Prediction 2023 Ladder Prediction Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not the best defence. Just play RTB football.

mature response. Likely lose to Brisbane in Brisbane and slip to 7th or 8th.

You think that the rampaging Blues, pr both Sydney sides on a 2nd half season surge (game in Sydney) are going to struggle with St.Kilda?

I don’t.
You just seem salty about us. Did you watch the game between our sides last weekend? Did you not think we looked pretty good?

Sure we may go out in the first week of finals but to label us finals fodder is just dumb and salty.

Last edited:
Saints are a side with bugger all talent but simply try their hardest every week. When other teams apply similar heat they don't have the list to get on top.

Can't imagine that stacks up in finals barring them coming up against a team thats overawed by the occasion or a bit off.
Yes we are the only side out of the competition that try their hardest every week

Don't tell the rest of the competition our secret though

What was the record for a team smashed in a GF to make finals the following year?

The Swans denied the odds once again.

No doubt with zero recognition.
Dogs made the finals in 2022 after getting smashed in the granny, while GWS didn't make finals in 2020. So Sydney had a 50/50 chance then

1 Melbourne - Premiers
2 Geelong - GF

Gonna be one of the best GFs of recent years, tough and tight between these two

3 Fremantle
4 Carlton

Two strong up and comers who should find maturity and consistency

5 Collingwood

Got a strong 2nd year hangover vibe with the surprise Pies in 23. Seems like there will be some player turnover too which means a clean slate. Rate Fly and Leppa highly but a minor step back before big push in coming years.

6 Gold Coast

The big headline. Contingent on Dew actually being a decent coach, which he seems capable of being. So much firepower and they will momentum for a while. Ben King will destroy teams (as would his brother if he could bloody kick straight and had decent service). Will be enjoyable to watch.

7 Port Adelaide

Slowly building, they started so poorly in 22 but have plenty of character and talent

8 Brisbane

Having to panic-buy a new coach will ultimately cost them, but they are too strong to completely sink, although I'm not too confident they'll make the 8.
========
9 Richmond

Transition year ahead before rising again.

10 Adelaide

Similar to their SA rivals, they are building a decent squad and will push for the 8.

11 Sydney

That GF will rock belief and I think they are in for a transition year too, but I can't be too confident that this club will ever really drop away.

12 Bulldogs

Something's not right here and I expect Bevo to depart at the end of the season. Strange brew, the whole club.

13 St Kilda

Well s**t. I just don't believe our current game plan is any good, our coach hadn't really convinced and our list is teetering. Won't be truly terrible but will continue to disappoint.

14 West Coast

They won't be as awful as they were but not a whole lot better. Rebuild mode will start with Simpson moving back to Vic at the end of the season.

15 Essendon

Just a pure rabble, but will trick their supporters into thinking they are going places for a couple of fleeting moments.

16 Hawthorn

Just don't see it with these guys.

17 GWS

Rebuild ground zero but without the support of more established teams, a bleak winter awaits.

18 North Melbourne

Oh gawd. Nightmare season. Good luck.

Coleman: Ben King
Brownlow: Caleb Serong
Coach of the year: Dew
Norm Smith: Clayton Oliver
North Melbourne coach: Leigh Adams (interim)
Essendon coach: Adem Yze
Brisbane coach: Ross Lyon
Sacked coaches: Ratten, Simpson, Beveridge
So far not going great

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn bro you are really taking this loss badly. If we kicked straight and gave Geelong the 80 point loss that would of eventuated you'd be in a world of pain. :(

Looking forward to finals, i think our best football will match and beat anyone elses.
Hope you enjoyed finals.

I love the number who constantly ignore the tried and tested patterns - there’s usually a side who rises from the bottom 8 to make the top 4, and there are often at least 3 changes to the top 8 each year.
Sure, but picking which of those it will be is the art. Picking one almost at random just because that usually happens is likely to lead to a result even further away than ignoring that history.

Sure, but picking which of those it will be is the art. Picking one almost at random just because that usually happens is likely to lead to a result even further away than ignoring that history.
Not 100% relevenat but this just popped into my mind ...

