List Mgmt. 2023 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade, Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm

Here's the list of GWS players who are out of contract in 2023 (I'll progressively cross them out as they re-sign):
  • Lachie ASH
  • Callan WARD (Free Agent)
  • Brayden PREUSS
  • Tom GREEN
  • Finn CALLAGHAN
  • Lachlan KEEFFE (Free Agent)
  • Jake RICCARDI
  • Harry HIMMELBERG (Free Agent)
  • Cam FLEETON - delisted (25/9/23)
  • Matt FLYNN (Free Agent) - signed by West Coast as an Unrestricted Free Agent
  • Xavier O'HALLORAN
  • Jack BUCKLEY
  • Callum BROWN
Rookie lists:
  • Phil DAVIS (Free Agent) - retiring at end of 2023 season
  • Jacob WEHR (Free agent)
  • Dan LLOYD (Free Agent) - retiring at end of 2023 season
  • Cooper HAMILTON
  • Wade DERKSEN
  • Nick MADDEN (Cat B) - assumed re-signed due to 2 sources of info
  • Jason GILBEE (Cat B) - delisted (25/9/23)
Current list sizes (for when we get to list/draft/trade speculation):
  • main list = 36 minus 3 (Fleeton, Flynn + Kennedy delisted with a view to be re-selected in the rookie draft)
  • rookie A = 6 minus 2 (Davis, Lloyd)
  • rookie B = 2 minus 1 (Gilbee)
  • total = 44 minus 5
This is the future pick spreadsheet that comes into play only at trade time, as future picks are used in end of season (2023) trading:

Here's the 2023 AFL Academy Squad, so these (roughly) represent the best players for next year as they stand now:

2023 NAB AFL ACADEMY​

NAMESURNAMESTATESTATE LEAGUE CLUBCOMMUNITY CLUB
LachlanCaborNSW/ACTSydney Swans AcademyShellharbour
NateCaddyVIC MNorthern KnightsYarrambat
JackCallinanTASTasmania DevilsClarence
CaidenClearyNSW/ACTSydney Swans AcademySydney University
DanielCurtinWAClaremontWest Coast
JackDeleanSASouth AdelaideReynella
ZaneDuursmaVIC CGippsland PowerFoster
MitchellEdwardsWAPeel ThunderSouth Mandurah
WilliamGreenVIC MNorthern KnightsNorthcote
RileyHardemanWASwan DistrictsCaversham
WilliamLorenzVIC MOakleigh ChargersBoroondara Hawks
KaneMcAuliffeSANorth AdelaideCentral Augusta
ColbyMcKercherTASTasmania DevilsLaunceston
AshtonMoirSAGlenelgPlympton
ConnorO'SullivanNSW/ACTMurray BushrangersAlbury
WilliamPattonSAWest AdelaideMitcham
NathanPhilactidesVIC MOakleigh ChargersBlackburn
EthanReadQLDGold Coast Suns AcademyPalm Beach Currumbin
ArcherReidVIC CGippsland PowerInverloch-Kongwak
HarleyReidVIC CBendigo PioneersTongala
ArchieRobertsVIC MSandringham DragonsHampton Rovers
JakeRogersQLDGold Coast Suns AcademyBroadbeach
RyleySandersTASSandringham DragonsNorth Launceston
CooperSimpsonVIC CDandenong StingraysMount Martha
GeorgeStevensVIC CGWV RebelsSouth Warrnambool
KoltynTholstrupWASubiacoNewtown-Condingup
OrlandoTurnerNTWest AdelaideSouth Alice Springs
JedWalterQLDGold Coast Suns AcademyPalm Beach Currumbin
NickWatsonVIC MEastern RangesEast Ringwood
DarcyWilsonVIC CMurray BushrangersWangaratta Rovers

Happy speculating for 2023!

