Meet Up 2023 Meet Up thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Good evening folks,

And a week out from the start of our season this seems as good time as any to kick off this thread - welcome to another year which also another chance to get together for a beer before a game and talk nonsense in person to break up doing it online all the time

We did kick this thread off last year but then it fell off the radar - maybe partily due to a level of uncertainity around how things would work as we got back to a level of normality after a couple of crazy years, and yeah we were still joking at the start about them being Zoom catch-ups 👨‍💻🍻

But in 2023 we’ll put this back out there for those interested in catching up before the match for lunch/dinner/drink, or maybe even a post match drink to celebrate a win or blame Scott for a loss…

In years gone by these gathering could be just a few of us, to times with a dozen plus, and was always a great opporunity to put a face to the name & talk s**t in person - choice of venues is always open with some past favourites being Hophaus, Duke of Wellington and Young and Jackon when in Melbourne, while St Lords beer garden was a popular spot for KP home matches

Bring on Season 2023 and here’s an open invite to all who which to catch up at some stage during the season

St Lords?

At some stage after our last home match in 2019, 'Lord of the Isles' was sold to new owners (is now under the Black Rhino Group), it under went pretty big renovations and as part of it was a name change - now known as St Lords

I will be making the trip over for Round 8, Geelong vs. Adelaide. The Crom supporting better half will be with me. Hopefully there'll be a few who'll want to catch up afterwards at LOTI.

At some stage after our last home match in 2019, 'Lord of the Isles' was sold to new owners (is now under the Black Rhino Group), it under went pretty big renovations and as part of it was a name change - now known as St Lords
Really? I went there last year on the Sunday after the Grand Final. I don't remember the place looking different or being called a different name. 🤔

Part of Bruce Mathieson's Pokies Empire, technically owned by his daughter and her husband as a way of getting around the legal limits on the number of pokies controlled by one organisation.

Really? I went there last year on the Sunday after the Grand Final. I don't remember the place looking different or being called a different name. 🤔

I haven't been to the beer garden since the rename, but in early 2020 caught up with Shell and that's where we went as they used to be open all day for food & drink. They had already changed their hours by that stage, beer garden wasn't open nor was the dinning room - only the pokies

They let us grab a beer but the place felt different - I haven't been back since

The only thing they haven't changed the name of is their FB page - maybe they don't know how to or they don't want to lose followers if they create a new page. The booths in the dining room are new, and I think the name change is stupid

1678489305029.png

Part of Bruce Mathieson's Pokies Empire, technically owned by his daughter and her husband as a way of getting around the legal limits on the number of pokies controlled by one organisation.

Obviously the old Lord of the Isles had the pokies section, but the bistro was all day dining until late, plus deals in the beer garden during the week etc - it was a good place to grab a meal at 3pm/4pm when other places were closed or later in the night like 8:30pm/9pm when basically all other restaurants in Geelong have closed their kitchens

This is the new St Lord's opening hours versus their dining hours - it's not hard to tell where their focus is

VENUE HOURS
MON-SAT
8AM-4AM
SUN 9AM-4AM
BISTRO HOURS
11.30AM-2.30PM & 5.30PM-8.30PM

I intend to get to a few games this year (health permitting).
I have Easter Monday booked with the bro for the traditional Easter Monday, Geelong V Hawthorn clash.

For those interested

March To The 'G​

Join Joel Selwood, Steve Hocking and the 2022 Premiership Flag in our March to the 'G from Federation Square at 5.30pm for a 6pm start

I will be making the trip over for Round 8, Geelong vs. Adelaide. The Crom supporting better half will be with me. Hopefully there'll be a few who'll want to catch up afterwards at LOTI.
I’m hoping to go to that game too. Is the Rabbi coming?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't been to the beer garden since the rename, but in early 2020 caught up with Shell and that's where we went as they used to be open all day for food & drink. They had already changed their hours by that stage, beer garden wasn't open nor was the dinning room - only the pokies

They let us grab a beer but the place felt different - I haven't been back since

The only thing they haven't changed the name of is their FB page - maybe they don't know how to or they don't want to lose followers if they create a new page. The booths in the dining room are new, and I think the name change is stupid

View attachment 1626195
I utterly despise pokies! Delighted Geelong booted pokies. Making money from misfortune is contemptible!

View attachment 1626195
I was in and out of the beer garden and that's about it. I didn't a notice a difference, but hey, we'll just chalk that down to being a male with terrible attention to detail. 🤷‍♂️

I was in and out of the beer garden and that's about it. I didn't a notice a difference, but hey, we'll just chalk that down to being a male with terrible attention to detail. 🤷‍♂️

As long as the beer garden still has the large screen TV and a good selection of beer, then surely that's the most important thing for a beer garden

You'd better get to the game, Kitty! My Crom supporting better half is keen to wax lyrical about exotic feline breeds over a few wines.
Does Crom have a special meaning?
Will check if Play it Sam is going?

We will meet at old LOTI for lots of Exotic + Burmese pussycats 😻😻😻

Is there still a Stella Artois bar in Reg Hickey Stand? Old Peroni Bar.

Does Crom have a special meaning?
Will check if Play it Sam is going?

We will meet at old LOTI for lots of Exotic + Burmese pussycats 😻😻😻

Is there still a Stella Artois bar in Reg Hickey Stand? Old Peroni Bar.
Crom was an angry Crows' supporter's misspelling of Crow during a social media rant a number of years back which became an overnight meme, and later, a not-for-profit line of apparel.

Whilst it started out as a term of derision used by (initially) 🍐 supporters, it's now become a self-deprecating, if not endearing epithet, used by Adelaide supporters to describe their club.

However, I digress...

Let me know where you plan to sit. If there's some special, fandangled area we can congregate, I'll try to organise two tickets for the lovely and I.

Crom was an angry Crows' supporter's misspelling of Crow during a social media rant a number of years back which became an overnight meme, and later, a not-for-profit line of apparel.

Whilst it started out as a term of derision used by (initially) 🍐 supporters, it's now become a self-deprecating, if not endearing epithet, used by Adelaide supporters to describe their club.

However, I digress...

Let me know where you plan to sit. If there's some special, fandangled area we can congregate, I'll try to organise two tickets for the lovely and I.
That’s an interesting story 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
I’ll speak to Play it Sam + The rabbi would be fun to sit together.

It would be good to catch up for a beer, mate. I'm a lock for the Crows game. I hope to see you there.

We will see what happens.
Last winter drove me nuts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back