Analysis 2023 Grand Final wrap: Liked, Learnt, and Hated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked: Pies 2018 GF players getting a premiership.
Learnt: Much more fun celebrating a grand final win than riding the trade period roller-coaster.
Loathed: Ads during the grand final and post match celebrations. I'd pay per view for no ads.

Liked: The best two teams made it to the grand final and put in very strong performances. I didn’t want Collingwood to win but there’s a sense of genuine satisfaction with this season with a finish like that.

Learnt: This Brisbane side is the real deal. I knew Collingwood were up to it, but I was concerned we’d see a Swans 2022, Crows 2017 type performance from the Lions. Although there were plenty of times where I thought the Pies had broken them and were gonna pull away it never happened. If it’s not gonna be the Crows next year then I hope we see a 2005/2006 style revenge/redemption flag from the Lions.

Hated: Nothing, genuinely nothing, I really wanted Brisbane to win. However it was hard not to have a smile on your face seeing the Daicos’ and Moores embrace each other, and watching a champion like Pendlebury finally get his second after all that work he’s put in.

Liked: The Game just when you thought a run of 5 or 6 goals was on the cards it swung the other way.
Liked 2: Joe Danihers performance, thought had he played like Eric Hipwood he would've been slammed by all and sundry.
Learnt: thought Brisbane lacked abit of leg speed through the midfield.

Hated: Ch.7 coverage and commentary.
Hated 2: 8 years since a Hawthorn GF...Life really does sux for some of us.
Hated 3: No footy until 2024...love the game, the banter and a good game.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

liked collingwood giving much waited company to premeirship 16 club along with blues and bombers
learnt this is the start of the magpie dynasty
hated nothing probably having to work the next week and my hay fever

Liked: positive coaching. Fagans boys are the most skilled, ours are ridiculously happy. I appreciate your Scotts determined teams and Clarkos hardarse achievements but this footy was high standard and pretty.

Learnt: Pies fitness really is the difference. I knew our new bloke was a gun but 9 goals in time on? Winning an arm wrestle when we were a man down for 3 quarters?

Hated: not umps but the state of umpiring. Daics high free early set a low bar, and players went fishing with their heads (I think Gardiner chased Cox head down through a pack to headbutt his hip, duly paid). I blame McLachlan. Worst CEO ever.

Liked: Collingwood deserved it, Bobby Hill, Brisbane were terrific, KISS were great

Hated: Half time love songs that put me to sleep. Got to have high energy performances before and after. if I want to die of boredom I I will go to Adelaide.

Learnt: It should be full of real supporters to make the atmosphere loud and insane.
- It has to be at night for massive impact of the whole show and ratings etc. -Until these two things change the week before (Night Prelim Finals) will always be better and they shouldn't be because like the NRL the Grand Final should be the biggest and best event of the year by a mile.

Loved: The Pies are now hated by oppo fans for success, instead of hate coz 'collingwood' or gleeful pity like it has been for decades.

Learnt: Well not learnt but confirmed: You don't need the best list in the comp to win it, you need the best system.

Hated: The Murphy injury and our bad kicking for goal.

Liked: Just one heck of a game from start to finish. Collingwood were the better side (esp defensively) but Brisbane took their chances. Hill's hanger was insane, Pendlebury's celebration good on him = they would have not won it without him. Tom Mitchell was superb and his 13 tackles were crucial. This was a desperate and determined team looking to end past Grand Final heartbreak. They had lost many GF's by less than 10 points over the years. Hopefully they'll meet again and the Lions get them back.
Hated: The umpiring was not too bad unlike 2016 or 2017 and maybe some other recent seasons. Well, that late missed call which was called advantage (was it an umpire mistake due to pressure?). Who knows if that free came back, could have been interesting. Channel 7 coverage terrible, too many ad breaks. All the above.

Liked: The Game just when you thought a run of 5 or 6 goals was on the cards it swung the other way.
Liked 2: Joe Danihers performance, thought had he played like Eric Hipwood he would've been slammed by all and sundry.
Learnt: thought Brisbane lacked abit of leg speed through the midfield.

Hated: Ch.7 coverage and commentary.
Hated 2: 8 years since a Hawthorn GF...Life really does sux for some of us.
Hated 3: No footy until 2024...love the game, the banter and a good game.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app
lol boo hoo you've only won a threepeat in the last decade. Enjoy the good times as I think you'll be back up again in a couple more years too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back