2023 McClelland Trophy (Countdown to the Million-Dollar Match)

Remove this Banner Ad

And you missed my point. The criteria for determining the McClelland trophy is trash, in my opinion, for the reasons I stated above. Melbourne probably would win it regardless, I couldn't care less, but the system itself isn't good.
Yeah we get it, you're complaining about nothing. Right team won, move on.

You're completely wrong about the finals series too. Money doesn't hurt, but the specific reason why we need it because every team does not play all others exactly once/twice (like they do in the EPL).
I guess that's why there were no finals from 1973 to 1986, when it was a 12-team league with a 22-round season.

Does it bother you somehow that I'm discussing various inconsistenties with the criteria for adjudicating the McClelland Trophy on a thread specifically about the McClelland Trophy?
Save your complaints about fixturing for another thread, please and thank you.

Happy to hear different ideas for deciding the winner of a single annual award for the best performed club across the men's and women's AFL competitions as they are (i.e. not built around perfect H&A seasons).

Save your complaints about fixturing for another thread, please and thank you.

Happy to hear different ideas for deciding the winner of a single annual award for the best performed club across the men's and women's AFL competitions as they are (i.e. not built around perfect H&A seasons).
Lol are you being deliberately daft? I'm not complaining about fixturing, my comment is about the way the McClelland Trophy is determined, of which the fixturing plays a major part. I'm not sure exactly how it could be done better but the current system has a number of significant limitations.

Lol are you being deliberately daft? I'm not complaining about fixturing, my comment is about the way the McClelland Trophy is determined, of which the fixturing plays a major part. I'm not sure exactly how it could be done better but the current system has a number of significant limitations.
Tell us how you'd decide the best performing team across the two competitions, where the men's teams play 23 (soon to be 24) H&A games and the women's teams play 10 (soon to be 12) H&A games.

Tell us how you'd decide the best performing team across the two competitions, where the men's teams play 23 (soon to be 24) H&A games and the women's teams play 10 (soon to be 12) H&A games.
Dunno, as I said. Don't think there really is a perfect way, so I'd be in favour of scrapping the cash element of the award entirely.

Dunno, as I said. Don't think there really is a perfect way, so I'd be in favour of scrapping the cash element of the award entirely.
Or we could just use the system that, while not perfect, is still most likely to reward the most deserving team.

The current system is 2/2 on that front, given Melbourne would have also won it last season, had it been in effect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Final standings for the year 2023:

Rank​
ClubWon (men)Lost (men)Drawn (men)Won (women)Lost (women)Drawn (women)Points (combined)% (combined)
1​
Melbourne1670820128139.9
2​
Brisbane Lions1760730124127.3
3​
Adelaide Crows11120910116127.4
4​
Collingwood1850550112118.6
5​
St Kilda13100640100106.7
6​
Sydney Swans1210164098109.5
7​
Essendon111206409292.2
8​
Geelong Cats1012164090116.8
9​
Port Adelaide176027188104.5
10​
Gold Coast Suns91406318895.7
11​
Carlton139146086107.8
12​
Richmond101215508294.8
13​
Fremantle101304607292.3
14​
GWS Giants131002806894.1
15​
North Melbourne32007306884.4
16​
Western Bulldogs121101905694.8
17​
Hawthorn71603705277.9
18​
West Coast Eagles32002802852.7

It'll be funny if Lions women win the aflw flag. The Lions teams could be runners up and premiers but not be the 'greatest club', behind a team that ended up 5th and say 2nd.

Yes I'm aware it's an award for h&a only.....it shouldn't be. The great clubs get it done in finals, where it counts. Silly award.

So lions teams finished 2nd/4th after home and away and 2nd/2nd at worst after finals, Dees finished 4th/2nd home and away, 5th/5th after finals and take home the trophy.

The award needs tweaking...
Excellent bump. But I'm not sure why people suddenly have a problem with the McClelland Trophy being an award purely based on H&A performance.

Is it the prizemoney attached to it now? If we're saying prizemoney should be awarded for performance in finals, well, that already happens.

It'll be funny if Lions women win the aflw flag. The Lions teams could be runners up and premiers but not be the 'greatest club', behind a team that ended up 5th and say 2nd.

Yes I'm aware it's an award for h&a only.....it shouldn't be. The great clubs get it done in finals, where it counts. Silly award.
Agree.

If it's the award for the 'Champion Club' of the season - make it simple and award it to the club with the highest combined finishes after finals.

2nd plus 2nd (at worst) for Brisbane after finals is a great effort.

In the event of a tie, award it on count back to the club with the better finish in the men's competition for two reasons:
1. Men play more games.
2. The lol's.

Ahh the trophy you serve a cheese platter on. Not exactly a prized trophy and we have a few.
It's had a bit of a makeover.

Dees also off to flyer for 2024 with projected wins for the men and the women. What a champion club they are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back