Second round

12 – Hawthorn - Brandon Ryan
13 – Richmond - James Trezise
14 – GWS - PASS
15 – Sydney - Jack Buller

Watch here from 7pm -

LIVE FROM 7PM AEST: Watch the 2023 AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft

Last edited:

Naismith is an outstanding tap ruckman and serviceable around the ground as a marking target and applying some physical pressure. He has played some very good AFL games. The reason we delisted him was not because he wasn't good enough but because he was always injured. He played 30 games in 9 seasons for us. But currently he is not injured. So I think it he would be a great choice for a club that currently has no rucks in action (or just project rucks that are a-ways off) and needs someone who can step into the breach and play AFL straight away. If things go really well you might get some years out of him. And if things don't go well, and he gets injured again, you can de-list him after 6 months. He's also a great bloke to have around.

I’m not sure I’d classify his around the ground play as serviceable, I’d describe it as poor.

His ruck work was very good though

Had a quick look at Naismith's VFL stats and i noticed he dominates against smaller hacks but doesn't perform against big, bodied AFL listed players.

V Williamston he was up against ex-Giant Downie - both had similar disposals and hit outs
V Sandringham he was up against Tom Campbell who took him to the cleaners

At 30 i just can't see him getting another shot after 4 or 5 Reco's

Tom Downie is someone i would consider
Downie Nominated a 18 month contract so there could be something in the works with a team there..

Downie Nominated a 18 month contract so there could be something in the works with a team there..
Talent was never his issue, he had mental health problems and left the system of his own accord.
If he's in a good headspace a team may get themselves a decent ruck, perhaps a very good back-up to have on the list at minimum contract

Haven't been following MSD prospects through closely but I'll do a Phantom Draft anyway:

1 - WCE - Ryan Maric
2 - NM - Luke Teal
3 - HAW - Ethan Stanley
4 - RIC - James Trezise
5 - GWS - Robert Hansen Jr
6 - SYD - Oscar McDonald
7 - GEE - Sam Naismith
8 - FRE - Jaiden Hunter
9 - ESS - Mutaz El Nour
10 - WB - Rye Penny
11 - POR - Jack Buller
12 - HAW - Brandon Ryan
13 - RIC - Noah Casalini
14 - GWS - Marty Hore
15 - SYD - Quinton Narkle

Draft about to start and they're showing highlights of the season thus far.

Makes sense o_O

You won't get a clearer indication that the coverage of underage and state league football is under-resourced.
you only need to look at the VFL website/coverage compared to the SANFL / WAFL that that is fifth rate let alone the under age coverage.

U18 coverage is sub par

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But… why?
Lynch has been knocked out one too many times, Reeves is a 7 foot Ichabod Crane who needs a rest every now and then, and Meek is good but maybe not as a solo ruck. Clay can play forward as well, so if Mitch Lewis goes down we aren't just bombing long to Kosi and getting reaccused of tanking.

Lynch has been knocked out one too many times, Reeves is a 7 foot Ichabod Crane who needs a rest every now and then, and Meek is good but maybe not as a solo ruck. Clay can play forward as well, so if Mitch Lewis goes down we aren't just bombing long to Kosi and getting reaccused of tanking.
Fair enough. Just seemed odd on the surface.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back