15 – Sydney - Jack Buller

Watch here from 7pm -

LIVE FROM 7PM AEST: Watch the 2023 AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft

Last edited:

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I said I'd do a phantom draft, I will almost certainly get one or two at most right but here goes:

1. West Coast: Jaiden Hunter
2. North Melbourne: Ryan Maric
3. Hawthorn: Ethan Stanley
4. Richmond: Luke Teal
5. Greater Western Sydney: Jack Buller
6. Sydney: Oscar McDonald
7. Geelong: Sam Naismith
8. Fremantle: Robert Hansen jr
9. Essendon: Rye Penny
10. Western Bulldogs: Mutaz El Nour
11. Port Adelaide: Lochie Burrows
12. West Coast: James Tresize
13. Hawthorn: pass
14. Richmond: pass
15. Greater Western Sydney: pass
16. Sydney: Noah Casalini
17. Essendon: Ethan Phillips
18. Sydney: pass

I think that Richmond would have been hoping that Mutaz or Tresize slipped to their second
We'll use both picks. I think Teal goes undrafted, plus I doubt we'd pass up on Buller. Tresize will go early IMO.

Surely he gets a spot somewhere? 206cm/110kg

NM could do with him
NM, who have Goldy and CJJ currently playing and Xerri due to return from injury?

Can't see it myself. I suspect they seek a Comben replacement

Top mid-season pick to have trickle-down effect​

There is still mystery around West Coast’s intentions with pick one in tonight’s mid-season rookie draft.
North Melbourne would almost certainly swoop at No. 2 on Gippsland Power and Box Hill forward Ryan Maric – the favourite to go first – if the Eagles go local instead with Claremont forward-ruck Jack Buller, or possibly Subiaco goalsneak Robert Hansen jnr.
The Roos may pivot to Hansen jnr or medium-sized defender James Trezise, who is having a breakout season for Richmond’s VFL side.
West Coast drafted Maric’s former Power teammate Coby Burgiel last year.
It would be a shock if Maric made it past Hawthorn, who are considering grabbing another Box Hill player, winger Ethan Stanley, with pick three. Eastern Ranges ruckman Tucker is another option for the Hawks.

The Western Bulldogs, Geelong, Fremantle and Port Adelaide have also kept tabs on Stanley. The Power are keeping an eye on Mitchito Owens’ older brother, Kai, too, a 193-centimetre midfielder playing for Frankston.
If Tucker makes it past Hawthorn, he is set to be a Tiger or Giant. Richmond, who will pick before Greater Western Sydney, are also considering Trezise and 196-centimetre Perth forward Jaiden Hunter. The Tigers could make a second selection, too.
Hunter started the WAFL season in the reserves, but has not stopped kicking goals, including a bag of five at the weekend to round out his AFL audition, with Essendon another potential landing spot.
One of the Bombers or Western Bulldogs may also hand a lifeline to ex-Melbourne defender Marty Hore, who has taken 23 intercept marks in his past three matches for Williamstown in the VFL.
The Swans are set to make two picks, one of which is set to be used on former Demon and Blues key defender Oscar McDonald. They are also considering recruiting midfielder Callum Brown, who is averaging 32 disposals for Box Hill, as they deal with an injury crisis.

Former Sydney ruckman Sam Naismith is poised to join Geelong, and Fremantle would likely take Hansen jnr if he makes it to them.
North Adelaide’s Noah Casalini has mid-season draft admirers and, like Hunter, slotted five goals this past weekend, while giant Northern Bullants forward Brandon Ryan offers upside for a club in need of a key forward.

Snuffaluphagus What's the story with Liam Henry? Why would Freo go for Hansen Jr when they're not giving Henry a go?
We see the only role Henry is going to be successful in is as a wing. While his physicality has improved dramatically, he’ll never be defensive or aggressive enough to be a small forward in todays game, especially without the natural goal sense to make up for it. His best traits are now his tank and work rate combined with generally good short but difficult kicks that can open up play when he’s on (it’s disastrous when he’s not on though as it’s a catastrophic turnover). We also probably expect him to leave given he’s now playing well at WAFL but now behind Johnson and Erasmus as well.

Watching Hansen, he seems a lot harder at it and has better pace as well, seems more suited to replace Walters current role

noobermensch

Club Legend
Apr 21, 2022
AFL Club
Essendon
Marty Hore with an outstanding display of intercept marking in typical blustery Williamstown conditions.

Swiggy

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle

Top mid-season pick to have trickle-down effect​

There is still mystery around West Coast’s intentions with pick one in tonight’s mid-season rookie draft.
North Melbourne would almost certainly swoop at No. 2 on Gippsland Power and Box Hill forward Ryan Maric – the favourite to go first – if the Eagles go local instead with Claremont forward-ruck Jack Buller, or possibly Subiaco goalsneak Robert Hansen jnr.
The Roos may pivot to Hansen jnr or medium-sized defender James Trezise, who is having a breakout season for Richmond’s VFL side.
West Coast drafted Maric’s former Power teammate Coby Burgiel last year.
It would be a shock if Maric made it past Hawthorn, who are considering grabbing another Box Hill player, winger Ethan Stanley, with pick three. Eastern Ranges ruckman Tucker is another option for the Hawks.

