Injury 2023 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
We have one of these each year, so might as well start now.

Blakey mild case of glandular fever, 3 weeks off.
Amartey out for a few more weeks with a hamstring injury.
Clarke & McLean back into skill work & training respectively.
Wicks injured shoulder last week , still under investigation.

Lance Franklin. Sam Reid and Tom Hickey continue to work through their individual pre-season training programs. They won’t be involved in match play this weekend, but are expected to feature in the upcoming pre-season practice match series against Brisbane and Carlton respectively.

Last edited:

Tom McCartin with a hammy issue from the scratch match today. As reported from someone who was there. Let's hope its just precautionary.

Nick Blakey glandular fever? Hmmm, took me back to this (Isaac returned in Round 5).

Tom McCartin with a hammy issue from the scratch match today. As reported from someone who was there. Let's hope its just precautionary.
Precautionary? Hmmm, reminds me of this - check out paragraph 2:

The All-Australian forward didn’t make it to quarter-time at Lavington Sports Ground but the Swans say pulling him out was a precautionary move and will assess him in the coming days.

Tom ended up returning in Round 7.

Sadly, my general rule of thumb with Swans injuries is that I believe nothing the club says. Time after time I find that the update they provide is always more optimistic than the reality.

Last edited:

The All-Australian forward didn’t make it to quarter-time at Lavington Sports Ground but the Swans say pulling him out was a precautionary move and will assess him in the coming days.

Sadly, my general rule of thumb with Swans injuries is that I believe nothing the club says. Time after time I find that the update they provide is always more optimistic than the reality.

All we have to go on is a tweet from some who watched the game! Let's take a breath and wait before we have him out for half a season:tongueoutv1:

This is why I have trust issues

So to count up all the injuries we're currently juggling

Gould
Hickey
Ladhams
Konstanty
Papley
McLean
Amartey
Blakey
Clarke
Wicks
Fox
Cunningham

That is worse than it got at any point last season. Immediately testing the depth, even if a decent chunk of them will be ready by R1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So to count up all the injuries we're currently juggling

Gould
Hickey
Ladhams
Konstanty
Papley
McLean
Amartey
Blakey
Clarke
Wicks
Fox
Cunningham

That is worse than it got at any point last season. Immediately testing the depth, even if a decent chunk of them will be ready by R1
If there is any consolation I suppose this is the best time to have our most injuries. It's like eating your vegetables first. Get them out of the way. Then take your time with the meat and gravy.

Gould played 3 quarters in the VFL though apparently he has been having some back issues recently. McLean and Blakey played 2 quarters in the VFL.

During the VFL match. Melican, Amartey, Papley, Magor, Sheather and Cunningham were doing a lengthy running session around the boundary.
Blakey looked an absolute cut above but after one burst he bent over gasping. Hopefully he'll be 100% by Rd1.

Callum Mills
Callum suffered a finger injury during the Brisbane game. He won't play against Carlton but will continue to train fully and is expected to play round 1.
Tom Hickey
Tom continues to progress in his return from a calf strain. He is currently completing strength and conditioning based work, however, is yet to commence running. At this stage, we don’t expect him to be available for at least the first few rounds of the season.
Tom Papley
Tom suffered a knock to the ribs in training two weeks ago and did not play against Brisbane due to some bruising. He will be managed again this week but will train fully and we expect him to play round 1.
Robbie Fox
Robbie suffered a calf strain at training. He is currently completing strength-based work and is yet to commence running. He will be unavailable for selection in round 1.
Jacob Konstanty
Jacob has progressed really well in his first preseason with the club. He has had some shin soreness which is requiring modification to his training and running loads for a 2-week period, before recommencing full training.
Ryan Clarke
Ryan Clarke is progressing slowly from his hamstring strain. He will be unavailable for the first few rounds of the 2023 AFL Season.

Seem to be more soft tissue issues this pre-season, including guys who are now available.

Poor old Robbie Fox, finally on his way to establishing a spot in the best 22 and now......

Yep will open up an opportunity for someone else, but still much prefer we had Fox in the team.

Last edited:

Callum Mills
Callum suffered a finger injury during the Brisbane game. He won't play against Carlton but will continue to train fully and is expected to play round 1.
Tom Hickey
Tom continues to progress in his return from a calf strain. He is currently completing strength and conditioning based work, however, is yet to commence running. At this stage, we don’t expect him to be available for at least the first few rounds of the season.
Tom Papley
Tom suffered a knock to the ribs in training two weeks ago and did not play against Brisbane due to some bruising. He will be managed again this week but will train fully and we expect him to play round 1.
Robbie Fox
Robbie suffered a calf strain at training. He is currently completing strength-based work and is yet to commence running. He will be unavailable for selection in round 1.
Jacob Konstanty
Jacob has progressed really well in his first preseason with the club. He has had some shin soreness which is requiring modification to his training and running loads for a 2-week period, before recommencing full training.
Ryan Clarke
Ryan Clarke is progressing slowly from his hamstring strain. He will be unavailable for the first few rounds of the 2023 AFL Season.

Seem to be more soft tissue issues this pre-season, including guys who are now available.

Poor old Robbie Fox, finally on his way to establishing a spot in the best 22 and now......

Yep will open up an opportunity for someone else, but still much prefer we had Fox in the team.
So Hickey, Fox and Clarke definitely out Rd1.
Hickey -> Ladhams
Fox trickier could be Gould if his back is OK or Campbell. Love to see Gould get a run.
Clarke could be Sheldrick or Konstanty. Like to see Sheldrick in a rotation with Parker and Papley.
Don't see any shuffles that would offer more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back