Academy 2023 Northern Academies (Boys)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you.

No changes from last time.

Sherwood be interesting to see the developments this years.
Until we start seeing games this year, I've got no one to add.

Possibly Cooper Hodge to the under 15's, as I've heard Cooper is the second youngest player in our level two squad, but I couldn't tell you how many other 15 year olds are in the squad. Miller1971 really knows much much more about these kids than me.

What’s your opinion of Ryan Gilder?

Has all the makings of a star. Kid is about 195cm, would be one of the quickest in the L3 squad, aggressive, reads the play incredibly well and has sticky mits and marks everything. Only knock on him would be his kicking, but you could just about play this guy anywhere. Jared Brennan type athlete.

Pretty sure Bridge is 16 this year.

Thomson is Thommo 42 's kid, plays midfield, not key position, despite the size of his father...pretty sure alongside Hodge, he is one of the real youngsters in L2
Boothey is only 14 and 6'5, so enough said.

Probably the best kid in that age group is Ben Lillico, doesn't get much air-time, but the kid is a star. Elite of both sides, incredible in traffic, very composed. Undersized, but his old man is one of the best big men to have ever played QAFL, so would think he will grow.

There is another lad who is a bit younger, same as Thomson and Hodge - name is Oliver Logan. Pretty good midfielder. Way too early to tell when talking about 14-15 year olds though.

Of your list above, the picks of the bunch would be Annabel (picked in L3), Barry and Harrison. (but Lillico is the smokey, just looks elite)

I went down to Yeronga yesterday afternoon and watched a firsts schoolboys game(1st time I have watched that competition) ie. St Laurence's College V Villanova College, I was quite impressed with the standard in patches, intense physical game and there was a very good crowd of students and parents in attendance making a lot of noise.

I went down to Yeronga yesterday afternoon and watched a firsts schoolboys game(1st time I have watched that competition) ie. St Laurence's College V Villanova College, I was quite impressed with the standard in patches, intense physical game and there was a very good crowd of students and parents in attendance making a lot of noise.

some seriously good players in that game on both sides, not all of them playing club footy either - but plenty of them do.

Lauries win?

Lauries win?
Yes they won by 2 goals, very tight game, Laurie's kicked the last 2 goals, score was circa 54-42 IIRC, 15 minute quarters no stoppage time.

One of my grandsons team mates from club footy who is in year 10 kicked a good 40 meter set shot to put them in front with a couple of minutes to go. Very good naturally skilled player but not dedicated enough(his endurance is ordinary) to make it into elite leagues, some of the bigger/more prestigious clubs have tried to poach him but he is happy playing with his mates at Yeronga.

Has all the makings of a star. Kid is about 195cm, would be one of the quickest in the L3 squad, aggressive, reads the play incredibly well and has sticky mits and marks everything. Only knock on him would be his kicking, but you could just about play this guy anywhere. Jared Brennan type athlete.

Pretty sure Bridge is 16 this year.

Thomson is Thommo 42 's kid, plays midfield, not key position, despite the size of his father...pretty sure alongside Hodge, he is one of the real youngsters in L2
Boothey is only 14 and 6'5, so enough said.

Probably the best kid in that age group is Ben Lillico, doesn't get much air-time, but the kid is a star. Elite of both sides, incredible in traffic, very composed. Undersized, but his old man is one of the best big men to have ever played QAFL, so would think he will grow.

There is another lad who is a bit younger, same as Thomson and Hodge - name is Oliver Logan. Pretty good midfielder. Way too early to tell when talking about 14-15 year olds though.

Of your list above, the picks of the bunch would be Annabel (picked in L3), Barry and Harrison. (but Lillico is the smokey, just looks elite)

lol, the foibles of using your real name on here...

Yes, that is my young fella, he's handy in his own age group, but only just turned 14, so a bit silly to be thinking further than this year! All I will say is, putting footy aside, there wouldn't be anyone quicker than him getting around, so at least he has that going for him.

Young Boothey is still Level 1 age, he is about 196cm now and still only 13. Not just a tall kid though, he can play. Nice left foot kicking action.

Given I know all the sherwood lads, know their parents and coach or are involved in their footy in some way, best I don't comment as you never know who is reading, or who might be offended by my opinion - but I would agree that Dan Annabel is the best prospect coming through that age group. Complete package, has plenty going for him.

lol, the foibles of using your real name on here...

Yes, that is my young fella, he's handy in his own age group, but only just turned 14, so a bit silly to be thinking further than this year! All I will say is, putting footy aside, there wouldn't be anyone quicker than him getting around, so at least he has that going for him.

Young Boothey is still Level 1 age, he is about 196cm now and still only 13. Not just a tall kid though, he can play. Nice left foot kicking action.

Given I know all the sherwood lads, know their parents and coach or are involved in their footy in some way, best I don't comment as you never know who is reading, or who might be offended by my opinion - but I would agree that Dan Annabel is the best prospect coming through that age group. Complete package, has plenty going for him.
The big question is;

Who does your boy barrack for?

The big question is;

Who does your boy barrack for?

:collingwood:

So Boothey is 196cm and was born in 2009.

s**t!

Guess he's part of the 2027 fold.

I wonder if Harry is too.

Correct, he's a big athletic lad who is showing no signs the growth will stop! Early 2009 born, my young fella late 2008.

Mad saints supporter...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have coached that lad on and off since he was 6. He was always a big fella, but last year was a huge growth spurt. I'm 190cm, definitely had him covered at start of season, boots were hard to come by, so he borrowed mine...by end of season he dwarfed me and my boots too small for him 😅

I'm almost certain he will be well over 200cm, and he can really play too. 👍

I have coached that lad on and off since he was 6. He was always a big fella, but last year was a huge growth spurt. I'm 190cm, definitely had him covered at start of season, boots were hard to come by, so he borrowed mine...by end of season he dwarfed me and my boots too small for him 😅

I'm almost certain he will be well over 200cm, and he can really play too. 👍

He could be as tall as Max Knobel when he's fully grown.

Knobel is 206cm.

AFL U18 Fixture for 2023
Fixture is out and its something of as surprise as the Academy teams aren't playing each other first. Instead we go straight into matches against the Vic Teams. Sweet.

Fixture is out and its something of as surprise as the Academy teams aren't playing each other first. Instead we go straight into matches against the Vic Teams. Sweet.

Gold Coast v Brisbane this weekend.

Gold Coast v Brisbane this weekend.
I need to hunt up the youtube links

Correction: It seems even the Academy v Academy games are on the Coates App this year.
Coates Talent League Boys and Girls matches will be live streamed on the Coates Talent League app. Further broadcast details will be announced prior to the commencement of the season.

04MAR23: GWS vs Swans Streaming link & Team Sheets
Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back