News 2023 Leadership Group Announced

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as it pains me to say this the fruit tingles at least showed some comic cuts with their captaincy decision, and as for DBJ retaining his spot in the leadership group I have two words, and the 2nd one is ME!

When was the last time a Port Adelaide captain kept the role right up to the end of their career?
Jonas will be, at a minimum, 32 years and 8 months old when we play our last game with him as captain. Boak gave up the job just after his 30th birthday and he was twice the player and captain that Jonas was.

GIF by SkySlope

Leadership groups don’t have to be your best players. All are in the best 22 though.

I would’ve made wines captain and brought in some young blood such as rozee and butters to the leadership group though.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Leadership groups don’t have to be your best players. All are in the best 22 though.

I would’ve made wines captain and brought in some young blood such as rozee and butters to the leadership group though.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Leaders should be measured on the outcomes they create with the tools at their disposal.
Anecdotally Jonas and Byrne Jones haven’t been able to deliver as leaders.

Being a vice captain didn't save Hartlett, a much better player than DBJ, from being demoted to the SANFL side. Hopefully they will do the same to DBJ when his form fails to justify his place. However, its a pity that he gets to prevent a guy like Burgoyne or Jones from playing regularly from the beginning of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jonas finished a generous 15th in the BnF. Jonas also is a deadset shithouse verbal communicator. Deer in the headlights in the media. Personality free zone. 32 y.o.

The mind boggles.

This is embarrassing. As much a blight on the playing list as it is on thr Club's desire for stability.

Jonas is 32 and clearly on the downside of his career. He will be lucky to get another contract at this rate. DBJ is not a best 22 player but gets a gold pass from Ken. How does he typify leader? I've never seen a more meh "leader" than DBJ. He's literally the antithesis of a leader and it's a joke he's in the leadership group.

As for Ollie, I don't think much of him as a leader either. I could understand him getting the captaincy by default, but I don't think he should be considered a slam dunk for the role.

Leaders to me set the tone for the week in training and keep standards high. They also need to be able to relate to the players and connect with them to get internal squad buy in. But above all else they need to lift on game day when the going gets tough. Who do we currently have in the squad who ticks that box? Burton, Houston and Butters are the first whom come to mind, maybe Boak and SPP as well. Now personality wise a few of those aren't captain material, but my gosh the amount of downhill skiers on this team personifies Hinkley's it's a tough competition and we're just happy to be here mentality.

I would have supported a shake up to the leadership group irrespective of Ken likely leaving at the end of the year. After all, Ken needs to be changing things to expect the team to climb up the ladder this year. But not changing the leadership group after the debacle of last year in particular just reeks of faux stability.

Fine with this.

Let them run through this season and see who steps up for 2024 under Carr.

Would have been good to see a better third to be fair. DBJ should be working his way in to the side via the SNAFL if he is up to it.
I feel a bit the same.

2023 is a holding pattern anyway thanks to the idiots in charge.

Just let it ride and leave the 2024 coach free to swt up his own leadership team without expectations from 2023 elevated leaders.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can't see why all the hate for Jonas and DBJ, especially the latter.

I agree Tom is at the very end of his football journey, but that is the only reason to appoint someone else. He is only just best-22, may not play all year and makes it hard for eg Pasini to get a chance. 2021 should have been his last year as captain.

DBJ, I think many of you underrate his effect on the game! Many comments are way over the top IMHO. But that is not to say he should be a VC. I also can't quite see it - maybe he is an excellent organiser?

I'm impressed by Ollie Wines. I see him as confident, mature, approachable and well-spoken, able to up his effect on the game when needed, and real captain material.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back