Analysis 2023 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

We will be in absolutely no hurry to secure a spot in this year’s mid season draft and posters should be mindful of that when rushing into calling for us to write Howe or Kreugs off for the year just for the sake of a pick.

If we do get an actual season ender, then sure, but as it stands we are likely to have a pick in the 16 to 18 ballpark in this draft and the chances of us securing a player anywhere remotely near good enough to add depth to our needed areas (key position) is astronomically low with that pick.
Depends how many teams take picks. Not many have picks atm. Only a handful I believe

Until he hung up on the call and fell down the stairs

strangle-phone.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not saying I want Kreuger to be injured, but I want him to be put through his paces in the next two weeks and really push things to see if he can get through a game.

His last 5 games have been:

16th of April - VFL vs. Box Hill: Didn't make it through the game
25th of April - AFL vs. Essendon: Didn't make it through the game
30th of April - AFL vs. Adelaide: Injured, subbed off
7th of May - VFL vs. Williamstown: Didn't make it through the game
14th of May - VFL vs. GWS: Didn't make it through the game

At a certain point, if he's not actually injured enough to miss a week, but keeps needing to come off and not play out the game, you have to question whether this is a psychological issue, where he takes any contact and can't mentally convince himself to go back onto the field. I just don't have another explanation of how a guy could play a game for 5 consecutive weeks while coming off injured in all of them.

I'm just saying, at this last opportunity over the next two weeks to really press the issue with him, we have to find out if he's a guy we can put work into and rely upon, or if we have to move on from the project.

Wouldn't of minded to have had access to a pick this year (or an early one mind you) as I think young Buller is going to be a player, and especially given our lack of developing KPP in that 20-22/3 age bracket, but ah well we can always target some at seasons end (and having a fit list and winning is a much better position to be in).

I think this year and next year, there will be some real talent available in pre-season selections and MSD, as a lot players who missed out on important development years during the Covid affected seasons (and subsequently went undrafted) will have played a couple of years of state league footy and grown into their potential by now.

Last edited:
Gerard Healy said he had inside knowledge that we will have a pick and that we are taking Naismith. Make of that what you want but I can't see how

Gerard Healy said he had inside knowledge that we will have a pick and that we are taking Naismith. Make of that what you want but I can't see how

What a waste of a pick if true. You’d want to hope it’s a six month contract only so we can flick him at the en$ of the year and spend the pick properly.

If we need anybody it might be a defender, and that’s assuming Howe is a write off.

At a certain point, if he's not actually injured enough to miss a week, but keeps needing to come off and not play out the game, you have to question whether this is a psychological issue, where he takes any contact and can't mentally convince himself to go back onto the field. I just don't have another explanation of how a guy could play a game for 5 consecutive weeks while coming off injured in all of them.

There may be an element of this but I just watched the replay of last weekends game and when he hurt his shoulder he brushed of the the trainer and played for at least another 10 minutes seemingly unimpeded. He then appeared to tweak it again in a ruck contest, but still kept going for a few more minutes until 3qtr time, so at least in this case he was able to push through it for a while.

Gerard Healy seems to think BigFooty rumours count as inside knowledge.

What a waste of a pick if true. You’d want to hope it’s a six month contract only so we can flick him at the en$ of the year and spend the pick properly.

If we need anybody it might be a defender, and that’s assuming Howe is a write off.
Anything other than a one paced, six footer with no tricks. What I like about our midseason picks thus far is that they've all got weapons Noble: elite runner. Carmichael midfield bull who can kick goals. AJ plenty of X factor.

Anything other than a one paced, six footer with no tricks. What I like about our midseason picks thus far is that they've all got weapons Noble: elite runner. Carmichael midfield bull who can kick goals. AJ plenty of X factor.

Or.. nobody. Anybody with potential you need to commit to for 18 months. So unless they have a specific target in mind they are better off waiting for the ND.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back