Analysis 2023 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Gerard Healy said he had inside knowledge that we will have a pick and that we are taking Naismith. Make of that what you want but I can't see how
And fly said this morning we dont have a pick, and unless we get an injury before end of next week, we wont be participating.
His words when asked about it.

Gerard Healy said he had inside knowledge that we will have a pick and that we are taking Naismith. Make of that what you want but I can't see how
You put Howe on, draft Naismith.
If Howe gets himself right we are likely to have someone else (eg Kreuger) to replace him later in the year.
If they have doubts about Howie coming back, that works too.

You put Howe on, draft Naismith.
If Howe gets himself right we are likely to have someone else (eg Kreuger) to replace him later in the year.
If they have doubts about Howie coming back, that works too.

Howe won't be going on the LTI list. He seems to be ahead of schedule in his recovery and looks like will be participating in contact training soon...
If anything it would be Krueger who is one hit, whether against an opponent or with the ground, away from a season ending injury.....

Howe won't be going on the LTI list. He seems to be ahead of schedule in his recovery and looks like will be participating in contact training soon...
If anything it would be Krueger who is one hit, whether against an opponent or with the ground, away from a season ending injury.....
But even Kreuger you cant do it to in a what if situation. he is currently training, and they aren't gonna say.. sorry mate, you can't play any form of footy this year because we want to pick up a ruck we'll unlikely use but a break in glass emg in case Cox and cameron get injured again -- but that's cool?

Taking Naismith is an insurance policy right? We lose one of Cox or Cameron and we are forced to play with one ruckman. They get a 6 month contract right? I don’t know if he warrants any longer unless they feel Begg and Steene won’t make the grade.

We are sitting in top without a ruckman for most of the year…it’s not critical. I’d prefer to unearth another Noble.

Taking Naismith is an insurance policy right? We lose one of Cox or Cameron and we are forced to play with one ruckman. They get a 6 month contract right? I don’t know if he warrants any longer unless they feel Begg and Steene won’t make the grade.

We are sitting in top without a ruckman for most of the year…it’s not critical. I’d prefer to unearth another Noble.
Apparently we want an experienced ruckman to have for the VFL, not just an insurance policy

We want an experienced ruckman for the VFL as well as a back up. This is what Healy is saying

But even Kreuger you cant do it to in a what if situation. he is currently training, and they aren't gonna say.. sorry mate, you can't play any form of footy this year because we want to pick up a ruck we'll unlikely use but a break in glass emg in case Cox and cameron get injured again -- but that's cool?

Yeah l know that Krueg's is surprisingly not injured at the moment. It was a more tongue in cheek comment, saying that he is more likely to be injured by the May 30th deadline....🤔

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm gobsmacked that some on here genuinely think the club would do that to a player. We would get absolutely walloped for it and rightfully so.

Ridiculous is,nt it trying to put a fit player on the long term injury list,never mind what sort of message it sends to Krueger.
I agree with who say he should play VFL for the time being to get his body into a routine of just playing fixtures.I hope he can get fit but he has to just stay on the field for 6 wks or so and then maybe revisit it.

From a brief look… C Brown, Poulter and Madgen have nominated

Murmurings about C Brown getting a look in at Hawthorn and Poulter at Western Bulldogs

Greeves, Hustwaite, Longmire, Petric, Voulanis from Collingwood VFL side have nominated. All appear to be long shots

Long time favourite of mine Marty Hore has nominated - I hope he gets another chance

Interestingly Southport’s Boyd Woodcock has nominated but fellow ball magnet Jacob Dawson has not

Last edited:

Murmurings about C Brown getting a look in at Hawthorn and Poulter at Western Bulldogs

Greeves, Hustwaite, Longmire, Petric, Voulanis from Collingwood VFL side have nominated. All appear to be long shots

Long time favourite of mine Marty Hore has nominated - I hope he gets another chance

Interestingly Southport’s Boyd Woodcock has nominated but fellow ball magnet Jacob Dawson has not
Longmire is a classy little player, hope he get's picked up

Wonder if anyone has actually spoken to him?
Mitchell Robinson Morningside AFC

I'm gobsmacked that some on here genuinely think the club would do that to a player. We would get absolutely walloped for it and rightfully so.

I don’t understand this argument.

It’s not unique to ask a physically struggling player to sit out from football long term and start again the following season

Krueger is coming off no preseason… has had regular injuries since, and lately a new niggle each week…

and in his 4.5 years on an AFL list he has played 9 senior games (4 subbed out with injury)

He’s realistically not going to be a factor for the senior side for the remainder of 2023

Best he rests and is placed on a long term training program with a view to having him 100% leading into 2024… his final year on his contract

Saddling him up to play each week is just setting him up for physical and psychological failure… something Fly regularly warns of with players

Pies then use the list spot to get a further experienced ruck… or another touted player

Said player if good enough… then gets to remain on the list long term like other MSD draft gems in noble or Johnson

I don’t understand this argument.

It’s not unique to ask a physically struggling player to sit out from football long term and start again the following season

Krueger is coming off no preseason… has had regular injuries since, and lately a new niggle each week…

and in his 4.5 years on an AFL list he has played 9 senior games (4 subbed out with injury)

He’s realistically not going to be a factor for the senior side for the remainder of 2023

Best he rests and is placed on a long term training program with a view to having him 100% leading into 2024… his final year on his contract

Saddling him up to play each week is just setting him up for physical and psychological failure… something Fly regularly warns of with players

Pies then use the list spot to get a further experienced ruck… or another touted player

Said player if good enough… then gets to remain on the list long term like other MSD draft gems in noble or Johnson
And you know this extended lay off of football will benefit his body … how?

Generally injury prone players (provided there’s no singular injury that requires rest or the knife) seem to benefit from gathering some continuity and rhythm by way of a consistent run of playing time.

Other than the fact that he is currently healthy and seeking opportunity to win back a spot in the side, therefore making this proposed act, a dog act, and not even permissible, it makes absolutely no sense as it currently stands.

To make matters worse, we would be doing this to him all for the purpose of picking up a backup 30 year old ruckman who somehow has a worse injury record than Kreuger.

You couldn’t make this up.

Generally injury prone players (provided there’s no singular injury that requires rest or the knife) seem to benefit from gathering some continuity and rhythm by way of a consistent run of playing time.

Other than the fact that he is currently healthy and seeking opportunity to win back a spot in the side, therefore making this proposed act, a dog act, and not even permissible, it makes absolutely no sense as it currently stands.

To make matters worse, we would be doing this to him all for the purpose of picking up a backup 30 year old ruckman who somehow has a worse injury record than Kreuger.

Not to mention the need for a back up ruckman is now over 😂 we got through it with who we had on our list and did it well.

I think taking away someone’s motivation to get through the slog of being in the rehab group…

… well it strikes me as something a fan would say, and not someone in the inner sanctum or who can empathise with the injured player.

Kreuger is cooked.

But yeah just keep playing him… do the same thing and expect a different outcome.

50BE6BF9-28CB-48F4-AFEB-E897F2B6EC93.jpeg

And FWIW… whether it’s a ruck or not, it’s about opening the list spot for anyone the club sees fit.

It’s about having the better list heading into finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back