Analysis 2023 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Kreuger is cooked.

But yeah just keep playing him… do the same thing and expect a different outcome.

View attachment 1696786

And FWIW… whether it’s a ruck or not, it’s about opening the list spot for anyone the club sees fit.

It’s about having the better list heading into finals
It ain't going to happen.

And considering Callum and Poulter sound reasonably likely to be amongst the few picked up, I think we can survive not participating in this draft.

It ain't going to happen.

And considering Callum and Poulter sound reasonably likely to be amongst the few picked up, I think we can survive not participating in this draft.

We would had a Late Pick anyway as being top of the ladder

I don’t understand this argument.

It’s not unique to ask a physically struggling player to sit out from football long term and start again the following season

Krueger is coming off no preseason… has had regular injuries since, and lately a new niggle each week…

and in his 4.5 years on an AFL list he has played 9 senior games (4 subbed out with injury)

He’s realistically not going to be a factor for the senior side for the remainder of 2023

Best he rests and is placed on a long term training program with a view to having him 100% leading into 2024… his final year on his contract

Saddling him up to play each week is just setting him up for physical and psychological failure… something Fly regularly warns of with players

Pies then use the list spot to get a further experienced ruck… or another touted player

Said player if good enough… then gets to remain on the list long term like other MSD draft gems in noble or Johnson

Who were these other players who have been asked to sit out the remainder of the season purely to facilitate a mid season drafting opportunity for a club?

Who were these other players who have been asked to sit out the remainder of the season purely to facilitate a mid season drafting opportunity for a club?

Here’s an example of a player not undergoing surgery but just resting out the season due to chronic injury … which opens up another list spot for the MSD

From a brief look… C Brown, Poulter and Madgen have nominated

Murmurings about C Brown getting a look in at Hawthorn and Poulter at Western Bulldogs

Greeves, Hustwaite, Longmire, Petric, Voulanis from Collingwood VFL side have nominated. All appear to be long shots

Long time favourite of mine Marty Hore has nominated - I hope he gets another chance

Interestingly Southport’s Boyd Woodcock has nominated but fellow ball magnet Jacob Dawson has not
Penny who’s on our VFL list has undergone a medical in the lead to the msd.

Apparently we want an experienced ruckman to have for the VFL, not just an insurance policy
A VFL ruck would be a nice change of mindset, but the time to do it was when we signed VFL players.

I don't think we need to go ruck. I see a lot of people calling for Naismith, but he's 30, and that's generally not been our M.O. Maybe instead someone like Connor Ballenden if we were to go the ruck option.
But I think we need to role the dice with a key forward. Buller looks like a good prospect, if he was to be there at our potential pick.
Our success of getting talent in the MSD should be reason to find an opportunity to get ourselves in the MSD.
If it means having Howe rest for 2 more months, allowing us the opportunity to take another prospect is worth it in the long term.

??? You can only place a player on the 'Long Term Injury' list if they have a long term injury. We don't have any players with long term injuries apart from Dean. We used his list spot to bring in Markov.
Unless something drastic happens this weekend (here's hoping it doesn't), we won't be involved in the mid season draft next week.

Give it a game, maybe a few games at best before he’s injured again

No preseason, repeated injuries in the first 10 weeks of the season…

Kruegers physical foundations are very weak.
I'm all for getting Kruegers body right. Which to me seems a good idea. Get him into the gym for the rest of the year under the guidance of our fitness guru Wade.

Kruegers best chance of coming on stronger next year.

Give it a game, maybe a few games at best before he’s injured again

No preseason, repeated injuries in the first 10 weeks of the season…

Kruegers physical foundations are very weak.

Sorry, I don’t have a crystal ball so I’ll stick with what I actually know (Kreuger is fit and playing VFL tomorrow) rather than death ride a player to get the last available 1st round pick in a midseason draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, I don’t have a crystal ball so I’ll stick with what I actually know (Kreuger is fit and playing VFL tomorrow) rather than death ride a player to get the last available 1st round pick in a midseason draft.
My opinion though is more on getting his body right. Not interested in the MSD.
Even if it means just some strengthening gym time for a few weeks before playing VFL again.
Who knows, he may play tomorrow and never get injured again.

Kreuger made it through and brought some real physicality to our VFL team in atrocious conditions. I guess the death ride will have to continue for another week.
I doubt we would have had a pick anyway, but Kreuger making it through today's VFL game makes it even more unlikely we will (be involved on Wednesday). Tuesday is the cut-off point for clubs to declare if they'll be participating. No doubt some people on here will be genuinely disappointed, and would have been happy to see him suffer another bad injury, so they could say "I told you so"! I really find it staggering that some wanted him "stood down" for the rest of the year just so we could have a pick. I just don't think we can tell a player who must know he's fast running out of time to prove himself and stay in the AFL that we didn't want him to try (and play), at a time when he was actually fit to play. The idea is ridiculous! If he breaks down again in the second half of the season that's simply bad luck. He's still under contract until the end of 2024, and if he hasn't got his body right by then it would be fair enough for the club to let him go.

Kreuger's situation is certainly not comparable to that of the young Richmond player who was brought up as an example (of a player put onto the Inactive/LTI List so his club could have a pick). Not only is young Smith currently not fit to play (and there's no sign he will be anytime soon), but he's 18, in his first year in the AFL, and his club no doubt would be prepared to be patient with him.

I still think a fit Krueger is in out best 23 and makes us a better side
The club must think so as well, and wouldn't have brought him back into the team last year at finals time if they didn't. It would seem to make sense at the moment for him to be left in the seconds, finding a bit of form, and hopefully getting a bit of confidence in his body, but come the end of the year he just might be able to make a real impact!

Well Sidey knee could be ACL and we pick up a fairy tale recruit in mid season draft and becomes a star!

Would rather Sidey.

Anyway seems a low grade medial to me. Hopefully misses no more than 3-4 weeks.

I still think a fit Krueger is in out best 23 and makes us a better side
I am inclined this way too. I was noticing watching the VFL today and it stood out how impressive his pressure is off the ball for a KPF big man and what a strong tackler he is. He is almost like a massive version of Beau. It's not hard to see why the coaches rate him higher than a lot of the peanuts on here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back