Injury 2023 injury thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As per previous years, we'll have a thread running for general injury discussion but when circumstances call for it we'll have individual threads

Please feel free to populate this thread with any news you here, and do so with the acknowledgement that thread watchers inch ever closer to a heartattack when there's a new notification for in here...

And here's one to start us off with news we don't really want to read - foot injuries aren't what you like to hear about

As per previous years, we'll have a thread running for general injury discussion but when circumstances call for it we'll have individual threads

Please feel free to populate this thread with any news you here, and do so with the acknowledgement that thread watchers inch ever closer to a heartattack when there's a new notification for in here...
Let’s hope this thread remains short!

And here's one to start us off with news we don't really want to read - foot injuries aren't what you like to hear about

I understand that it is up to 15 weeks which takes us toward end of april? I suspect they would then build him up with a proper pre season (unless that 15 weeks includes the fitness build up).

Big guys with foot injuries - and young - I suspect they are super cautious with Toby

Also we have heard no news on Flynn and Willis… wonder whether the mitch Cleary tweet might encourage the club to give an injury update? I notice most other clubs have done so

Can anyone update me on Hawkins? I was o/s over December/1H January, so didn't read anything. Is he out for the first half of 2023, or do we not know?

Can anyone update me on Hawkins? I was o/s over December/1H January, so didn't read anything. Is he out for the first half of 2023, or do we not know?

Sounds like he will start running soon. Out for the first month or so they havent really given a timeframe beyond that.

Also we have heard no news on Flynn and Willis… wonder whether the mitch Cleary tweet might encourage the club to give an injury update? I notice most other clubs have done so
Hope springs eternal, I guess. In reality, though, I'd be shocked if the club did anything along the lines of a comprehensive injury update for quite some time yet. After all, we barely get them during the actual season, let alone as part of the preseason period.

#neverchangegeelong
#facepalmemoji
#flynnkroegeristhenewjoshcowan
#evenwitnessprotectiondoesntworkthiswell

Hope springs eternal, I guess. In reality, though, I'd be shocked if the club did anything along the lines of a comprehensive injury update for quite some time yet. After all, we barely get them during the actual season, let alone as part of the preseason period.

#neverchangegeelong
#facepalmemoji
#flynnkroegeristhenewjoshcowan
#evenwitnessprotectiondoesntworkthiswell
Yep…not holding my breath….

but i see every day a note from other clubs on injuries and nothing from Cats. we have to find out via rumours…

maybe it doesn’t matter but not sure why they would hide them. In particular when you specifically give a 1-4 year update and don’t mention that 3 of them have injuries…

Yep…not holding my breath….

but i see every day a note from other clubs on injuries and nothing from Cats. we have to find out via rumours…

maybe it doesn’t matter but not sure why they would hide them. In particular when you specifically give a 1-4 year update and don’t mention that 3 of them have injuries…
Couldn't agree more. This kind of behaviour is 'peak Geelong' injury updating, though. No other club is so far 'ahead of the game' to think that not advising the general public of who's actually injured during your preseason manifests in some competitive advantage to your team.

As it is, I think our current 'blood from a stone' m.o. in this area is demeaning to both the players involved and the supporter base. Treats the players who are ignored as unworthy of any attention, and suggests to the fans that your interest in how said players are progressing is both unhealthy and unwelcome.

It's all just a bit silly and immature, in my opinion.

I had to laugh at the reply to Conway's injury in that Tweet.

Fm1Cz_LaYAAGGE-

In all seriousness we'd be glad we didn't trade him now. We're very thin for talks with Hawk and Conway out.

Conway wont affect sav getting a game as sav is no chance of playing ruck unless blitz goes down. Savs chance will be as a kpd but he still probably will need injury to get in. I can see why we knocked back a good offer for him though.

Conway wont affect sav getting a game as sav is no chance of playing ruck unless blitz goes down. Savs chance will be as a kpd but he still probably will need injury to get in. I can see why we knocked back a good offer for him though.
It is possible that Ceglar and Stanley go down at the same time. If so, Blics can't carry the ruck by himself. At the moment, Sav would be ahead of Neale as a backup ruck selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is possible that Ceglar and Stanley go down at the same time. If so, Blics can't carry the ruck by himself. At the moment, Sav would be ahead of Neale as a backup ruck selection.
Would he? How much time has Ratugolea been spending on his ruck craft over summer versus learning a new role down back, compared with others who may be seen as being options in the ruck?

Or would we do what we did last year and use Henry as the back up ruck option?

Would he? How much time has Ratugolea been spending on his ruck craft over summer versus learning a new role down back, compared with others who may be seen as being options in the ruck?

Henry could play as a stopgap but he is not a ruckman, and it would weaken our defence.
Sav has had 5 years of playing ruck. He won’t have forgotten.

Henry could play as a stopgap but he is not a ruckman, and it would weaken our defence.
Sav has had 5 years of playing ruck. He won’t have forgotten.

