2023 Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Might as well start this thread now.

What prompted me to think about it was going to renew my membership online today and finding that the club (or ticketmaster) had already processed my payment, even without my authorisation. I certainly can't remember signing up for auto-renewal so I was somewhat bemused to see they have somehow sneakily put me in that category.

This is just plain wrong and bad corporate behaviour. If it was a for-profit organisation I'd kick up a stink (maybe get Peter Gordon to start a class action ;)) but it's just counterproductive to support the club and expect it to keep costs down and then demand special attention ... so I'll let the principle go on this occasion.

I'll probably switch myself back to non-auto and wait to see what happens next year.

So, on with 2023. I'm approaching 30 consecutive years ... which is probably nothing compared to some of the posters here.

Anything less than 50,000 members will be a poor show. That's notwithstanding the fact that like the Rising Star or Goal of the Year the numbers of members and final results are pretty meaningless. The only number that counts is gross or net revenue from memberships. While that can probably be derived from the Annual Financial Report there's very little available in the way of comparative analysis of clubs. I think somebody posted a link to some meaningful comparisons once but I can't recall where. It's probably even harder to figure out now because we have a new category (AFLW membership) and I doubt they will report the membership revenues for men's and women's sides separately.

Anyway, sign up. Go Dogs!

I wish they would have waited until my pension gets deposited next week. I guess I'll have to share Zsa Zsa's food this week. :p

Might as well start this thread now.

What prompted me to think about it was going to renew my membership online today and finding that the club (or ticketmaster) had already processed my payment, even without my authorisation. I certainly can't remember signing up for auto-renewal so I was somewhat bemused to see they have somehow sneakily put me in that category.

This is just plain wrong and bad corporate behaviour. If it was a for-profit organisation I'd kick up a stink (maybe get Peter Gordon to start a class action ;)) but it's just counterproductive to support the club and expect it to keep costs down and then demand special attention ... so I'll let the principle go on this occasion.

I'll probably switch myself back to non-auto and wait to see what happens next year.

So, on with 2023. I'm approaching 30 consecutive years ... which is probably nothing compared to some of the posters here.

Anything less than 50,000 members will be a poor show. That's notwithstanding the fact that like the Rising Star or Goal of the Year the numbers of members and final results are pretty meaningless. The only number that counts is gross or net revenue from memberships. While that can probably be derived from the Annual Financial Report there's very little available in the way of comparative analysis of clubs. I think somebody posted a link to some meaningful comparisons once but I can't recall where. It's probably even harder to figure out now because we have a new category (AFLW membership) and I doubt they will report the membership revenues for men's and women's sides separately.

Anyway, sign up. Go Dogs!

I have been a member since 1961. A few years ago the same thing happen to me even though I choose to renew by membership manually each year. I rang them and requested to be taken off auto for future years. Whilst on memberships does anyone know if they are bringing back the get together for social club members which is a bit of a 2023 launch pre christmas where they introduce the new players and talk about the coming season.

Early this year I posted my displeasure at the deal offered in March this year in a membership day on SEN. My basic gripe was that the deal for SEN listeners was better than the deal I got by having automatic renewal of many years standing. I felt members were being taken for granted. In the heat of the moment I may have threatened not to renew my membership this year. It turned out to be a hollow threat as my membership renewal has gone through. But I just wanted to let the club know that I am not to be trifled with. One day, recent performance notwithstanding, I will, probably, possibly, perhaps follow through on my threat. You have been warned.

We do the auto renewal each year, but I pay for my sons membership as he is a student, as a one off transaction. This week they took it out even though I am not in auto renewal for him, and he is now living interstate and working, so not sure he wants it and if he does he can now afford to pay for it. Not happy about this.

I assume this is a league-wide bad practice. I bought a 3-game membership for another team as a Christmas gift for someone last year, and lo and behold my credit card was charged again a few weeks ago. Those working at the club in question were more than willing to reverse the charge when I explained the situation to them, but it's just bad form in general.

+1 for not ever signing up for auto-renewal but they took out my entire payment in one hit, over $500. Very much not happy with this tactic, was going to renew anyway but the fact they did it like this has really pissed me off.

Edit: worst part is I got no notification or nothing that it was happening, I checked the account I paid it out of and noticed it. The fact they also did it on a Friday afternoon and they weren't open to talk about it till the next Monday was also really, really annoying.

Same deal here. Emailed them at the start of the week. No reply what so ever. Pretty p1ssed especially since I have a family and junior membership and didn't get a single scarf last year.

Which is something else I'd like to whinge about since I'm already wringing.

I hate that they or anyone is flexible with family memberships. Many families are more than 4. They should have an option to have bigger families under 1 membership. So annoying having to get the extra junior membership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early this year I posted my displeasure at the deal offered in March this year in a membership day on SEN. My basic gripe was that the deal for SEN listeners was better than the deal I got by having automatic renewal of many years standing. I felt members were being taken for granted. In the heat of the moment I may have threatened not to renew my membership this year. It turned out to be a hollow threat as my membership renewal has gone through. But I just wanted to let the club know that I am not to be trifled with. One day, recent performance notwithstanding, I will, probably, possibly, perhaps follow through on my threat. You have been warned.

I mentioned this in the Club survey

Whoever made that balls up needs to he moved on. Sackable offence in the private sector

I found an email buried in my inbox after my first payment went through this year. I'm signed up for auto, which is fine but I think it would be good if the club sent out one of those general SMS messages as well as the email saying that the first payment will be coming out about 2 weeks prior.

I've moved interstate and have been trying to update my address and email details online and had no luck, it kept resetting back to the old address. I called them and was able to adjust my membership to an interstate version and they adjusted the payment structure. The guy I spoke to was very helpful

I'm signed up for auto, which is fine but I think it would be good if the club sent out one of those general SMS messages as well as the email saying that the first payment will be coming out about 2 weeks prior.
Yes freo sent a reminder out a week before.

Not sure if anyone can advise, but in a time of displeasure, I cancelled the auto renew on my membership (don’t recall ever setting it up, but meh).

However I have not received any membership renewal info at all to date, which seems a bit odd. Can Anyone advise if they have that is not on auto renew?

Not sure why it’s alway so hard….

Every year they automatically take money out and every year I make them refund me and take me off the list. They clearly never do.

Im okay financially now so I’ll let it slide but yeah I don’t like this behaviour it’s very dirty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back