Academy 2023 Northern Academies (Boys)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd assume the U16 Suns academy would lose by a fair margin to both Vic Metro and SA, but a more fair comparison would be how would an U16 Queensland team go against Vic Metro or SA. I still think the southern states win but the margin would certainly be closer. An U16 Allies team would probably beat some of the Div I teams so that might be the best way to go about it. Seems to be working at the U18 level.

Will they play Vic Metro again like last year? I assume Lombard and Nancarrow will be instant inclusions into this year's U17 Queensland team. I know Nancarrow played last year so it is possible to select bottom agers for this game, in which case I assume Addinsall will also be selected.

I'd suggest it would include a few bottom agers in Addinsall, Murray, Patterson, Annable & Bridge and maybe Longobardi

I'm not totally familiar with Suns kids that are 2024 draft, but from the Lions I'd think the likes of Fry, Gilder, Gillette, Cruice, Lay and Fazldeen would be names I'd expect to see and probably Jessen - though heard very little of him lately.

I'm not totally familiar with Suns kids that are 2024 draft, but from the Lions I'd think the likes of Fry, Gilder, Gillette, Cruice, Lay and Fazldeen would be names I'd expect to see and probably Jessen - though heard very little of him lately.
Lombard is currently a predicted top 10 pick for next year and was selected to represent (and played for) the National Championship winning U18 Allies team as a bottom ager this year. Nancarrow also appears to be a predicted first round pick next year. Both were named in the U16 AA team last year so I'd say they'll be instant inclusions in this year's U17 Queensland side. You might see a few others from the '24 class like Zai Millane getting picked as well. Fair chance you'll see a few other bottom agers recently named in the U16 AA team like Dylan Patterson, Kalani White and Zeke Uwland getting picked too.

yes, I think of the 16 year olds I listed Addinsall, Patterson and Murray. Like I said, I'm not 100% across the Suns 2024 kids as there was no national u15 carnival for these kids and the state carnival was in Mackay and no streaming or footage. As a result, I've seen very little of any of them.

2023 and 2025 kids, I am across for the Suns and I know all the Lions kids from this years draft untl about 2027.

My job is very sedintary, so I spend most of my days streaming footy either live or watching replays.

yes, I think of the 16 year olds I listed Addinsall, Patterson and Murray. Like I said, I'm not 100% across the Suns 2024 kids as there was no national u15 carnival for these kids and the state carnival was in Mackay and no streaming or footage. As a result, I've seen very little of any of them.

2023 and 2025 kids, I am across for the Suns and I know all the Lions kids from this years draft untl about 2027.

My job is very sedintary, so I spend most of my days streaming footy either live or watching replays.
Happy to come work with you.

hah.

I work for the government monitoring cameras. I have 12 screens in front of me, 11 that are being monitored and one for footy.

I don't wish to incriminate myself for not always monitoring what I should, so I can't give you a referral!

So … Gold Coast experts

Do you think the suns will try match bids for Will Graham and Nick Williams ?

What’s consensus ?
Depends where the bids come.

Any bid from pick 56 or later doesn’t cost points, the matching team just needs later picks.

Or if GC don’t have the required points, they can match the bids using future picks that align to where the bid was made, and carry over a points deficit.

QLD U17 rep side (sort of) to play Vic Country on August 13.
NameBirthdayAcademyClub
Alex Pope14/12/2006LionsRedland-Victoria Point
Charlie Hewitt6/1/2006LionsMoreton Bay
Fergus McFayden5/10/2006LionsWilston Grange
Harrison Ronchi8/11/2006LionsCaloundra
Jake Fazldeen11/6/2006LionsWilston Grange
Ryan Gilder15/5/2006LionsSherwood
Tom Fry10/5/2006LionsMayne
Tom Gillett9/1/2006LionsSherwood
Sam Marshall19/1/2006LionsSt Bedes Mentone
Wyatt Greenaway14/2/2006LionsMt Gravatt
Will Munro6/11/2006LionsSherwood
Frasier Lay22/2/2006LionsMorningside (Emergency)
Zai Millane13/1/2006SUNSSurfers Paradise
Nelson Beikoff-Smart15/3/2006SUNSPalm Beach Currumbin
Finlay Gray26/9/2006SUNSBroadbeach
Leo Lombard5/10/2006SUNSBroadbeach
Lachlin Gublin24/11/2006SUNSBurleigh/Broadbeach
Oscar Wood27/11/2006SUNSSurfers Paradise
Joe Kennedy20/12/2006SUNSBroadbeach
Boston Everitt18/12/2006SUNSOakleigh
Caleb Nancarrow31/5/2006SUNSOakleigh
Josh Zanker-Close2/8/2005SUNSBroadbeach
Ty Fitzgerald20/1/2006SUNSBITS/Capricornia
Max Marsh22/4/2006SUNSBITS/Capricornia
Mason Field18/4/2006SUNSSurfers Paradise (Emergency)

Interesting.

