Academy 2023 Northern Academies (Boys)

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
As always, an interesting year watching the matches and seeing potentials for Draft current and future.

Academy programs from New South Wales (GWS GIANTS and Sydney Swans), Queensland (Gold Coast SUNS and Brisbane Lions) and Northern Territory (NT State Academy) will continue to compete for part of the Coates Talent League season, in addition to games between the respective academies.

This thread will post links to all Academy games & team lists when available.

:gws::brisbane::goldcoast::sydney:
Norther Territory Acamemy.png

Academy Websites:

briztoon & Giant Strides SUN OF A GUN appreciate all the help last year in regards to team lists, feel free to chip in this year if your able when they become available.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Shakeups this year on the Academy front in NSW. The biggest news of course on the coaching side which saw entire staff swap teams.

Giants:
Head of Academies: Jason Saddington
Academy Coach: Tadhg Kennelly

Swans:
Academy Talent Director: Leon Cameron
Head Coach U18: Mark McVeigh
Head Coach U16: Dean Kelly

Brisbane:
Head of Development: Paul Henriksen
Regional Managers:
Sunshine Coast-Wide Bay: Dayne Frew
Brisbane North: Scott Pyle
Brisbane South-Darling Downs: Stephen Wearne

Suns:
National Academy Manager: Tarkyn Lockyer
U19 Academy Coach/VFL Development: Jarrod Cotton
Academy Coordinator GC & Northern Rivers: Casey Haw
Academy Coordinator North QLD: John Dietz
Academy High Performance Lead: Josh Whitty

Last edited:
GIANTS ACADEMY LIST 2023
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
GWS Academy 2023

gws-a-2023-png.1604393

GREATER Western Sydney has released its Under 18 and 16 male squads for the 2023 season, with 52 players making the cut in the elder category. Three Giants Academy graduates were drafted to Western Sydney last year, and there promises to be a few more in the frame over the next year. We highlight some of the prospects to watch.

TOP-AGERS

A trio of Giants Academy top-agers have cut their teeth training with the senior team over preseason. Though not named in the squad, arguably the most talented of them is Harvey Thomas, who will play his football with Coates Talent League powerhouse, the Oakleigh Chargers. Thomas is a diminutive midfielder with ample class whose foot skills are sublime. There is not much of him, but his smarts help him hold his own in the thick of the contest and he makes terrific decisions with ball in hand. He played in last year’s Under 17 Futures showcase on AFL Grand Final Day.

Giants fans should also be familiar with the name Charlie McCormack. The tall forward/ruck provides plenty of flair and though he remains raw, has promising potential as a mobile type with good aerial range. He featured for GWS during last year’s Under 16 National Development Championships.

The last of the three is Matthew Brown, who measures up at over 190cm but did not manage to turn out for the Giants’ Under 18 or 16 sides last year. Now back on the park, he is primed for a big season where he has the chance to quickly show what he can do.

A mention must also go to Malual Aleer, a newcomer to the program and the cousin of 2021 Giants draftee, Leek Aleer. He has grown to over 200cm ahead of his top-age campaign and will ply his trade as a ruck/defender. The spring-heeled prospect spent last year in the AFL Canberra grades and is definitely one to monitor.

BOTTOM-AGERS

Casting an eye to the future, and the Giants have access to a few handy 2006-born players, despite none of their Under 16s making last year’s All Australian squad. Ruck/forward Cooper Bell took out their MVP award, while Harvey Odgers was noticeable under his helmet in midfield.

Along with top-ager Harvey, at least three Giants Academy products are now tied to Coates Talent League regions. The Bendigo Pioneers will be home to Lachlan Hogan, while Joshua Murphy and Tom Forrest will both link up with the Murray Bushrangers. None are named in the squads.

OVER-AGERS

Six 2004-born players from last year’s Under 18 squad will return to the Giants Academy in 2023. Among the proven performers is midfielder Luke Lawrence, who also turned out for the Allies at last year’s National Championships.

Nicholas Newton should again prove a key piece with his rebounding work out of defence, where he can accumulate plenty of possessions. Tall talent Dayne Posthuma has grown to 199cm and looks to be coming on nicely, having also trained with the senior team.

