Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I thought your earlier post was insinuating we’d get a first round pick for a salary dump.

If we can get a pick off GWS for instance, I’d love if we just went to the draft with it and our original pick. Plenty of talent in the top 20!

Adding Watson/Caddy + Archer Reid + McCabe to our current list would be bonkers.
Yeah I was mate.

I was just saying if we hypothetically get 4 and 5, we might trade up. A player might be involved.

I would prefer to take Watson and Caddy, than to trade up for Reid to be honest.

Yeah I was mate.

I was just saying if we hypothetically get 4 and 5, we might trade up. A player might be involved.

I would prefer to take Watson and Caddy, than to trade up for Reid to be honest.

Got it. Completely agree.

Get the feeling that Watson and Caddy will be pick 2 & 3, so unlikely to get both.

Would be funny if we went balls to the wall, brought our F1 into this year and took three first round picks + McCabe. Foxfooty might even call it a C+!!!

Got it. Completely agree.

Get the feeling that Watson and Caddy will be pick 2 & 3, so unlikely to get both.

Would be funny if we went balls to the wall, brought our F1 into this year and took three first round picks + McCabe. Foxfooty might even call it a C+!!!
If we had those picks and could keep 1 and still trade up for Reid, so trade 3 plus f1 add DGB for example, but still also keep pick 5 and take Duursma caddy Wilson then I think we would have to consider it. That said if we get 2 picks inside 10 plus McCabe that’s a great result too. The key is to get the picks in to open up those options given the top 10 I saw today I am pretty happy who we would walk away with in that scenario.

I tend to completely disagree.
Collingwood were 1point away from playing in a Grand Final a season after finishing 17th and having a fire sale. There key position players were Darcy Moore and Mihockeck. They went with a game plan that really suited their list it's not always about having 4 superstar key position players.

No but Collingwood's list demographic also doesn't consist of playing double figure sub 50 game players every week.

The Collingwood 2021 to 2022 comparison is a poor one, Collingwood made a GF 2018, Prelim 2019, SF 2020.

Hawthorn have missed finals since 2018, been bottom 6 2020, 2021, 2022 and this year.

Can’t see how its possible, when Harley will go Pick 1 and Watson Pick 2.
Agreed, but “it is a big bridge”. Watson is still very much in the frame, and increasingly I am told, a KPF. “We will keep winning so I reckon Harley is increasingly out of the frame”. Yesterday from my Club contact.

Yeah I was mate.

I understand, that is the reality of the situation.

Getting three quality Draft picks plus one or two FA would make our List much more competitive, versatile and attractive.

Don’t underestimate a competitive outlook makes the attraction of FA’s easier.

Happy Pumped Up GIF by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment

Gifs you can hear.

If as Nelk Boys suggests we are looking good for a potential salary dump deal, puts us in an even stronger position to trade our future first next year for an early pick in this years draft on the expectation we can push up the ladder in 2024. 3 picks inside top 10?!

HYPOTHETICAL

We finish 3rd last
_________

Pick 6 Salary dump for Whitfield
_________

Pick 3, DGB, Brockman for Pick 1
_________

Pick 6 and Future first for pick 2
_________

GAIN
Pick 1 Harley, Pick 2 Watson, Match McCabe bid + Whitfield

LOSE
DGB, Brockman, Pick 3, Pick 5, Future First

Do we do it?!?

HYPOTHETICAL

We finish 3rd last
_________

_________

_________

_________

GAIN

LOSE

Do we do it?!?

Holy s**t I hope not - 3 first round picks, a player drafted in the first round and a first round caliber talent for 2 first round picks, and McCabe who we are going to get anyway and a Whitfield steak knife - hard pass..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HYPOTHETICAL

We finish 3rd last
_________

_________

_________

_________

GAIN

LOSE

Do we do it?!?

That Future first can be exchanged for GC 1st pick.

So we need to compare with taking to draft

3,6,7,Brocky, DGB (+ keeping salary space)

with

1,2, Whitfield

I am not sure, I can be persuaded to do it

Last edited:
Giants have locked away Green, Taylor and Callaghan. Himmelberg seems likely to leave.

Haynes might even retire.

Pretty optimistic thinking they'd give up pick six to move Whitfield lol
And based on the precedent set by the Cats and if needed to best manage our TPP spread his salary over a different time period

And based on the precedent set by the Cats and if needed to best manage our TPP spread his salary over a different time period

Whitfield isn't Bowes mate.

Whitfield is playing well and has a few good years left that would entice finals teams.

If by chance Giants wanted to move him, they certainly won't need to give up a blue chip pick to do so.

It would be like Treloar. They'd accept a nothing pick and pay part of his salary.

If Himmelberg leaves there's probably no issue with their salary cap anyway given Tarranto and Hopper left last year.

Whitfield isn't Bowes mate.

Whitfield is playing well and has a few good years left that would entice finals teams.

If by chance Giants wanted to move him, they certainly won't need to give up a blue chip pick to do so.

It would be like Treloar. They'd accept a nothing pick and pay part of his salary.

If Himmelberg leaves there's probably no issue with their salary cap anyway given Tarranto and Hopper left last year.
They are not able to keep Himmelberg due to Salary pressures. Neither can they match offers and force a trade. Once Whitfield is cleared, they can be aggressive and force teams(Cats??) to up the offer for Himmelberg and get Band 1 compo

HYPOTHETICAL

We finish 3rd last
_________

_________

_________

_________

GAIN

LOSE

Do we do it?!?
OR

GAIN
Pick 3, Pick 6, Whitfield, McCabe

LOSE
Nothing

Not sure that will be the case. Haynes contract expires next year whereas Whitfield is on a massive contract, back ended until the end of 2027.
They only need the cap space this year to either re sign Himmelberg or have the space to match and force a trade.

My understanding is that they have now closed that loophole. They could have closed it before the Bowes trade......

It's ridiculous. What's the point of a salary dump if you can spread it out over two more years?
Yeah exactly. Why couldn't Gold Coast have just done that? What was 2 more years at slightly above league average to them, especially for a local talent?

A loophole that never should have existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back