Depends on what the MC is looking for - because while Ratugolea has played in the ruck over his career, I'm not sure he's shown anywhere near enough to suggest he could hold down the #1 ruck role even on a short term basis. It's not so much "forgetting" how to play the role, but has he shown enough during his time playing the role?

So if we were in a position of no Ceglar or Stanley for a period, then it wouldn't be surprising to see Blicavs asked to take the #1 role with support from others - whether that's Henry offering 5 minutes a quarter or Neale coming in to play forward/ruck support and help expand on his game

Depends on what the MC is looking for - because while Ratugolea has played in the ruck over his career, I'm not sure he's shown anywhere near enough to suggest he could hold down the #1 ruck role even on a short term basis. It's not so much "forgetting" how to play the role, but has he shown enough during his time playing the role?

So if we were in a position of no Ceglar or Stanley for a period, then it wouldn't be surprising to see Blicavs asked to take the #1 role with support from others - whether that's Henry offering 5 minutes a quarter or Neale coming in to play forward/ruck support and help expand on his game
The discussion was not about sav being a number one Ruckman, it was about who would back up Blics. If it was for three or four games, having Blics and Henry in the ruck could cost us games.

Neale could provide some backup, but then it would take him away from the forward line. When Hawkins comes back, he will not be providing support other than in the forward line.

My impression from watching Neale in the VFL is that he is not a natural Ruckman, and it is not his preferred position.

I think in that scenario blitz would become first ruck and neale as a fwd/2nd ruck as he is considered more of that role and sav is more of a defender (based on where they both played at vfl level).

Although tbh if both stanley and ceglar went down we would probably bring in a mature aged ruck in the mid season draft anyway so we can retain structural flexibility with blitz.

The discussion was not about sav being a number one Ruckman, it was about who would back up Blics. If it was for three or four games, having Blics and Henry in the ruck could cost us games.

Neale could provide some backup, but then it would take him away from the forward line. When Hawkins comes back, he will not be providing support other than in the forward line.

My impression from watching Neale in the VFL is that he is not a natural Ruckman, and it is not his preferred position.

Neither neale nor sav is a natural ruckman but neale is taller, has the better reach and technically looks better with his tapwork. He would be the logical choice.
Also its structurally easier to have a fwd who rucks for 5min a qtr than a defender who rucks for 5min a qtr.

We could also bring in another ruck mid season if needed (as we have a list spot open).

Neither neale nor sav is a natural ruckman but neale is taller, has the better reach and technically looks better with his tapwork. He would be the logical choice.
Also its structurally easier to have a fwd who rucks for 5min a qtr than a defender who rucks for 5min a qtr.
But by the time in mid season we lose Stanley and Ceglar (hypothetical), Hawk will be back and Neale won’t be in the team.
In fact, as Stanley often dropped back to defence after the bounce and let Blics take over, Esava with his new defensive skills is perfect for that role. Particularly, as he is reasonably good at Centre bounces, but ineffective at throw ins and ball ups.

But by the time in mid season we lose Stanley and Ceglar (hypothetical), Hawk will be back and Neale won’t be in the team.
In fact, as Stanley often dropped back to defence after the bounce and let Blics take over, Esava with his new defensive skills is perfect for that role. Particularly, as he is reasonably good at Centre bounces, but ineffective at throw ins and ball ups.

Im saying if you lost stanley and ceglar you would play all of hawk cameron and neale (with cameron up the ground) and neale is the 2nd ruck to blicavs. I prefer that structure to changing our defence to get sav in for him to be 2nd ruck-given he is quite ineffective around the ground in the ruck.

In any case my point was broader and was that if we lose stanley and ceglar we would bring in another ruck mid season-no way we would we go to a finals campaign with just blitz and a couple of pinch hitters and nothing in reserve.

Hopefully stanley stays fit.

We could also bring in another ruck mid season if needed (as we have a list spot open).
I don’t believe there will be a ruck available mid season who is as good as Esava or Neale. Project player maybe.
Im saying if you lost stanley and ceglar you would play all of hawk cameron and neale (with cameron up the ground) and neale is the 2nd ruck to blicavs. I prefer that structure to changing our defence to get sav in for him to be 2nd ruck-given he is quite ineffective around the ground in the ruck.

In any case my point was broader and was that if we lose stanley and ceglar we would bring in another ruck mid season-no way we would we go to a finals campaign with just blitz and a couple of pinch hitters and nothing in reserve.

Hopefully stanley stays fit.
There would be no ruckman available mid season capable of playing finals football. If there was , he would be gone by the time it got to our pick.

I don’t believe there will be a ruck available mid season who is as good as Esava or Neale. Project player maybe.

There would be no ruckman available mid season capable of playing finals football. If there was , he would be gone by the time it got to our pick.

Ruck is one position in which i am confident of finding a good state league option so we will agree to disagree on that one.

Ruck is one position in which i am confident of finding a good state league option so we will agree to disagree on that one.
There's always JJ if we are scratching the bottom...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back