EDIT: 11/12/22 - Added Free Agent status to OOC player list
EDIT: 24/2/23 - Crossed out Tom Green from OOC player list! (Woo Hoo!!) & Added 2023 Coates Talent League Fixture Link
EDIT: 27/2/23 - Crossed out Finn Callaghan from OOC player list! (Woo Hoo Hoo!!!)
EDIT: 27/4/23 - Crossed out Jacob Wehr from OOC player list
EDIT: 10/5/23 - Crossed out Jack Buckley from OOC player list :thumbsu:
EDIT: 9/7/23 - Crossed out Callum Brown from OOC player list
EDIT: 18/7/23 - Crossed out Lachie Ash from OOC player list
EDIT: 20/7/23 - Crossed out Xavier O'Halloran from OOC player list
EDIT: 3/8/23 - Crossed out Harry Himmelberg from OOC player list
EDIT: 9/8/23 - Crossed out Wade Derksen from OOC player list
EDIT: 17/8/23 - Noted Dan Lloyd retiring at end of season
EDIT: 19/8/23 - Crossed out Jake Riccardi from OOC player list
EDIT: 28/8/23 - Noted Phil Davis retiring at end of season
EDIT: 25/9/23 - Noted Cam Fleeton & Jason Gilbee delisted
EDIT: 4/10/23 - Noted Flynn, Preuss & Keeffe situations
EDIT: 9/10/23 - Updated Flynn to WCE, removed Preuss from OOC player list
EDIT: 12/10/23 - Updated Madden with 2 sources of information
EDIT: 19/10/23 - Updated Keeffe & Hamilton re-signed
EDIT: 31/10/23 - adjusted main list numbers with Adam Kennedy delisting (with a view to be re-selected in rookie draft)

Last edited:
Having lost some midfielders I hope we give Wardy another year ..., getting him to 300 would be a huge thing for the club and it’s not as if he isn’t playing well enough

Having lost some midfielders I hope we give Wardy another year ..., getting him to 300 would be a huge thing for the club and it’s not as if he isn’t playing well enough
I do love Cal, and what he's done for us. But we do need to be careful that we extend him (and play him for that matter) for the right reasons - that's he's usefully contributing. We played him a bit off half back this season, and if that was purely because we had too many inside mids then OK, but if he's not able to contribute inside, then we'd need to be considered in whether he offers more than younger players.

Similar for Phil, love what he's brought to the club, and at times he's been a brilliant KPD, but definitely starting to slow down now. Between him & Keeffe, IMHO we should replace one at end of 2023 & one the following year. (Honestly, I believe it should have been this year and next year, but we didn't.)

Ward, Davis, Keeffe and Lloyd will surely be the players we're looking closely at during the 2023 season for whether they get extended.

I do love Cal, and what he's done for us. But we do need to be careful that we extend him (and play him for that matter) for the right reasons - that's he's usefully contributing. We played him a bit off half back this season, and if that was purely because we had too many inside mids then OK, but if he's not able to contribute inside, then we'd need to be considered in whether he offers more than younger players.

Similar for Phil, love what he's brought to the club, and at times he's been a brilliant KPD, but definitely starting to slow down now. Between him & Keeffe, IMHO we should replace one at end of 2023 & one the following year. (Honestly, I believe it should have been this year and next year, but we didn't.)

Ward, Davis, Keeffe and Lloyd will surely be the players we're looking closely at during the 2023 season for whether they get extended.
Ward showed more than enough, and a 5th bench member would be great spot for him. I saw that he was still ranked as one the best "red-time" players in the comp with contested possies and disposal efficiency (iirc).

Ward showed more than enough, and a 5th bench member would be great spot for him. I saw that he was still ranked as one the best "red-time" players in the comp with contested possies and disposal efficiency (iirc).
I believe AFL has gone with a "tactical substitute" approach rather than the 5-man bench.

The issue is not how he was at the end of 2022, but rather how he is at the end of 2023. I hope he plays strongly and is worthy of another year.