1694468286572.jpeg

How did you go?
Happy to make the 8 this with such a young team. We got 106 games into teenagers this year only bettered by west coast with 112. More than hawthorn and north who were bottom 3. Based on that we should be bottom 4 but we aren’t we made finals whilst basically rebuilding. The future is bright I’m more than happy where we sit.

Happy to make the 8 this with such a young team. We got 106 games into teenagers this year only bettered by west coast with 112. More than hawthorn and north who were bottom 3. Based on that we should be bottom 4 but we aren’t we made finals whilst basically rebuilding. The future is bright I’m more than happy where we sit.
They held on well, when all were expecting them to slide, largely due to the Lyon-inspired defensive setup.

The worry is defence at all costs only papers over the cracks.

Are you better off to have made the eight or not in the long run?

I thought they looked better when they moved the ball faster - hope Lyon doesn’t hold you back.

They held on well, when all were expecting them to slide, largely due to the Lyon-inspired defensive setup.

I thought they looked better when they moved the ball faster - hope Lyon doesn’t hold you back.
We did look better when we moved the ball faster but the kids got tired in the second half of the year. I’m happy to make finals and play one at the G even if we lost it as it’s been so long but yeah Lyon has a lot of work ahead of him and we are on the right track in my opinion but we are interesting watch

We usually moved the ball fast.

But it didn't' make us an attacking team by virtue of us having a lot of numbers behind the ball.

We went fast when we got it though and that was part of our haulmark as a running team.

I don't think it's a defence at ALL costs. Lyon has been pretty vocal on wanting to score more so I suspect it's going to be an emphasis over the offseason. Will always be defence first though.

Originally posted on the Pies board but some thoughts on Melbourne:

They haven't beaten a top 4 team since they won their flag in 2021.

0-6 against Geel, Syd and Coll last year + straight sets in finals
0-2 against Bris and Port as current in form top 4 teams this season

Their only win against a decent team this year was against the Bulldogs in round 1, who were clearly still on holidays.

Yet, everyone seems to think they're still a benchmark team.

Brisbane are as underrated as Melbourne are overrated. Going along very nicely.
B-b-b-b-bump

OK, now that the trade period is done and dusted, I can't see how the ladder can be any different to this:

1. Collingwood
2. Brisbane
3. Geelong
4. Port Adelaide
5. Sydney
6. Melbourne
7. Western Bulldogs
8. Fremantle
9. Richmond
10. Gold Coast
11. Carlton
12. St Kilda
13. Adelaide
14. Essendon
15. GWS
16. West Coast
17. North Melbourne
18. Hawthorn
Hey Mighty Aphrodite I see you had a little chuckle at my ladder prediction from October last year whilst I was on a little vacation.

What did you find so funny about it?

Was it my prediction of Collingwood in top spot that tickled your fancy, or maybe Brisbane in 2nd?

I'm not sure many others had Port in the top 4, and after Carlton beat Melbourne last night, the Dees finish a spot closer to my predicted 6th placed finish (and may even finish 6th if GWS win tonight).

I've asked it before to another Carlton supporter who had a similar reaction - find me someone with a better prediction than mine in this thread.

Go.

Hey Mighty Aphrodite I see you had a little chuckle at my ladder prediction from October last year whilst I was on a little vacation.

What did you find so funny about it?

I've asked it before to another Carlton supporter who had a similar reaction - find me someone with a better prediction than mine in this thread.

Go.
Yours

1. Collingwood
2. Brisbane
3. Geelong
4. Port Adelaide
5. Sydney
6. Melbourne
7. Western Bulldogs
8. Fremantle
-----
9. Richmond
10. Gold Coast
11. Carlton
12. St Kilda
13. Adelaide
14. Essendon
15. GWS
16. West Coast
17. North Melbourne
18. Hawthorn

Mine

Geelong
Sydney
Collingwood
Brisbane
Melbourne
Richmond
Carlton
St Kilda
-----
Bulldogs
Fremantle
Port Adelaide
Gold Coast
Hawks
Adelaide
GWS
Essendon
West Coast
North Melbourne

Top eight, THREE wrong v TWO

Bottom ten, as above

Now stand to attention and salute your King

In fact the very first post in this thread is closer then yours Fadge without looking further. Maybe next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back