Training 2023 Mens Preseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

BB report Credit Ian Curtis...

I ventured out to Tulla today and enjoyed the grasslands on the non-hangar side whilst watching about 90 mins of training. I will sign any member petition to have seating installed on this side of the ground, a ridiculous oversight by the club. Enough of that.
Just to add a couple of observations to the terrific reports already:
  • Massimo was a real standout for me today. His kicking is such a weapon and gee he’s in good condition. In a half field drill where the boys were split in two teams, he carved up from half back opening up play multiple times with precise bullet passes that reach their targets so quickly. He then showed his rising fitness levels by following up and sprinting to be another option. I think we have a real player here. He did get nailed by 2.03m at one stage trying to evade him which was entertaining.
  • Redman is rising as a real captaincy option for me. He is clearly one to raise standards and call out teammates if something isn’t done properly, which he did during a goal kicking drill where his group had missed 11/12 shots from a 60 degree angle (more on that later). He stood out to me because I didn’t really notice it from Zach and Andy who would naturally be the next likely skipper options I guess.
  • Alwyn Davey showed a glimpse of something really special. They were doing a drill in a group of about 8 or 9 players on the forward flank where there would be a contested ball 4 on 2 then delivering to a target inside 50. Davey gathered the ball, faked left then right, pulled off a don’t argue and just glided through a gap and hit the target with the outside of his boot. Hepp got over to him and was pumped. Again it was just a glimpse, but gee I was impressed.
  • Munkara was just doing goalkicking as others have mentioned, and I totally agree with everything said. He has this pure fluency when he kicks that is just so natural. He is going to be such an interesting watch for all of us as he continues to build fitness.
  • Caldwell really does look in exceptional condition. He is on restricted training but has added a little bit of size and just looks super fit. Excited to see what he produces when he integrates into full training.
  • Zerk has been the pick of the defenders for me so far. Positioning is good in the contest and he is more assured with ball in hand, a criticism i’ve had of him previously. Also has that Rance like desperation to impact a contest when you think he is no chance to get there and just gets a late bump or fist in.
  • Perkins looks like an AFL player now. In great condition and has put on some size as well. I’m pretty bullish on him being our breakout player if he is given enough midfield opportunity, kind of like Parish did.
  • Overall it was good to see a lift in the running program. Hope they continue to flog the players to the brink in this regard. That was a damning outcome from the external review and we have to play a lot of catch up to match the best sides. Some good shuttle runs and interval type running today which is good to see. I’m on Sean Murphy watch as I was surprised to see him retained after the review.
  • Tackling was good today and a few players were nailed trying to evade in the half field drill mentioned earlier. I hope Scott instils some mongrel into this team and tackling for me has to improve from this year, so it’s good to see what I think is some progress.
In terms of things I thought could do with some improvement:
  • Goalkicking as noted earlier was pretty ordinary from where I was standing today. Whilst it is great to see them actually doing goalkicking, I reckon I saw 4/30 players kick the goal from the flank where I was right behind. Leigh Tudor came across at one stage and gave some advice on being square with the shoulders when kicking, but then each player would just spray them and didn’t really care. I guess I’m probably expecting too much, but it would be great to see a coach come over and chat with the group immediately and then send out the players to tweak their technique or routine to deliver a better outcome. An example is the players swinging the ball from side to side as they approach and then running out to the side instead of straight at the goal. Every time I saw a player doing this they missed. I know it happens a lot and i’m no coach, but goalkicking accuracy is a real bugbear of mine and annoys the ■■■■ out of me tbh so I’d like to see this done with real purpose at training. Voss was probably the worst at goalkicking today which doesn’t bode too well if we plan to play him as a forward. Didn’t watch much VFL last year so don’t know if it was an issue at all with him.
  • I think more broadly it’s noticeable that this team is very young, which they are, and to me needs strong leadership. I noted last week about wanting to see more of a steely resolve and this remains a key improvement i’d like to see develop over pre-season. Good to see Redman stand out for wanting to raise standards but i’d like to see more of this across the group. I want to feel like i’m witnessing a team with a point to prove next year and leave the jokes and shithousery for the locker room. We need strong leaders to emerge to build strong standards that will be so important to instil good habits into young players that hopefully leads to sustained success.
Overall I thought it was a good session with plenty of positives to take out. Looking forward to coming back in the new year to see what progress they have made with Scott having had his feet under the desk a little longer. The match sim training will be an interesting watch for sure.

BB report Credit Ian Curtis...