:thumbsu:

That's the 2022 AFL Season done and dusted, and time to start thinking 2023. Here's Lore's 2023 Provisional Draft Picks table, which will wax and wane as the 2023 season progresses:

Here's the list of GWS players who are out of contract in 2023 (I'll progressively cross them out as they re-sign):
  • Lachie ASH
  • Callum WARD
  • Brayden PREUSS
  • Tom GREEN
  • Finn CALLAGHAN
  • Lachlan KEEFFE
  • Jake RICCARDI
  • Harry HIMMELBERG
  • Cam FLEETON
  • Matt FLYNN
  • Xavier O'HALLORAN
  • Jack BUCKLEY
  • Callum BROWN
Rookie lists:
  • Phil DAVIS
  • Jacob WEHR
  • Dan LLOYD
  • Cooper HAMILTON
  • Wade DERKSEN
  • Nick MADDEN (Cat B)
  • Jason GILBEE (Cat B)
Current list sizes (for when we get to list/draft/trade speculation):
  • main list = 36
  • rookie A = 6
  • rookie B = 2
  • total = 44
Here's the 2023 AFL Academy Squad, so these (roughly) represent the best players for next year as they stand now:

2023 NAB AFL ACADEMY​

NAMESURNAMESTATESTATE LEAGUE CLUBCOMMUNITY CLUB
LachlanCaborNSW/ACTSydney Swans AcademyShellharbour
NateCaddyVIC MNorthern KnightsYarrambat
JackCallinanTASTasmania DevilsClarence
CaidenClearyNSW/ACTSydney Swans AcademySydney University
DanielCurtinWAClaremontWest Coast
JackDeleanSASouth AdelaideReynella
ZaneDuursmaVIC CGippsland PowerFoster
MitchellEdwardsWAPeel ThunderSouth Mandurah
WilliamGreenVIC MNorthern KnightsNorthcote
RileyHardemanWASwan DistrictsCaversham
WilliamLorenzVIC MOakleigh ChargersBoroondara Hawks
KaneMcAuliffeSANorth AdelaideCentral Augusta
ColbyMcKercherTASTasmania DevilsLaunceston
AshtonMoirSAGlenelgPlympton
ConnorO'SullivanNSW/ACTMurray BushrangersAlbury
WilliamPattonSAWest AdelaideMitcham
NathanPhilactidesVIC MOakleigh ChargersBlackburn
EthanReadQLDGold Coast Suns AcademyPalm Beach Currumbin
ArcherReidVIC CGippsland PowerInverloch-Kongwak
HarleyReidVIC CBendigo PioneersTongala
ArchieRobertsVIC MSandringham DragonsHampton Rovers
JakeRogersQLDGold Coast Suns AcademyBroadbeach
RyleySandersTASSandringham DragonsNorth Launceston
CooperSimpsonVIC CDandenong StingraysMount Martha
GeorgeStevensVIC CGWV RebelsSouth Warrnambool
KoltynTholstrupWASubiacoNewtown-Condingup
OrlandoTurnerNTWest AdelaideSouth Alice Springs
JedWalterQLDGold Coast Suns AcademyPalm Beach Currumbin
NickWatsonVIC MEastern RangesEast Ringwood
DarcyWilsonVIC CMurray BushrangersWangaratta Rovers

I'll ask PMBangers to provide some analysis of the GWS Academy crop (though noting none has made it to the AFL Academy list), and add it here at some time.

Happy speculating for 2023!
Who’s Callum Ward?

Tom Green think has a bit written about him in this one if anyone's got it unlocked

'll ask @PMBangers to provide some analysis of the GWS Academy crop (though noting none has made it to the AFL Academy list), and add it here at some time.
Not much worth adding in unfortunately, Thomas Harvey (Harvey Thomas? one of the two variations) is a nice composed decision maker but real short and light so is up against it, especially considering he doesn't appear to have the same level of athleticism as someone like Darcy Jones or Brent Daniels. Jacob Jones is an undersized marking target up forward with a nice leap and set of hands, but he hasn't put anything near the body of work that Thomas has

TOM GREEN (GWS)

Green is contracted until the end of 2023 and made clear very early he wasn’t going to be part of the exodus of players that saw Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper move to Richmond.

