Academy 2023 Northern Academies (Boys)

Remove this Banner Ad

Indubitubly.

7319176438_223b1caf71_b.jpg

01-02APR23: Round 2 Coates Talent League

02APR23: Under 16s Brisbane vs Swans
Lions take of the Swans in the Under 16s. Girls starts at 10:15 so the Boys should kick off around 1 I think.

You can find the live stream here:

02APR23: Academy Match Results
06APR23: Round 3 Coates Talent League
Not a great weekend for the Northern Academies with all teams on the wrong side of the winners circle in Coates Talent League.

Not a great weekend for the Northern Academies with all teams on the wrong side of the winners circle in Coates Talent League.

Brisbane still has to be happy with how next year’s draft is shaping up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure the Lions have anyone worth drafting this year, with how the top age players are performing.

don't think any of their top agers are a chance, but Owen Collins could be a smoky as an over ager, his VFL form was very good early doors

The next grouping of Academy hopefuls

TOP 20 RANKED PLAYERS FROM THE UNDER-16 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS *

183 points - Beau Addinsall (Gold Coast Suns Academy)
162 points – Joel Cochran (Sydney Swans Academy)
162 points – Zeke Uwland (Gold Coast Suns Academy)
158 points – Dyson Sharp (South Australia)
155 points – Jack Dalton (Vic Metro)
155 points – Lachlan Carmichael (Sydney Swans Academy)
140 points – Charlie Hewitt (Brisbane Lions Academy)
136 points – Ryder Corrigan (GWS Academy)
136 points – Daniel Annable (Brisbane Lions Academy)
131 points – Jai Murray (Gold Coast Suns Academy)
130 points – Louis Emmett (Vic Metro)
126 points – Willem Duursma (Vic Country)
124 points – Harrison Wilson (GWS Academy)
122 points – Oliver Greeves (Vic Metro)
120 points – Zachary Nandlal (Sydney Swans Academy)
118 points – Thomas Burton (Vic Metro)
118 points – Lucas Wooton (Tasmania)
118 points – Rylee McHenry (Tasmania)
117 points – Blake Kelly (Western Australia)
117 points – Liam Hetherton (GWS Academy)

Locked article: Herald sun

Charlie Hewitt was an over-age player in our squad (believe we had 7), so he's in next years draft.

So although Sharp was named the Div I MVP, the Div II MVP Addinsall actually rated better than him (and everyone else)?

Weaker opponents would tend to allow you to score more highly. I don't think you can take too much from the raw scores.
That's assuming all Div I teams are of a higher quality. Addinsall played against an undefeated Lions outfit, the Swans academy and Tasmania. Obviously Brisbane's team must have been reasonably good to go through undefeated and if Tassie's 16s are anything like their 18s this year then their side would be pretty good too. Not sure about the Swans academy but I don't think you can just assume all Div I teams are better than Div II teams. Look at WA's U18 team this year - they were pretty awful to the point that I'm pretty sure a hypothetical U18 Queensland team would have beaten them this year.

Addinsall also played Lions/Swans/Tassie - so a tougher 3 opponents than any Lions players who played Suns/Swans/NT.

NT were a complete joke and either shouldn't have been there, or should have sent an u17 or u18 team so it would at least be competitive.

I think the u16 Carnival needs some form of revision, like a results based fixture instead of locking in the fixture early. Lions beating Suns and then Swans, and playing their 3rd game vs NT was a real waste of time and a lost oppportunity for many of those kids.

Harrison Bridge for example is an elite half back/wing. In the NT game he would have been just an observer for a half and then like a game of u9s, they spin the magnets and kids find themsleves in unfamiliar territory, make mistakes, everyone gets goal hungry and the system breaks down. Almost better off sitting the game out if you play well in the first 2, cause all you can do is reduce your reputation, limited opportunity to enhance it when racking up a cricket score against a team that is club standard.

That's assuming all Div I teams are of a higher quality. Addinsall played against an undefeated Lions outfit, the Swans academy and Tasmania. Obviously Brisbane's team must have been reasonably good to go through undefeated and if Tassie's 16s are anything like their 18s this year then their side would be pretty good too. Not sure about the Swans academy but I don't think you can just assume all Div I teams are better than Div II teams. Look at WA's U18 team this year - they were pretty awful to the point that I'm pretty sure a hypothetical U18 Queensland team would have beaten them this year.
The Div 2 teams are basically on par with a Talent League team.

It would be like the Suns U16 academy playing Sandringham U16’s.

The Div 1 teams are proper State teams.

How do you believe this year’s Suns academy would have fared against Vic Metro or SA?

they are picking a QLD u17 side in a few days. Unsure who they will play, but it will be a good test.

Though its not a 'true' QLD team, as there is a pre-arranged deal that each academy gets 50% of the selections.

The Div 2 teams are basically on par with a Talent League team.

It would be like the Suns U16 academy playing Sandringham U16’s.

The Div 1 teams are proper State teams.

How do you believe this year’s Suns academy would have fared against Vic Metro or SA?
I'd assume the U16 Suns academy would lose by a fair margin to both Vic Metro and SA, but a more fair comparison would be how would an U16 Queensland team go against Vic Metro or SA. I still think the southern states win but the margin would certainly be closer. An U16 Allies team would probably beat some of the Div I teams so that might be the best way to go about it. Seems to be working at the U18 level.

they are picking a QLD u17 side in a few days. Unsure who they will play, but it will be a good test.

Though its not a 'true' QLD team, as there is a pre-arranged deal that each academy gets 50% of the selections.
Will they play Vic Metro again like last year? I assume Lombard and Nancarrow will be instant inclusions into this year's U17 Queensland team. I know Nancarrow played last year so it is possible to select bottom agers for this game, in which case I assume Addinsall will also be selected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back