The Western Bulldogs, Geelong, Fremantle and Port Adelaide have also kept tabs on Stanley. The Power are keeping an eye on Mitchito Owens’ older brother, Kai, too, a 193-centimetre midfielder playing for Frankston.
If Tucker makes it past Hawthorn, he is set to be a Tiger or Giant. Richmond, who will pick before Greater Western Sydney, are also considering Trezise and 196-centimetre Perth forward Jaiden Hunter. The Tigers could make a second selection, too.
Hunter started the WAFL season in the reserves, but has not stopped kicking goals, including a bag of five at the weekend to round out his AFL audition, with Essendon another potential landing spot.
One of the Bombers or Western Bulldogs may also hand a lifeline to ex-Melbourne defender Marty Hore, who has taken 23 intercept marks in his past three matches for Williamstown in the VFL.
The Swans are set to make two picks, one of which is set to be used on former Demon and Blues key defender Oscar McDonald. They are also considering recruiting midfielder Callum Brown, who is averaging 32 disposals for Box Hill, as they deal with an injury crisis.

Former Sydney ruckman Sam Naismith is poised to join Geelong, and Fremantle would likely take Hansen jnr if he makes it to them.
North Adelaide’s Noah Casalini has mid-season draft admirers and, like Hunter, slotted five goals this past weekend, while giant Northern Bullants forward Brandon Ryan offers upside for a club in need of a key forward.
anyone got the hole story?

hawkinoz

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Marty Hore with an outstanding display of intercept marking in typical blustery Williamstown conditions.

Here is a late request, do you have any highlights reel for one Jed Rule other than the one AFL posted after his 1stVFL game for Box Hill.

Could be a smokey for us with one of our picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

noobermensch

Club Legend
Apr 21, 2022
AFL Club
Essendon
Here is a late request, do you have any highlights reel for one Jed Rule other than the one AFL posted after his 1stVFL game for Box Hill.

Could be a smokey for us with one of our picks.
If he gets picked up tonight I'll try and put a video together tomorrow.

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics
I said I'd do a phantom draft, I will almost certainly get one or two at most right but here goes:

1. West Coast: Jaiden Hunter
2. North Melbourne: Ryan Maric
3. Hawthorn: Ethan Stanley
4. Richmond: Luke Teal
5. Greater Western Sydney: Jack Buller
6. Sydney: Oscar McDonald
7. Geelong: Sam Naismith
8. Fremantle: Robert Hansen jr
9. Essendon: Rye Penny
10. Western Bulldogs: Mutaz El Nour
11. Port Adelaide: Lochie Burrows
12. West Coast: James Tresize
13. Hawthorn: pass
14. Richmond: pass
15. Greater Western Sydney: pass
16. Sydney: Noah Casalini
17. Essendon: Ethan Phillips
18. Sydney: pass

I think that Richmond would have been hoping that Mutaz or Tresize slipped to their second

Luke Teal at 4? our board will riot LOL

Gee I hope we dont waste our 1st pick on Teal, would rather Trezise or Buller if available.

ZionMig22

All Australian
Nov 29, 2022
Cairns
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Man City
Had a quick look at Naismith's VFL stats and i noticed he dominates against smaller hacks but doesn't perform against big, bodied AFL listed players.

V Williamston he was up against ex-Giant Downie - both had similar disposals and hit outs
V Sandringham he was up against Tom Campbell who took him to the cleaners

At 30 i just can't see him getting another shot after 4 or 5 Reco's

Tom Downie is someone i would consider

Callipygian

Team Player
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Ruckwork is ok but his kicking skills are woeful and looks very slow in play so at best he'd be a back up ruck option.

Naismith is an outstanding tap ruckman and serviceable around the ground as a marking target and applying some physical pressure. He has played some very good AFL games. The reason we delisted him was not because he wasn't good enough but because he was always injured. He played 30 games in 9 seasons for us. But currently he is not injured. So I think it he would be a great choice for a club that currently has no rucks in action (or just project rucks that are a-ways off) and needs someone who can step into the breach and play AFL straight away. If things go really well you might get some years out of him. And if things don't go well, and he gets injured again, you can de-list him after 6 months. He's also a great bloke to have around.

Triggering Tiger

Premium Platinum
Dec 24, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Naismith is an outstanding tap ruckman and serviceable around the ground as a marking target and applying some physical pressure. He has played some very good AFL games. The reason we delisted him was not because he wasn't good enough but because he was always injured. He played 30 games in 9 seasons for us. But currently he is not injured. So I think it he would be a great choice for a club that currently has no rucks in action (or just project rucks that are a-ways off) and needs someone who can step into the breach and play AFL straight away. If things go really well you might get some years out of him. And if things don't go well, and he gets injured again, you can de-list him after 6 months. He's also a great bloke to have around.
Yeah i don't think we really need him though dude, after all he is 30 plus injury prone and in my opinion it would be better to keep blooding Samson who will no dout take over from Nank in a few years and he's already showing good signs now.

Callipygian

Team Player
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah i don't think we really need him though dude, after all he is 30 plus injury prone and in my opinion it would be better to keep blooding Samson who will no dout take over from Nank in a few years and he's already showing good signs now.

Fair enough. Not saying you do. I don't know much about your list. Rather I was trying to balance out the vibe that was building up that Naismith is just a second rate waste of space, which he ain't.

Triggering Tiger

Premium Platinum
Dec 24, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Fair enough. Not saying you do. I don't know much about your list. Rather I was trying to balance out the vibe that was building up that Naismith is just a second rate waste of space, which he ain't.
I never said he was i just think he'd be ok as back up ruckman for someone just not us.

I could not be more unenthused at the thought of Naismith.

Journeyman ruck ahead of younger player that could grow and develop :thumbsdown:

Im fine with it the next 6 weeks will determine if we play finals and ceglar is cooked and stanley probably wont be back. Its a necessity.

Im surprised we didnt open up a 2nd spot though.

Yeah that's fair

Geelong?

Geelong is the obvious club for a ruck yes.
Conway lti and played 0 games
Stanley struggling with vision issues no idea when or if he will return
Ceglar has been ok but moves like a 50yo. He cant ruck the rest of the year out.
Blicavs is needed to patch up our leaky mids.
De koning is needed back with esava injured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back