I would say Frasier Lay is a much better player than Will Munro.

Surprising they picked Munro and Hewitt from the Level 2 team, and had a raft of bottom age L3 players left out. Though Hewitt is a very specific type of player, so that makes sense.

Write up from the NSW/ACT game against VIC Metro on the weekend. A fair number of U17 academy prospects pulled the boots on for this one.

Reading in there he is playing for the Waratahs as well, I believe the ARU has a requirement now for a player to commit to playing Rugby Union in order to be selected in the Aus Schoolboys team now, otherwise you are ineligible.

Pretty dumb rule, as literally the only thing that sport has going for it over the other 2 codes is that it is truly international. Getting a taste of an OS tour would be the only thing that gets a kid over the line for that dying code.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A good article on some of the challenges faced against the NRL & Rugby.

Reading in there he is playing for the Waratahs as well, I believe the ARU has a requirement now for a player to commit to playing Rugby Union in order to be selected in the Aus Schoolboys team now, otherwise you are ineligible.

Pretty dumb rule, as literally the only thing that sport has going for it over the other 2 codes is that it is truly international. Getting a taste of an OS tour would be the only thing that gets a kid over the line for that dying code.
Reminds me of the Kalyn Ponga story. You had the Broncos (NRL), Storm (NRL), Roosters (NRL), Reds (ARU) and Lions (AFL) all trying to sign Ponga at 15 years of age and he eventually decided to join the Cowboys (NRL) to learn from Johnathan Thurston but then flirted with a switch to Aussie rules again at 18 years of age and has since talked about a desire to switch codes in order to represent the All Blacks in rugby union.

Do we see something similar with Mitch Woods? Even if he commits to the Swans, does he keep the door open to other codes? Being a Sydney boy he would have grown up watching State of Origin and I'm sure there would be a desire to represent NSW in rugby league but then again rugby union has a genuine international World Cup (that we're hosting in 2027) as well as the opportunities to play in the Olympics. It would be difficult to ignore those opportunities and stay loyal to the Swans long-term.

I can see Unions side of it though. Kids getting picked and going so they can have that trip overseas then saying no I'm playing XX when they get back.

I'm not holding my breath on Woods, going to be hard to wedge him out of Canterbury with what they're offering him & when they can sign him up right now no questions asked. That will be 2 players we've lost to NRL this year.

I know all the Lions kids from this years draft untl about 2027.

Gonna bump this.

Which of this year's U15's Queenslanders are part of Brisbane's academy and who are some names to look out for for 2027?

Gonna bump this.

Which of this year's U15's Queenslanders are part of Brisbane's academy and who are some names to look out for for 2027?
U15 (2026)

Matthew Owen 172cm (Vic Point)

Cooper Hodge

Archie Watts

Thomas Levi (elite kick)

Harry Thomson 180cm (Sherwood)

U14 (2027)

Maxwell Boothey CHF 196cm (Sherwood)

Lachlan Ellen

Bridge (contested mid + good kick)

Tex Copeland KPP

Last edited:
U15 (2026)

Cooper Hodge

Archie Watts

Thomas Levi (elite kick)

Harry Thomson KPF 195cm (Sherwood)

U14 (2027)

Lachlan Ellen

Tex Copeland KPP
What's Bridge first name?

Is that Robert Copeland's son?

U14 (2027)

Tex Copeland KPP
Not sure he'll remain a KPP considering the old man Rob was only 187cm tall. Cool story though - dual premiership father and Tex would be the first son of a Brisbane junior to get F/S drafted to the Lions. All the rest have come from other parts of Australia. Once again goes to show just how special that 2001-04 period was for Brisbane.

U15 (2026)

Cooper Hodge

Archie Watts

Thomas Levi (elite kick)

Harry Thomson KPF 195cm (Sherwood)

U14 (2027)

Lachlan Ellen

Tex Copeland KPP

haha, I am 190cm.

The young fella is about 180cm at best (and not yet 15), apart from a few school games he hasn't played footy since May. Not much to get excited about at this point.

U15 (2026)

Cooper Hodge

Archie Watts

Thomas Levi (elite kick)

Harry Thomson 180cm (Sherwood)

U14 (2027)

Lachlan Ellen

Tex Copeland KPP

From the 2026 crop you can remove Watts, not much happening there. Other than that, you have got the ebst one in Owens and obviously Hodge gets a good wrap. Levi is very very good also.

There is another kid from out in the bayside called Phillips who is pretty handy also.

2027 age group, Ellen and Boothey the standouts - Copeland I've heard is de-registered. The other good one is a lad clled Stolz, but I've heard he has gone to another code.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back