LIVE ON ESPN2/KAYO AT 12.15 PM ON 12/12: Green Bay at New York Giants

LIVE ON watchESPN AT 5:00 AM on 11/12: NFL RedZone

NB: VIC, NSW, TAS times
less 30 mins SA
less 1 hour QLD
less 1.5 hours NT
less 3 hours WA

Last edited:
If Dallas lose to the Eagles then that should be the end of Prescott being talked up as an MVP candidate. He would be 0-3 against the other NFC QBs in discussion.

Purdy is the glue that binds the 49ers so is probably the most important player to the 49ers offense but Deebo or CMC are probably their most valuable stand out contributors . If you mention Purdy you may as well mention Goff.

Hurts can win it if there are heroics displayed against Dallas and they win out.

Is there a single defensive player that is worthy of mention in the MVP stakes?

Hill is the only one aside from CJ that’s near the conversation. It shouldn’t be Purdy you could put anyone at qb there and it wouldn’t be that much difference, he’s fine but MVP fine that’s a push. Who else is there? Lamar isn’t near his last MVP year, Dak won’t win the division.

IDK about that but I agree that he is fine and not MVP level. Shanahan has gone through a million QBs and none of them have demonstrated on a consistent basis an ability to understand defenses, go through their reads and display a willingness to pull the trigger.

Purdy is the perfect fit to what the 49ers do on offense. Had he dragged the team across the line against the Vikings or Bengals when the defense isn't giving the 49ers offense house money to play with I might have a different view but he literally threw them away.

IDK about that but I agree that he is fine and not MVP level. Shanahan has gone through a million QBs and none of them have demonstrated on a consistent basis an ability to understand defenses, go through their reads and display a willingness to pull the trigger.

Purdy is the perfect fit to what the 49ers do on offense. Had he dragged the team across the line against the Vikings or Bengals when the defense isn't giving the 49ers offense house money to play with I might have a different view but he literally threw them away.

None of the other guys had McCaffrey in the backfield

None of the other guys had McCaffrey in the backfield

Jimmy G was winning with CMC before he got injured. I think his stretch when he became the starter last year before he got injured was as good as any QB in the league. Dare i say, Purdy like numbers.

Jimmy G was winning with CMC before he got injured. I think his stretch when he became the starter last year before he got injured was as good as any QB in the league. Dare i say, Purdy like numbers.

I think Purdy is a very good 'point guard' for the Niners, and that's perfectly fine. Having him capable enough on that money is an absolute god send and what puts you in contention.

People often miss that the best time to win a superbowl, if you don't have one of the all time great quarterbacks like a Brady, Mahomes, Peyton Manning or whatever is to win with a QB on the rookie contract. It lets you build a much much more complete roster. The Eagles last two superbowl appearances game with starting QBs on their rookie deal.

One of the things that I was concerned about with losing last year was the effect that Hurts contract going forwards would have on the roster going forward. Where they went cheap? Linebackers (and safety). Where did they get victimised against the Niners? Linebacker.

I just don't think he's anywhere near the most valuable player, in the sense that I think probably a dozen other quarterbacks could win with the Niners, but really doubt Purdy could win on the Giants.

I think Purdy is a very good 'point guard' for the Niners, and that's perfectly fine. Having him capable enough on that money is an absolute god send and what puts you in contention.

People often miss that the best time to win a superbowl, if you don't have one of the all time great quarterbacks like a Brady, Mahomes, Peyton Manning or whatever is to win with a QB on the rookie contract. It lets you build a much much more complete roster. The Eagles last two superbowl appearances game with starting QBs on their rookie deal.

One of the things that I was concerned about with losing last year was the effect that Hurts contract going forwards would have on the roster going forward. Where they went cheap? Linebackers (and safety). Where did they get victimised against the Niners? Linebacker.

I just don't think he's anywhere near the most valuable player, in the sense that I think probably a dozen other quarterbacks could win with the Niners, but really doubt Purdy could win on the Giants.

100% If Purdy was a seasoned vet and being paid accordingly it is unlikely that the 49ers would be able to retain all their stars let alone extend a Williams or Samuel or sign a Hargrave. Bosa may still be holding out. Now they are a realistic chance of retaining Aiyuk and maybe even Young.

I personally find the Purdy/Montana comparisons laughable. What set Montana above being a good system QB in Walsh's system was his clutch play at critical moments that lead to championships. When Purdy can do that and not just be the driver of the best car in the field then I'll pump him up (if the game of Sunday had been the SB, Samuel not Purdy would have been SB MVP).

Granted he really hasn't had the chance to show this yet. So for me the jury is out.

In regards to MVP....

Why not fellas like Jared Goff or Christian McCaffery?

Goff is a weird one, still don't like him, but he's one of those players that never really stands out enough on a consistent basis to get his name thrown in the ring. Multiple games with multiple turnovers is not great compared to the other candidates.

For mine Tua and Hurts are the two QBs that have the best claim. Hurts is one of my faves, but I feel he calls his own number too much when in sight of the goal line.

McCaffrey the only RB and probably has a good claiim.

But has to be Hill for mine, he's almost on track for 2000yds receiving in 16 games, so he's very much on track to break the record for receiving yards in a season, should be guaranteed MVP if he does that with 17+ TDs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jimmy never had numbers like this.

Even in his best games always had heart stopping moments where he'd make a horrific pass or two that should have been picked or could get a WR killed. Can't say that Purdy has anywhere near that heart in the mouth moments.

Even in his best games always had heart stopping moments where he'd make a horrific pass or two that should have been picked or could get a WR killed. Can't say that Purdy has anywhere near that heart in the mouth moments.

Jimmy G with CMC was 5-1 as a starter 9:1 tds to ints and a passer rating of 110. Led the league in most passer categories in that time.

But Purdy does two things way better , doesn't hesitate on this reads and hits his receivers in stride.

There is also this.
GArS-voWwAADBqU

Nah, they're ok teams with no real shot in the playoffs.

Winning the AFC South is not a MVP candidature.
One of only two divs with three teams with 7 or more wins. Five divs have second place team with 6 wins or less.

May as well rule Hill and Tua out then as their div is worse.

Over / Under is 30 points. That feels super high, although with a short week and both teams offensive struggles it could be one of those random games where teams just score a bit more.

NFL 2023 NFL - Week 14

Remove this Banner Ad

Back