Analysis 2023 Grand Final wrap: Liked, Learnt, and Hated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked: A cracking game of footy. The win. The respect between both sets of fans at the game.

Learnt: Carlton supporters seem to be taking it worse than Lions supporters.

Hated: Having to figure out which way the clocks go when out celebrating.

Liked - An epic Grand Final played by 2 awesome teams. An even better pregame show - KISS proving once again that they are the "hottest band in the world". They have set the bar so high that other lesser acts will be reluctant to accept the gig in the future.

Learnt - KISS should have also played half time, and done a post game concert. Bobby Hill is a star. Steele Sidebottom is the epitome of clutch. Just like Billy Swan in the 1990 VFA GF, I didn't think Steele had it in him. Adrenaline can move mountains.

Hated - Channel 7s coverage gets worse every year - ad after ad after ad - how about letting viewers enjoy the moment of a clutch last quarter goal rather than shoving gambling ads down our throats. Or let Fox Footy air the game. And commentate the game, don't provide an uneducated opinion about EVERY free kick.

Liked: Incredible standard of footy, up there with 2018, 2006 and 1989 in my lifetime.

Learned: We are so badly serviced by our FTA broadcaster. Everything from about 11am onwards yesterday was complete cringe. The sooner Fox get to produce their own broadcast the better. I also miss the post-game concert, I hope that gets brought back, I feel like it's more inclusive for fans, and probably a bit safer, than just releasing drunks onto Swan St.

Hated: We have some really dumb rules. The advantage call that screwed Brisbane at the end? 100% the right call. Which is such a negative indictment on the rules.

Like: There was class (Bobby & Daniher) mixed with a helluva lot of resolute determination when class didn't front.

Knew: Failure to clamp Metal Arse carries high cost.

Too old for Hating. Hope that the AFL revert back to 3 central Fluoros. Four has been a Farce.

Liked: Close, exciting game.
Hated: Lions not showing up when they needed to. But I've accepted the result, Pies were better on the day.
Learnt: Collingwood won with coaching and system. Brisbane probably need more experience on the big stage at the MCG.

Liked: Great game of footy. Congrats to both teams for putting on such an exciting display and for great seasons.

Hated: Channel 7 coverage.

Learnt: AFL better than NRL at many things, putting on a GF isn’t one of them. Rugby League more grounded and working class, the players and commentators come through the public school system and the lack of “old boys” feeling is much more inclusive, relaxed and enjoyable. Commentators also more balanced and professional, they let themselves enjoy whichever team is playing well.

Liked: Bobby Hill winning the norm
Learned: Darcy Moore overrated. Smashed by Daniher.
Hated: Collingwood fans saying they deserved to win because they dominated the shots on goal but not acknowledging that they wouldn't have even made the Granny if the dees kicked straight in the Qualifying Final. Double standards.

Liked: Ripping game, Pies win was very well deserved, Bobby Hill was electric, Daicos was terrific, Pendlebury’s composure late in the game, Brisbane were gallant in defeat.

Learned: Fly is an outstanding coach, Brisbane had a few too many passengers on the day.

Hated: Was it just me, or was Channel 7’s camera work complete mud?

Liked: Pies Premiership/Bobby Hill winning the Norm/Brisbane fans gracious
Learnt: Darcy Moore is the AFLs best captain/ Melbourne posters in particular and Carlton posters to a degree melting on BF and sook like little babies
Hated: Nothing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked - one of the great grand finals no doubt, kiss were great. Happy for Oleg to finally get his chance.

Learnt - apparently collingwood is the first team and McRae the godfather of vulnerability, having fun and creating a positive environment for his players. I must have slept through Richmond doing that for our 3 flags.

Hated - umpires ruining what should have been a truly epic last 90 seconds and robbing the lions the chance to win.

Liked - WINNING FLAG #16. KISS. FLY AND BABY MAGGIE. BOBBY :hearteyes:

Learnt - I don't recover from hangovers as well as I used to.

Hated #1 - Channel 7's coverage. 1080p is like watching through a dirty window, and far too many ads, especially gambling ads.
Hated #2 - Grand Finals accepted as a corporate day out. Screw the suits, increase ticket allotment for competing club supporters.

Annoying - Home ground advantage comments. Pies were 0-3 vs interstate clubs in Grand Finals before this win.
But sure, let's move it.
Maybe to Adelaide then? Pretty sure Collingwood went 3-0 there this season, perhaps the only time a non-SA club has done that.

Liked: That Howe, Maynard and Cox are premiership players.
Learnt: Hipwood isn't good enough to be playing in a top 4 team. Good state league level player.
Hated: Daicos playing for frees all game. Has the ball on a string and can pretty much so what he likes he's that good. No need to cheat.

Liked: From a neutral point of view the umpiring was fine, some horrible nonsense which went both ways. Overall largely unobtrusive.

Learnt: Collingwoods 6 finals margins over the last 2 years are 4, 1, 7, 1, 20 and 6 points, with a 4-2 record. Belief personified

Hated: Whinging about the umpiring is a national sport of the runners up. If you are 8 goals up and don't give away 50M penalties it doesn't matter. Yeah, its frustrating and they ruin games with their constant nonsense but very rarely do they cost a side a game ie. if the Crows didnt play like hot slop for 3 quarters we wouldn't have to rely on some cross-eyed doink for a goal umpire to get it right and if Collingwood kicked 18.12 it wouldn't have mattered about the paid advantage.

Liked - the game in general. Fast, highly skilled, so bloody entertaining. Best GF I’ve watched.

Learnt - you don’t need superstar key position forwards to win a flag. You need a good blend of competitiveness in the air with pace and smarts around goal (my club should take note!).

Hated - McCreary not shaking the kids hand on stage.

liked: daicos doing a backflip goal
learnt: getting german suplexed while kicking the ball is advantageous
hated: when beau put the hat on the kid, then spun the hat around 360 degrees, snatched the medal from the kid, punched the hat off of the kids head, then grabbed the mic and said "u cant see me!!!!" and dropped the kid, before giving him a five knuckle shuffle

Liked: the first half was epic, 3rd quarter was a bit of a grind though.

Learnt: Collingwood have more big game players in their squad than any other team.

Hated: Having to watch through ch 7 without the option of foxtel, it ruined my enjoyment of an otherwise great game. The continual ads, the lack of any crowd noise atmosphere through the speakers (which they always do), s**t camera angles, it was endless how ordinary their coverage was.

Loved: that my old man ensured I remained a Pies fan, despite moving to SA when I was 2 - imagine being a Crows/Power fan, shudder

Liked: despite outside noise all year of the media jumping off and on the pies all year, we just kept our heads down and steadily got the job done

Learned: Sidebottom can kick 50+
All the negative pies "supporters" on our board throughout the year are conspicuously quiet now

Hated: I don't hate anything footy related, would like to see the bounce gone though

Liked: Collingwood are worthy premiers despite not being my preferred winners.

Hated: Channel 7's continual trashing of our great game and its greatest day of the year.

Learnt: nothing much - Collingwood were the best side all year and their stars stood up. Brisbane weren't far off, and it showed in the final margin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back