The grandson of Richmond premiership player Michael won’t be finding his way to Punt Rd but could show his burgeoning leadership by re-signing past 2023 with a minimum of fuss.

Those talks have not yet kicked off but Green can write his own cheque as an AFL player given his huge talent as a clearance beast.

GWS will hope that it is at a club where he has already professed his loyalty.

He stated his intention to stay early this year when he said “I’m contracted for this year and next year and I absolutely love being here, which is something not encouraging for Richmond fans to hear, I guess.”

Tom Green, HH and Callaghan are the three most important/big pieces to land first.

Lachie Ash (Madam Paddles) is poised to have a breakout year.

Riccardi has his last chance (at the Giants) to prove he can kick straight in AFL. I was so excited for him to level up this year, and he was absolutely lost, but then still strong in the VFL.

Tom Green, HH and Callaghan are the three most important/big pieces to land first.

Lachie Ash (Madam Paddles) is poised to have a breakout year.

Riccardi has his last chance (at the Giants) to prove he can kick straight in AFL. I was so excited for him to level up this year, and he was absolutely lost, but then still strong in the VFL.
Agree. Football clubs use hope as a currency…. Hope for a premiership was the currency of years gone by. We are now back in that mini reset so it has to be hope for the future. Those signatures are critical for members and fans searching for that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would think Richmond is out of the picture short term. I think he stays a couple more years.
Most of the Melbourne teams have reasonable midfield, I doubt/ hope he doesn't want to go to Geelong ( they will have big cap space 2024 onwards , Bruhn, Bowes etc might end up being flops).
I think Collingwood would be the biggest threat.
Need some good young players to complement Nick Daicos.

Got a bad feeling TG is leaving.
He does say he loves it here, have no doubt the club has thrown the dollars at him.
So why no sig? He is still early in his career. Not like Cogs or Chook with their last deals.
Because he needed to wait till they cleared out the cap space (which we did with TT and Hopper).

And now he probably wants to see how the new coach/new team settles and if he wants to be a big part (see leadership) of it. Not gonna sign on without getting a sense of the new boss and how he wants to play through the middle.

So, I think it's totally fair for him not to have signed yet... but by round 7-10, things are going to start getting pretty loud.

Got a bad feeling TG is leaving.
He does say he loves it here, have no doubt the club has thrown the dollars at him.
So why no sig? He is still early in his career. Not like Cogs or Chook with their last deals.
He would just want to show a better version of himself…. Rather than the one who was embarrassingly playing part time ruck.

From The Age, a list of 2023 Free Agents (* denotes previously delisted):
  • Harry Himmelberg
  • Matt Flynn
  • Callan Ward
  • Lachie Keeffe *
  • Phil Davis (R) *
  • Daniel Lloyd (R) *
  • Jacob Wehr (R) *
Would think HH re-signs or at least someone they'd want to retain unless there's a big trade offer from someone else, Flynn could go either way probably someone you'd try to retain, this could be Ward's last year but he might want to do 1 more, would think Keefe is done, Phil is done, Lloyd and Wehr playing for new contract's I'd imagine. Teams are always on the search for KPF so wouldn't put it past a club to make a bit of a push for HH, Collingwood came really hard for McStay and I'd say HH is better plus he's a great defender down back as well.

Random but has anyone else watched the doco: ‘Welcome to Wrexham’?
I like the show… obviously it’s a very different setup to our context but it shows the power of private ownership… if done well.

Random but has anyone else watched the doco: ‘Welcome to Wrexham’?
I like the show… obviously it’s a very different setup to our context but it shows the power of private ownership… if done well.
Haven't seen the show but idea of private ownership is really good if you have good owners that are wealthy, willing to spend and aren't to overbearing in the management of the football operations however once you start to have owners that become too interested in trying to play GM and are too cheap to spend up for big contracts for the players then thats when things can become really difficult for a team. I follow the Red Sox in the MLB and even though the owner is extremly wealthy he has an unwillingness to hand out the big contracts required to sign top players and that's lead to numerous elite players over the last 5 years leaving because ownership is too cheap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back