talent!

If you've seen him play then you know why. I've never seen a 200cm+ ruck that's as clean below the knee and able to hit targets as accurately over the short-medium distance. He also tackles hard and wins his own ball from the rucking contest. Serious talent!

Going to have some seriously mobile and skilful talls with Mac Andrew, Ben King, Charlie Ballard, Mabior Chol, Jed Walter and Ethan Read. Joizus. Can't fit them all though...

You don't walk a probable delisted free agent to the PSD.

If the Suns/Dew have drawn a line through his name already, then he's not being offered a contract at the end of the season, and the team just let him walk.

Otherwise he nominates for the draft and Fremantle pick him up in the rookie draft, because no one else will before them.
Depends if we have enough points for our academy crop. If not we would be looking to pick up a late pick

Yeah I’ve only seen a bit but was very impressed with his kicking on the run. Looked natural.

Going to have some seriously mobile and skilful talls with Mac Andrew, Ben King, Charlie Ballard, Mabior Chol, Jed Walter and Ethan Read. Joizus. Can't fit them all though...
I wouldn't go as far as to say we can't fit them all in. At minimum you need two tall forwards, two tall defenders and one ruck so that's five tall positions and you've listed six guys above. Obviously you add Lukosius to that list of skillful talls but I really feel he's turning into more of a utility tall forward, as opposed to your stay at home forwards like King, so I wouldn't necessarily say one of those traditional five spine positions is dedicated to Luko. I might even go as far as to say Luko should be viewed more as a third tall forward who can also push into the midfield. There's probably a 99% chance that King plays his entire career as a key forward and I think it's very likely Walter becomes a like-for-like power forward replacement for Casboult where he predominantly plays forward but occasionally relieves in the ruck.

Then you've got Ballard who almost definitely remains a key defender for the rest of his career and it seems like we're going to persevere with Mac as a key defender who may very well be the long term replacement for 29 year old Collins. The hope would be that Mac can fill out the way Aliir Aliir did and develop into that kind of key defender who can lock down, intercept and use his dash/skill to push further up the ground to start offensive plays. Witts is 31 and will start winding down over the next few years so getting in an 18 year old Ethan Read comes at the perfect time to begin that transition. So long term I think our spine looks like this:

FB Ballard (23)
HB Andrew (19)
R Read (18)
HF King (22) - Lukosius (22)
FF Walter (18)

Unfortunately I think the guy ends up missing out here is Chol and perhaps we're already starting to see the beginnings of that. Now if you're saying we may not be able to afford all these talls in the one salary cap then that's a totally different discussion and I probably to tend agree but you also hope that we'll soon be playing finals on a regular basis and these guys would be more willing to take less to have a shot at premiership glory.

A possible spanner in the works is another academy tall we have coming through next year in Cairns native Caleb Nancarrow. He was named at CHF in the U16 All Australian team last year and could end up being one of the best talls in the '24 draft class. My understanding is that the long term view on Nanc is that he's viewed as more of a Paddy Ryder type talented ruckman who can do the freakish stuff on the field. Perhaps having Read and Nancarrow rotating through the ruck like Gawn and Grundy would be the way to go in that circumstance. Either way, we have plenty of skillful talls on the list/about to join the list but I do think we can make it work long term.

I wouldn't go as far as to say we can't fit them all in. At minimum you need two tall forwards, two tall defenders and one ruck so that's five tall positions and you've listed six guys above. Obviously you add Lukosius to that list of skillful talls but I really feel he's turning into more of a utility tall forward, as opposed to your stay at home forwards like King, so I wouldn't necessarily say one of those traditional five spine positions is dedicated to Luko. I might even go as far as to say Luko should be viewed more as a third tall forward who can also push into the midfield. There's probably a 99% chance that King plays his entire career as a key forward and I think it's very likely Walter becomes a like-for-like power forward replacement for Casboult where he predominantly plays forward but occasionally relieves in the ruck.