I ventured out to Tulla today and enjoyed the grasslands on the non-hangar side whilst watching about 90 mins of training. I will sign any member petition to have seating installed on this side of the ground, a ridiculous oversight by the club. Enough of that.
Just to add a couple of observations to the terrific reports already:
  • Massimo was a real standout for me today. His kicking is such a weapon and gee he’s in good condition. In a half field drill where the boys were split in two teams, he carved up from half back opening up play multiple times with precise bullet passes that reach their targets so quickly. He then showed his rising fitness levels by following up and sprinting to be another option. I think we have a real player here. He did get nailed by 2.03m at one stage trying to evade him which was entertaining.
  • Redman is rising as a real captaincy option for me. He is clearly one to raise standards and call out teammates if something isn’t done properly, which he did during a goal kicking drill where his group had missed 11/12 shots from a 60 degree angle (more on that later). He stood out to me because I didn’t really notice it from Zach and Andy who would naturally be the next likely skipper options I guess.
  • Alwyn Davey showed a glimpse of something really special. They were doing a drill in a group of about 8 or 9 players on the forward flank where there would be a contested ball 4 on 2 then delivering to a target inside 50. Davey gathered the ball, faked left then right, pulled off a don’t argue and just glided through a gap and hit the target with the outside of his boot. Hepp got over to him and was pumped. Again it was just a glimpse, but gee I was impressed.
  • Munkara was just doing goalkicking as others have mentioned, and I totally agree with everything said. He has this pure fluency when he kicks that is just so natural. He is going to be such an interesting watch for all of us as he continues to build fitness.
  • Caldwell really does look in exceptional condition. He is on restricted training but has added a little bit of size and just looks super fit. Excited to see what he produces when he integrates into full training.
  • Zerk has been the pick of the defenders for me so far. Positioning is good in the contest and he is more assured with ball in hand, a criticism i’ve had of him previously. Also has that Rance like desperation to impact a contest when you think he is no chance to get there and just gets a late bump or fist in.
  • Perkins looks like an AFL player now. In great condition and has put on some size as well. I’m pretty bullish on him being our breakout player if he is given enough midfield opportunity, kind of like Parish did.
  • Overall it was good to see a lift in the running program. Hope they continue to flog the players to the brink in this regard. That was a damning outcome from the external review and we have to play a lot of catch up to match the best sides. Some good shuttle runs and interval type running today which is good to see. I’m on Sean Murphy watch as I was surprised to see him retained after the review.
  • Tackling was good today and a few players were nailed trying to evade in the half field drill mentioned earlier. I hope Scott instils some mongrel into this team and tackling for me has to improve from this year, so it’s good to see what I think is some progress.
In terms of things I thought could do with some improvement:
  • Goalkicking as noted earlier was pretty ordinary from where I was standing today. Whilst it is great to see them actually doing goalkicking, I reckon I saw 4/30 players kick the goal from the flank where I was right behind. Leigh Tudor came across at one stage and gave some advice on being square with the shoulders when kicking, but then each player would just spray them and didn’t really care. I guess I’m probably expecting too much, but it would be great to see a coach come over and chat with the group immediately and then send out the players to tweak their technique or routine to deliver a better outcome. An example is the players swinging the ball from side to side as they approach and then running out to the side instead of straight at the goal. Every time I saw a player doing this they missed. I know it happens a lot and i’m no coach, but goalkicking accuracy is a real bugbear of mine and annoys the ■■■■ out of me tbh so I’d like to see this done with real purpose at training. Voss was probably the worst at goalkicking today which doesn’t bode too well if we plan to play him as a forward. Didn’t watch much VFL last year so don’t know if it was an issue at all with him.
  • I think more broadly it’s noticeable that this team is very young, which they are, and to me needs strong leadership. I noted last week about wanting to see more of a steely resolve and this remains a key improvement i’d like to see develop over pre-season. Good to see Redman stand out for wanting to raise standards but i’d like to see more of this across the group. I want to feel like i’m witnessing a team with a point to prove next year and leave the jokes and shithousery for the locker room. We need strong leaders to emerge to build strong standards that will be so important to instil good habits into young players that hopefully leads to sustained success.
Overall I thought it was a good session with plenty of positives to take out. Looking forward to coming back in the new year to see what progress they have made with Scott having had his feet under the desk a little longer. The match sim training will be an interesting watch for sure.

Good to read the obs on Redman, would love to see him as our next captain.

Does anyone have an idea of where to find a training schedule? I would like to head down and watch a session but I cannot seem to find anything describing what days/times it's on ...

Not really surprising as I'm sure the club don't actually want fans there unless they are handing over some cash at the bombershop.

Do not just take my word for it. Most draft profiles had him at above average. If we wanted elite we needed to draft Hollands. His endurance running was on a par with Wardlaw and Phillipou when you look at most draft porfiles.
Phillipou ran low-mid 6s for 2km though

Phillipou ran low-mid 6s for 2km though
2km is not really a super accurate endurance test. It is a good test do not get me wrong but it is a distance that is a bit in between. As a junior at athletics my cousin could beat me in the 1500 by 300 meters. In the 5000 I could beat him by over a lap. I actually like hat Melbourne did with their repeat 1km tests. Gives you more of an idea of your endurance athletes.

2km is not really a super accurate endurance test. It is a good test do not get me wrong but it is a distance that is a bit in between. As a junior at athletics my cousin could beat me in the 1500 by 300 meters. In the 5000 I could beat him by over a lap. I actually like hat Melbourne did with their repeat 1km tests. Gives you more of an idea of your endurance athletes.
your cousin sounds like a pussy

your cousin sounds like a pussy
A fast one.

cat-run.gif

the Dees fitness staff have a nice focus on breaking through mental fitness barriers.
Something not lost on me with the lack of defensive running we do. how much of it is willingness to defend, and how much is self preservation/motivation.

Burgess seems to have that effect wherever he goes.
the Crows are going great guns with the competitive running & pushing through 4 quarters of effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

093A2831.jpg

What the hell is going on here, they are supposed to be training, and they are all looking at their watches ready to clock off. :moustache::moustache:

All except the poor bugger at the front who obviously can't afford a watch.
Probably the TT

Does anyone have an idea of where to find a training schedule? I would like to head down and watch a session but I cannot seem to find anything describing what days/times it's on ...

Not really surprising as I'm sure the club don't actually want fans there unless they are handing over some cash at the bombershop.
Open training 3pm Wednesday

I have no idea but looking at footage I wouldn't be surprised if Munkara's trajectory to an AFL player is quicker than anticipated.

Looks to be as pure football talent as I can remember anyone.
Just needs his fitness trajectory to be like Liam Ryan and Willie Rioli at the eagles

Basically had none before getting into the eagles system. Ryan especially has physical traits to cover the ground with a very large stride...similar to Munkara

What i feel ive seen from photos that i like, is that he hasnt lost his confidence walking into the club

Would love to see him start as the deepest forward in the VFL out of the goalsquare, but still get up the ground and hopefully beat his opponent on the way back

Remove this Banner Ad

Back