Play Nice 2023 Non AFL (or lower league) Sports Industry Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes. It you watch six hours (three games) of NRL that is counted as three people. If you watch six hours (two games) of AFL that is two people.

So, while NRL is marginally in front of games watched, AFP would be well in front of time spent watching. I.e. more ads watched, therefore higher broadcast deal.
Your first paragraph is correct but your conclusion isn't. The NRL isn't in front in games watched. The measure for the number of people that watched any given program exists - its called audience reach. But it's rarely made public. If I watch an hour of both an AFL and NRL game, I count as 0.33 AFL viewers but 0.5 NRL viewers. So average audience, whilst interesting, isn't comparable when looking at viewer numbers.

That's not true at all.

Well, in my experience of living in Sydney for 25 years, it is true "in Sydney people don't seem to care about NRL to the same extent people care about AFL".

In Sydney it seems to be all about winning which is linked to betting.
I don't think I've ever heard somebody say "oh that was a really great game to watch" except for the closeness.
It's a bit like soccer where people ignore the general play and hang out for the game buster.
The television may be tuned to the NRL but nobody (in my experience) is glued to the spot, yelling at the coach, yelling at the players, yelling at the umpires or looking to throw stuff at the TV.

Well, in my experience of living in Sydney for 25 years, it is true "in Sydney people don't seem to care about NRL to the same extent people care about AFL".

In Sydney it seems to be all about winning which is linked to betting.
I don't think I've ever heard somebody say "oh that was a really great game to watch" except for the closeness.
It's a bit like soccer where people ignore the general play and hang out for the game buster.
The television may be tuned to the NRL but nobody (in my experience) is glued to the spot, yelling at the coach, yelling at the players, yelling at the umpires or looking to throw stuff at the TV
It was more the comment that more people watch NRL on TV. That's the bit that's not true.

It was more the comment that more people watch NRL on TV. That's the bit that's not true.

yeah I don't get it.

In Melbourne and Adelaide everyone is talking about it at work. Loads of people in pubs are watching it.

I mean Grand final Day also seems way bigger. I mean those places stop. Seems like everyone is at a bbq or something.
I assume WA similar.

Didn't get that vibe when in Sydney.

The interest and passion just seems way more in southern states. Yet data says more people in Oz watch NRL every week.

Maybe just cause of population thing and/or queensland just props it up big time.

Again not arguing it, just my experience being in the three states.

See Sam Kerr was the only scorer 'in the Women’s FA Cup final overnight, finding the back of the net in Chelsea’s 1-0 win over Manchester United in front of a world record crowd.'
It was the world record crowd that interested me as crowds do get some posters salivating: '77,390 spectators, the largest for women’s domestic football'.

Wiki tells us the current capacity is 90,000 : 'With 90,000 seats, it is the largest stadium in the UK and the second-largest stadium in Europe.[9]'

Interesting to read of the imminent folding of the Collingwood netball club, joining a moderate line of cross code failures by many clubs over the years.
Collingwood played games down here. Wouldnt shock me if Netball Tas tries to get the license.

The best thing about it, we wouldn't need a new stadium :)

If we don't call the team The Tasmanian (Turbo) Hens............

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still find it peculiar that the NRL seems to be doubling down in QLD again. Like, yeah it's your second biggest market but you've now got 4 teams in the state (which is the 3rd highest concentration for teams in the country) and you're neglecting potential expansion markets to grow the game. If it was up to me I'd follow the AFL's derby strategy and introduce a 2nd team in both VIC and NZ and then finally introduce a team in Perth. Guess it's up to Vlandys and Co. though.

I still find it peculiar that the NRL seems to be doubling down in QLD again. Like, yeah it's your second biggest market but you've now got 4 teams in the state (which is the 3rd highest concentration for teams in the country) and you're neglecting potential expansion markets to grow the game. If it was up to me I'd follow the AFL's derby strategy and introduce a 2nd team in both VIC and NZ and then finally introduce a team in Perth. Guess it's up to Vlandys and Co. though.
Have to pay for it though, which means agreement from the other clubs cos they'll have their distributions reduce. As most of them are loss making you won't get agreement.

The Greater Brisbane Area can probably handle another team and it cements leagues dominance in the state. And then they can still expand if they want to.

No, it's not strange at all, it's the equivalent of the 3rd Perth team.
NRL metrics in Queensland are huge, on a per capita basis, much better than NSW.
It's a no brainer to plonk a 3rd Brisbane team in there - they can look forward to an excellent TV deal because Qld and NSW is their bread and butter.

The Greater Brisbane Area can probably handle another team and it cements leagues dominance in the state. And then they can still expand if they want to.
I get that and living in South East QLD I completely agree. Despite their teams and lists being smaller than those of the AFL, sooner or later though they're going to reach a tipping point where the number of licenses completely outweighs the playing pool. Even now I can barely think of a Victorian who's a star-calibre player despite the nearly 3 decades of Storm Dominance. I guess the saving grace like you said is that they can do all this expansion in QLD and then expand further beyond 20 teams but for a country as big as Australia, that's just asking for trouble.

I get that and living in South East QLD I completely agree. Despite their teams and lists being smaller than those of the AFL, sooner or later though they're going to reach a tipping point where the number of licenses completely outweighs the playing pool. Even now I can barely think of a Victorian who's a star-calibre player despite the nearly 3 decades of Storm Dominance. I guess the saving grace like you said is that they can do all this expansion in QLD and then expand further beyond 20 teams but for a country as big as Australia, that's just asking for trouble.
Take the Pacifica players out of both RL and RU and they would struggle to find enough quality players to field teams in both sports!

I see Tassie want to take over Collingwood’s license.

Sure. They cost 3/10ths of bugger all to operate, can use the existing stadiums at mystatebank and the silverdome, and get a little bit more national exposure for the tiny state.

Maybe the Tasmanian Government should take over the NBL and Supernetball licenses and form the Tasmanian Sports Club or something to oversee that and their share of the AFL/AFLW club (if it happens sigh)

Take the Pacifica players out of both RL and RU and they would struggle to find enough quality players to field teams in both sports!
There is an almost endless supply.
Besides less than a handful (two or three at most) of players of Pacifica backgrounds, there have never been any born and bred Victorians in the NRL. Not sure there needs to be with so many quality Pacifica players available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back