Under 16

gws-a-u16-2023-png.1604395

SUNS ACADEMY LIST 2023
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Suns Academy 2023:

THE 2023 Gold Coast Suns Under 18 boys academy has been finalised, with 40 players selected among a bumper squad. Spanning four age groups (2004-2007 born), the latest intake features a trio of AFL Academy members and players who will strut their stuff in vast expanses of the nation.

Set to briefly turn out in the newly renamed Coates Talent League, players from the Under 18 side will also make up part of Queensland’s annual futures team and the Allies squad. There is plenty of talent knocking about the Sunshine State, and we highlight a bunch of prospects to keep an eye on.

Looking further into the Suns’ list, there are seven over-agers (2004-born) set to return from last year’s squad. Among them are Allies representatives Marlin Corbett and Jared Eckersley, who offer handy versatility but may well make the midfield their home again in 2023.

Harry Sullivan is a top-ager who, like Nancarrow, is tied to a Coates Talent League club. After making his debut for the Sandringham Dragons last year, he’ll seek to built in 2023.

A familiar name in the 2025-eligible crop is Zeke Uwland. He’s the brother of 2021 Suns draftee Bodhi, and plies his trade as a running small defender with penetrative kicking skills.

2023 SUNS ACADEMY (U18 BOYS)​

Beau Addinsall (Burleigh Bombers)
Nelson Beikoff-Smart (Palm Beach Currumbin)
Jezz Butler (Cairns City Lions)
Marlin Corbett (Surfers Paradise)
Max Cruse (Broadbeach Cats)
Taine Dawson (Broadbeach Cats)
Will Derrington (Cairns Saints)
Jared Eckersley (Broadbeach Cats)
Charlie Elliot (Palm Beach Currumbin)
Matthew Evans (Hermit Park)
Boston Everitt (Southport Sharks)
Will Graham (Palm Beach Currumbin)
Finlay Gray (Broadbeach Cats)
Kyle Greenwood (Cairns Saints)
Lachlan Gulbin (Burleigh Bombers)
Cody Harrington (Broadbeach Cats)
Finn Hay (Palm Beach Currumbin)
Max Hudson (Broadbeach Cats)
Cooper Hynes (Broadbeach Cats)
Nathan Kady (Labrador Tigers)
Joe Kennedy (Broadbeach Cats)
Campbell Lake (Labrador Tigers)
Ben Leeds (Surfers Paradise)
Leo Lombard (Burleigh Bombers)
Max Masters (Broadbeach Cats)
Zai Millane (Burleigh Bombers)
Jai Murray (Burleigh Bombers)
Caleb Nancarrow (Cairns City Lions/Oakleigh Chargers)
Ben O’Brien (Yeppoon Swans)
Alan O’Neil (Broadbeach Cats)
Ethan Read (Palm Beach Currumbin)
Jake Rogers (Broadbeach Cats)
Jack Stringer (Palm Beach Currumbin)
Harry Sullivan (Sandringham Dragons)
Zeke Uwland (Burleigh Bombers)
Jed Walter (Palm Beach Currumbin)
Nick Williams (Surfers Paradise)
Oscar Wood (Surfers Paradise)
Joshua Young (Labrador Tigers)
Joshua Zanker-Close (Broadbeach Cats)

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Shakeups this year on the Academy front in NSW. The biggest news of course on the coaching side which saw entire staff swap teams.

Giants:
Head of Academies: Jason Saddington
Academy Coach: Tadhg Kennelly

Swans:
Academy Talent Director: Leon Cameron
Head Coach U18: Mark McVeigh
Head Coach U16: Dean Kelly

Brisbane:
Head of Development: Paul Henriksen
Regional Managers:
Sunshine Coast-Wide Bay: Dayne Frew
Brisbane North: Scott Pyle
Brisbane South-Darling Downs: Stephen Wearne

Suns:
I got nuthin - what the frack Suns!

So GWS have ex Swans and Sydney have ex Giants.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
NAB ACADEMY SQUAD Members:

:gws: =

:brisbane:=

:goldcoast:= Jed Walter, Ethan Read, Jake Rogers

:sydney:= Lachlan Cabor, Caiden Cleary

Just thought I would throw out a few more names to look out for from my PoV

Harvey Thomas (GWS A) - midfielder
Jett Jessen (Bris A) - kpf
Billy Richardson/Tom Gillett (Bris A) ruck/kpp - both these guys have their fans, I'm still unsure on them though
James Lugsdin (Syd A) - mid

Miller1971

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Good luck finding anything from our club. Genuinely the worst for posting anything about our academy.

