News 2023 Leadership Group Announced

Remove this Banner Ad

We have a Leadership group that reminds me of a Russian bunch called the Lakov's.

Well, 2 out of 3. Ollie may be a good fit, but getting to old to be anything more than a couple of years fill-in before a successor rises from the ranks from within the playing group.

Skippers to start around 26/27 and hand it over by around 31 (5 or 6 years in the driving seat max.).

The worrying thing is that there isn't an obvious group behind that lot that are banging the door down. Fair enough, it's too early for Butters and Rozee, but Burton, Houston, Drew and maybe even Todd Marshall should be in consideration.
I think this is exactly where we are at.
Clearly Burton and Houston are not showing any leadership qualities.
If they did at least one of them would have been added even if it took us to a 4 man group.
My take is the current group stays for 2023 and with another year Rozee and Butters and even Marshall and Duursma become the next group under Ollie.
I don’t see any leadership in Burton at all. I actually think he is a cruiser, he has as much talent as anyone in our team but seems to be very satisfied not challenging himself to be the best he can be.
For all their faults you certainly cannot say that about the current leadership group.
All of them have made something of the attributes they have.

What’s this boards obsession with putting fringe players as potential leadership positions? Drew could be in the sanfl for most of the year.
I think that is why they stuck with DBJ - Wines will never be the Captain and the Club is waiting for an emerging leader form the next group.

The wild, wild card is Sinn; he has been the Captain where ever he has played. A future Captain tag is a curse for any young player.
Jonas if fine for this year, new mantel when we get a new Coach

The worrying thing is that there isn't an obvious group behind that lot that are banging the door down. Fair enough, it's too early for Butters and Rozee, but Burton, Houston, Drew and maybe even Todd Marshall should be in consideration.

Todd Marshall a PAFC leader. That would send me into the abyss.

I am not too worried about 2023 as it is the status quo. Hopefully in 2024 the key roles leadership roles are recast starting with the Senoir Coach.
I am nit convinced about 2024 until Ken is marched out of the club. Koch is likely to extend his contract mid season.

From an outsiders POV I think Houston would be a good choice as captain. Seems like a decent level headed guy when I’ve seen him interviewed and is one of your most consistent players IMO.
He was involved in a Covid breach back in 2020 which resulted in him being black listed from the leadership group.

I think this is exactly where we are at.
Clearly Burton and Houston are not showing any leadership qualities.
If they did at least one of them would have been added even if it took us to a 4 man group.
My take is the current group stays for 2023 and with another year Rozee and Butters and even Marshall and Duursma become the next group under Ollie.
I don’t see any leadership in Burton at all. I actually think he is a cruiser, he has as much talent as anyone in our team but seems to be very satisfied not challenging himself to be the best he can be.
For all their faults you certainly cannot say that about the current leadership group.
All of them have made something of the attributes they have.
I don’t see it either. Or Houston. Burton is well liked by some here but imo too he’s a cruiser.

a ‘leader’ in DBJ who shits himself multiple times during games. Lacks anywhere near the upside that the young brigade in Burgoyne, Sinn, Farrell or Jones posses.

I would have gone with

Ollie Wines - Captain
Dan Houston - Vice Captain

And controversially, the one player that I have seen routinely lift us on field, fly the flag and rally the team around him.

Charlie Dixon - Deputy Vice Captain

Maybe add a youngster to the group to give them some development

I would have gone with

Ollie Wines - Captain

And controversially, the one player that I have seen routinely lift us on field, fly the flag and rally the team around him.

Having heard Charlie Dixon on the Rock and Raz podcast, I wouldn't want him anywhere near a leadership role and I barely want him on the list at all. '0-5 isn't that bad, I went 0-15 at the Gold Coast.' Couple that with his comments attacking the supporter base for having the gall to expect the team to win a few games or to make some changes if they're not winning.

Massive loser mentality born from trading him in from a loser club and then saddling him with a loser coach. I'd make Horne-Francis captain before I'd make Dixon captain. I'd rather a guy who gets frustrated (even overly so) by losing than a guy who meekly accepts it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having heard Charlie Dixon on the Rock and Raz podcast, I wouldn't want him anywhere near a leadership role and I barely want him on the list at all. '0-5 isn't that bad'.

Massive loser mentality born from trading him in from a loser club and then saddling him with a loser coach. I'd make Horne-Francis captain before I'd make Dixon captain. I'd rather a guy who gets frustrated (even overly so) by losing than a guy who meekly accepts it.
You listened to Rock and Raz 😦

But fair call, I don't know much about the guy. Based on what I see on the field players do rally around him, has a physical presence about him

Perhaps an indictment on the club that were scraping the bottom of the barrel

I would have gone with

Ollie Wines - Captain

The problem I have with Dixon is his fitness. Charlie is a cult figure and he would rally players and supporters alike but he is 32 and not likely to be a long term proposition.

I would have gone with

Ollie Wines - Captain

Yes, Dixon or SPP!

Had to be Wines far out unless he doesn't want it.
It did prick my ears when he said he was struggling with being the reigning Brownlow medalist.
As for Jonas he lost me a long time ago.
When asked about the holding the ball that cost us the 2014 preliminary final he said he hadn't even watched it back and won't be .
Abit like kens 2021 preliminary nothing to see here .

Dixon often can't even lift both hands above head height in a marking contest because he's too busy wrassling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back