Academy 2023 Next Generation Academy Draft Prospects

prophetic1

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2013
b
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hey BB,
I don't know about what's on offer in the immediate future but I think we should become the first all indigenous team ever in the AFL and let goo anyone else, .... It may prompt Paddy RYDER out of retirement... Get him fit etc... We would definitely attract some of the indigenous cream throughout the comp. We will win the next four cups! As they said in72 it's TIME!

I say all of this in the true
belief and total respect
To all people's concern Ed.

Let's go SAINTS ALL FIRST NATION AUSTRALIAN SAINTS.

Hey BB,
I don't know about what's on offer in the immediate future but I think we should become the first all indigenous team ever in the AFL and let goo anyone else, .... It may prompt Paddy RYDER out of retirement... Get him fit etc... We would definitely attract some of the indigenous cream throughout the comp. We will win the next four cups! As they said in72 it's TIME!

I say all of this in the true
belief and total respect
To all people's concern Ed.

Let's go SAINTS ALL FIRST NATION AUSTRALIAN SAINTS.

Drop the First Nation and go with Aboriginal

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Because it should be Aboriginal not First Nation, that's why
What happens if a First Nations person is a) comfortable with the term, b) actually uses the term in a professional capacity in an educational setting (i.e. holds a PhD and is involved in education research). Or c) is Torres Straight Islander?

What happens if a First Nations person is a) comfortable with the term, b) actually uses the term in a professional capacity in an educational setting (i.e. holds a PhD and is involved in education research). Or c) is Torres Straight Islander?

Then go for it but you will find the term First Nations is politically driven. Most Aboriginal people I know refer to themselves as Aboriginal.Is there an issue with someone doing research and holding a PhD and calling themselves Aboriginal? If there are TS islanders in the team you can call the team Aboriginal and TSI

Last edited:
Then go for it but you will find the term First Nations is politically driven. Most Aboriginal people I know refer to themselves as Aboriginal.Is there an issue with someone doing research and holding a PhD and calling themselves Aboriginal? If there are TS islanders in the team you can call the team Aboriginal and TSI
Darwin mob and Tasmania mob are about as similar to one another as Swedes are to Greeks, yet for some reason the Torres Strait Islanders got recognition as a separate people and all the mainland groups got lumped in together. The reality is there are hundreds of separate clans and mobs around Australia with their own languages, cultures and traditions, and recognising that is generally regarded as appropriate in the 21st century. The phrase "First Nations" recognises that they are distinct groups.

This is why AFL clubs recognise the clans who are recognised owners of the lands they're on and even change their club's name to reflect it, especially during Sir Doug Nicholls round, rather than generically talking about "Aboriginal people".

And if you really must use an umbrella term, the preferred one is "Indigenous" so as to include Torres Strait Islanders.

Here's a map:

In any case, this is the DRAFT board, not the Society, Religion and Politics board. If you want to debate the semantics around political recognition of the traditional owners of this country, you'd be better off finding your way to that board: Society, Religion and Politics

And with all that said, this thread is now the Next Generation Academy thread. It will cover all currently listed NGA players at the AFL clubs who are eligible to be drafted in 2023.

Darwin mob and Tasmania mob are about as similar to one another as Swedes are to Greeks, yet for some reason the Torres Strait Islanders got recognition as a separate people and all the mainland groups got lumped in together. The reality is there are hundreds of separate clans and mobs around Australia with their own languages, cultures and traditions, and recognising that is generally regarded as appropriate in the 21st century. The phrase "First Nations" recognises that they are distinct groups.

This is why AFL clubs recognise the clans who are recognised owners of the lands they're on and even change their club's name to reflect it, especially during Sir Doug Nicholls round, rather than generically talking about "Aboriginal people".

And if you really must use an umbrella term, the preferred one is "Indigenous" so as to include Torres Strait Islanders.

Here's a map:

In any case, this is the DRAFT board, not the Society, Religion and Politics board. If you want to debate the semantics around political recognition of the traditional owners of this country, you'd be better off finding your way to that board: Society, Religion and Politics

And with all that said, this thread is now the Next Generation Academy thread. It will cover all currently listed NGA players at the AFL clubs who are eligible to be drafted in 2023.

Well as an Aboriginal my preferred umbrella term for myself is Aboriginal. All the best.

Are any tied to Essendon?
Good luck trying to get info on this.

Even Cal mentioned last year on a podcast when I asked him that they(AFL media) often don't get much info of who is in the NGA's.

Josh Bennetts(who we ultimately took) only became someone that us Hawks knew was in our NGA when the HUN mentioned it in passing in an article in July.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie

Even Cal mentioned last year on a podcast when I asked him that they(AFL media) often don't get much info of who is in the NGA's.

Josh Bennetts(who we ultimately took) only became someone that us Hawks knew was in our NGA when the HUN mentioned it in passing in an article in July.

I know that Richmond had (circa 2020-21) a guy in their NGA called Nathan Louw.

Not sure if that's the case now.

Community_AFL

Draftee
Sep 7, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fremantle have a couple on their list. Isaiah Hayden son of Roger Hayden

CaptainWorpedo

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Heres another Hawk

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230323_005045_Herald Sun.jpg
    Screenshot_20230323_005045_Herald Sun.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 147
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Are any tied to Essendon?

Pretty easy to find this; posted this on the Essendon board
+ overager
* NGA eligible
= father/son

-- Calder Cannons --
#4 - Matthew Foley+ (also signed to our VFL program as train on)
#12 - Luca Alessio +=
#11 - Ryan Eyre *
#13 - Amin Naim *
#16 - Mo Taha* (expected to go inside 40)
#3 - Jayden Nguyen* (underager)
#1 - Isaac Kako* (underager)
#62 - Alex Allesio = (underager)

-- Geelong Falcons --
#31 - Noah Caracella = (underager)

Couldn't find Will Hamilton or Luke Barnard on any U18 talent list so expect them to miss drafting save for a miracle coming in when champs are on and dominating enough to become a chance later in the year. On last years crop, Reuban Rode, Carlos Egan, Ayui Makieng all missed being drafted and not invited back as overagers.

The major players to keep an eye out for are (imho) Ryan Eyre, a bigger midfielder (188cm) who played one NAB game last year, played some decent footy at Kilmore last year.

Amin Naim played 10 games for Cannons last year, sounds like majorly forward (15 goals in 10 games ave 8 dpg), at 187cm decent size

Mo Taha is a 182cm small fwd who played 13 games last year, certainly highly touted.

I like the idea of Matt Foley, a mid 180's utility who iirc captained Calder last year and played everywhere from tagger to small lock down defender and did reasonably well. No standout feature but a decent role player who if we picked up for free as Cat B would be an ideal project player for 3 years.

Back