The real BigFooty members with genuine knowledge about the Lions academy are: Miller1971 and Thommo 42.

View attachment 1605786

they don't even bother getting the kids clubs right!...

Cooper and Cruice play at Sherwood
Jessen plays at Redland
Lay and Fazldeen play at Wilston Grange

Plus 4 or 5 names missing as well, who are definitely in there.

Miller1971

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Just thought I would throw out a few more names to look out for from my PoV

Harvey Thomas (GWS A) - midfielder
Jett Jessen (Bris A) - kpf
Billy Richardson/Tom Gillett (Bris A) ruck/kpp - both these guys have their fans, I'm still unsure on them though
James Lugsdin (Syd A) - mid

Jessen is a mid sized forward, not anywhere near key position size

Richardson is a key defender, lovely kicking action and about 195cm

Gillett is a 200cm+ prospect, a bit lean as many that height are - but very clean skills and good hands, but gets knocked around in the air very easily. Despite his height, he is probably a forward moreso than a ruckman. Good bloodlines as well.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Jessen is a mid sized forward, not anywhere near key position size

Richardson is a key defender, lovely kicking action and about 195cm

Gillett is a 200cm+ prospect, a bit lean as many that height are - but very clean skills and good hands, but gets knocked around in the air very easily. Despite his height, he is probably a forward moreso than a ruckman. Good bloodlines as well.
I understand where you are coming from with the idea kpp need to be over 195cm, in an ideal world all 195cm plus players would have the athleticism and agility to play those roles.

The counter argument is, do you consider Charlie Curnow to be a KPF? Obviously you do right? He is 192cm, recently retired Jarod Roughead was obviously a KPF he is 193cm, most champion KPFs were 190-194, even Sicily has played KPD (he has made Joe Daniher look silly for years now) and is 186cm, in fact one of our best KPD who was a key to our recent dominating teams was Josh Gibson at 189cm KPD who was turfed by North Melbourne and they tried turning him into a midfielder before giving him to us for a bargain because they thought he was TOO SHORT to be a KPD, which was insane because even at 189cm he was one of the few defenders who could beat 198cm Buddy Franklin..... but I guess none of that matters because they aren't 195 plus.......

Now I'm not saying any of these guys are going to get drafted or make it, but maybe keep an open mind to players who don't fit into your dream height standards?

Last edited:

Miller1971

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Fevola was 188 from memory.

Your point is perfectly valid, I'm more talking about playing style than anything.

Jessen is more a Gunston type, he is lean, quick and hits up and the footy and has good hands. I might be wrong, but I'd guess he is shorter than 190cm, but hes 16, so who knows - as they all grow bloody quickly out of nowhere these lads!

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Fevola was 188 from memory.

Your point is perfectly valid, I'm more talking about playing style than anything.

Jessen is more a Gunston type, he is lean, quick and hits up and the footy and has good hands. I might be wrong, but I'd guess he is shorter than 190cm, but hes 16, so who knows - as they all grow bloody quickly out of nowhere these lads!
I saw an article where they had him at 191cm which was Cadmans height in his underage year, so who knows if he grows or not?, I saw him as a tallish leading forward last year and seemed to have a strong core, which is why I mentioned him as a possible.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
From my limited viewing of our academy, these are my current lists for this year’s and next year’s top Lions academy prospects.

I’m not saying they’re all draftable, just how I rate our academy kids.
311AD4C8-F2DD-47B0-BDA3-6D330164977B.jpeg

Miller1971

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
18s list I would add.

Elijah Glass
Tristen Meekin (though rumour has it, he did his ACL)

17s list I would add:

Jayden Macaulay (he played all the L3 games last year in the middle as the only 16 year old in the squad)

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
From my limited viewing of our academy, these are my current lists for this year’s and next year’s top Lions academy prospects.

I’m not saying they’re all draftable, just how I rate our academy kids.
View attachment 1606975

15's and 16's?

Good luck finding anything from our club. Genuinely the worst for posting anything about our academy.
It's not just your club. The league is hopeless with this stuff.

I'd love to see a list of NGA prospects but there's absolutely nothing anywhere. There was for the first year of the initiative but pretty much nothing since.

Back