Then you've got Ballard who almost definitely remains a key defender for the rest of his career and it seems like we're going to persevere with Mac as a key defender who may very well be the long term replacement for 29 year old Collins. The hope would be that Mac can fill out the way Aliir Aliir did and develop into that kind of key defender who can lock down, intercept and use his dash/skill to push further up the ground to start offensive plays. Witts is 31 and will start winding down over the next few years so getting in an 18 year old Ethan Read comes at the perfect time to begin that transition. So long term I think our spine looks like this:

FB Ballard (23)
HB Andrew (19)
R Read (18)
HF King (22) - Lukosius (22)
FF Walter (18)

Unfortunately I think the guy ends up missing out here is Chol and perhaps we're already starting to see the beginnings of that. Now if you're saying we may not be able to afford all these talls in the one salary cap then that's a totally different discussion and I probably to tend agree but you also hope that we'll soon be playing finals on a regular basis and these guys would be more willing to take less to have a shot at premiership glory.

A possible spanner in the works is another academy tall we have coming through next year in Cairns native Caleb Nancarrow. He was named at CHF in the U16 All Australian team last year and could end up being one of the best talls in the '24 draft class. My understanding is that the long term view on Nanc is that he's viewed as more of a Paddy Ryder type talented ruckman who can do the freakish stuff on the field. Perhaps having Read and Nancarrow rotating through the ruck like Gawn and Grundy would be the way to go in that circumstance. Either way, we have plenty of skillful talls on the list/about to join the list but I do think we can make it work long term.

Not sure how I missed Luko which compounds the issue a bit but we will also have a short term problem with Collins still having 3-5 years left too. Read will certainly take 3-4 years to be best 22 though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how I missed Luko which compounds the issue a bit but we will also have a short term problem with Collins still having 3-5 years left too. Read will certainly take 3-4 years to be best 22 though.
I see it differently. I think having a 19 year old Mac Andrew who still requires 2-3 years of development lines up perfectly with an expected decline of 29 year old Collins in 2-3 years from now. We sort of did this with Ballard while he was being played in the backline as a 'loose tall' a few years back while Collins and Crab played on the key defenders.

Charlie spent several years building his body in the gym and gaining confidence/knowledge on how to play in the backline after being drafted as a hard running winger who happened to grow 16cm from the beginning of his draft year. Ballard was learning from scratch as he never played in the backline as a junior. The end result is one of the best intercepting tall defenders in the league who can seemingly also play one-on-one now as well and he's just 23 years old. We're only just starting to see the fruits of that labour for Chucky so it does take time.

Mac claims he played a bit of backline footy for his school but he really made a name for himself as a forward/ruck in his junior years. So he's just 1.5 years into a likely 3-4 year development cycle that's very similar to Ballard. Having a 29 year old Collins and an emerging 23 year old Ballard there to foster that development should really pay dividends for Mac in 2-3 years, just like it did for Ballard. The timing of a likely transitions seems right to me.

Ned Moyle is still on the cards too. More mobile then Witts
Moyle might end up being a stopgap between Witts and Read. I know we all love Wittsy but we've been absolutely smashing him with game time in recent years and I just don't know how long his 30 year old body can hold up. Moyle didn't seem ready for the AFL level in the games he played earlier this year but I tend to think having a three year age advantage on Read definitely increases Moyle's chances of being next in line when Witts does step aside. I could be way off though with guys like Gawn and Hickey still looking like two of the best ruckmen in the league and they're both a few years older than Witts, in which case Read may have enough time to jump ahead of Moyle. Regardless, depth is always a good problem to have.

Just seen Fyfe sign 2 more years, he’s been more cooked than dusty the last 3 years.

Happy to take dusty now seeing that. Of course with Richmond paying a fair chuck of that.

Agree that Read looks like he could make a good key defender but seems when not ruck plays forward in under-age. With the allies team having plenty of talls wonder if we will see him tried somewhere else in the championships.

Agree that Read looks like he could make a good key defender but seems when not ruck plays forward in under-age. With the allies team having plenty of talls wonder if we will see him tried somewhere else in the championships.
202cm rover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back