Prediction 2023 Number changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Early, yes. But thought we might take the chat outside the Setterfield thread. Anyway, numbers we know are open: 5, 10, 12, 18, 36, 37, 43 and 44. Potentiall 32, 33, 38, 41 and 45 too without counting promotions. For me:

#5: Nic Martin. I was hoping he'd stay in 37 for his career here and be the first to 100 in it but can't see it. Unless of course, we somehow get Dunkley in the PSD...

#10: Pick 5. It seems a pretty obvious one that they get a big number.

#18: Harrison Jones. 23 is a good number but I just feel that a key forward should be in 18.

#23: Jake Kelly. Look, I know it feels weird changing one year in, but it'll seem obvious once you see who's next.

#29: Alwyn Davey*. Just give him his dad's old number. You know it makes sense. I'm Sam Keckovitch eth-dog.

#33: Pick 22/traded up pick. Can't see Ham surviving.

#36: Jayden Davey*. Give him his uncle's number that just happens to be available

#37: Sam Weideman. If we get him, hard to see us giving him a premium number.

#43: Will Setterfield. Wore it at GWS, wore it at Carlton.

*These two are interchangeable, really.

# 5 - Archie Perkins
The most sacred number at the club, maybe with 3. Has to be earned, I think Perkins is appropriate.

# 10 - Nic Martin
Reminds me a lot of Caracella, so this fits. Plus 37 is too high.

#12 - Pick 4

# 18 - Harry Jones
Key forwards number. Baldwin maybe but Jones the safer bet.

# 29 and 36
Alwyn Jr and Jayden Davey. Don't mind either way.

#43 - Will Setterfield
He seems to like the number.

Don't care about the rest.

# 5 - Archie Perkins
The most sacred number at the club, maybe with 3. Has to be earned, I think Perkins is appropriate.

# 10 - Nic Martin
Reminds me a lot of Caracella, so this fits. Plus 37 is too high.

#12 - Pick 4

# 18 - Harry Jones
Key forwards number. Baldwin maybe but Jones the safer bet.

# 29 and 36
Alwyn Jr and Jayden Davey. Don't mind either way.

#43 - Will Setterfield
He seems to like the number.

Don't care about the rest.
You could argue 10 is just as prestigious. Coleman, Noonan. 4 with Watson, Wanganeen, Baker, Andrews is a strong list.

Didn't Cara wear 33?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

george wardlaw number 5
massimo d’ambrossio number 10
alwyn Davey jnr number 12
jayden Davey number 18
will setterfield number 33
anthony munkara number 43

#5: Martin. Classy, smooth user with high footy IQ? It was made for him to take over. Has even worn sleeves before!!

#10: Cox. It’s a good looking number, but mainly to open up the next number.

#13: Mankara. We need to improve our connection to our indigenous players. What better way than presenting this electrifying kid with Long’s old number.

#18: Voss. Seems like he could be a cult hero, can swing forward or back and when he plays, announces his presence with authority - just like the bloke who’s just left the number vacant.

#29: Alwyn Davey Jr. Like father, like son.

#32: Perkins. Said it from the the start, he’s the only player since ‘94 that’s given me Tim Watson vibes.

#33: D’ambrossio. Penetrating kick. Damaging with the ball. Tip of the hat to Glenn Hawker.

#36: Jayden Davey. Like uncle, like nephew.

#38: Kelly. Tough, uncompromising, hard at it footballer. Reminds me of the way Denham went about it. Really the switch is to open up #29 though.

#43: McDonald-Tipungwuti

#44: Setterfield. Close enough is good enough.

#45. Weideman. Give him a big number.

*Haven’t allowed for who we draft. Need to know who they are before assigning them a number IMO.

#5: Martin. Classy, smooth user with high footy IQ? It was made for him to take over. Has even worn sleeves before!!

#13: Mankara. We need to improve our connection to our indigenous players. What better way than presenting this electrifying kid with Long’s old number.

#18: Voss. Seems like he could be a cult hero, can swing forward or back and when he plays, announces his presence with authority - just like the bloke who’s just left the number vacant.

#32: Perkins. Said it from the the start, he’s the only player since ‘94 that’s given me Tim Watson vibes.

#33: D’ambrossio. Penetrating kick. Damaging with the ball. Tip of the hat to Glenn Hawker.

#38: Kelly. Tough, uncompromising, hard at it footballer. Reminds me of the way Denham went about it. Really the switch is to open up #29 though.

*Haven’t allowed for who we draft. Need to know who they are before assigning them a number IMO.
Love it

Early, yes. But thought we might take the chat outside the Setterfield thread. Anyway, numbers we know are open: 5, 10, 12, 18, 36, 37, 43 and 44. Potentiall 32, 33, 38, 41 and 45 too without counting promotions. For me:

#5: Nic Martin. I was hoping he'd stay in 37 for his career here and be the first to 100 in it but can't see it. Unless of course, we somehow get Dunkley in the PSD...

#10: Pick 5. It seems a pretty obvious one that they get a big number.

#18: Harrison Jones. 23 is a good number but I just feel that a key forward should be in 18.

#23: Jake Kelly. Look, I know it feels weird changing one year in, but it'll seem obvious once you see who's next.

#29: Alwyn Davey*. Just give him his dad's old number. You know it makes sense. I'm Sam Keckovitch eth-dog.

#33: Pick 22/traded up pick. Can't see Ham surviving.

#36: Jayden Davey*. Give him his uncle's number that just happens to be available

#37: Sam Weideman. If we get him, hard to see us giving him a premium number.

#43: Will Setterfield. Wore it at GWS, wore it at Carlton.

*These two are interchangeable, really.

If Davey isn't in 29 then I'd suspect he'll get #43 - Dean Rioli and AMT both played 100+ games in it so it's a number that you'd think a young Indigenous player would be keen to get their name on the locker in.

Nice.
I'd swap the daveys. Alwyn reminds me of his uncle
Jayden getting lloyds old number would also be fitting as our new FF

If Davey isn't in 29 then I'd suspect he'll get #43 - Dean Rioli and AMT both played 100+ games in it so it's a number that you'd think a young Indigenous player would be keen to get their name on the locker in.
Yeah, maybe. I'm sticking with Kelly changing numbers.

Alternatively they could get 36 and 37.

Assuming 43 is available. According to this article Tippa resuming at Essendon is still a chance:

A bit of a change:

5: Nic Martin
10: Pick 5
12: Jake Kelly (Andrew Welsh wore it proud, feels like a defenders number)
18: Kaine Baldwin (key forwards number)
26: Sam Weideman (what he wore at Melbourne)
29: Alwyn/Jayden Davey
32: Josh Eyre/Will Setterfield
33: Pick 22
36: Alwyn/Jayden Davey
37: Anthony Munkara
44: Will Setterfield (if Eyre doesn't go)

A bit of a change:

5: Nic Martin
10: Pick 5
12: Jake Kelly (Andrew Welsh wore it proud, feels like a defenders number)
18: Kaine Baldwin (key forwards number)
26: Sam Weideman (what he wore at Melbourne)
29: Alwyn/Jayden Davey
32: Josh Eyre/Will Setterfield
33: Pick 22
36: Alwyn/Jayden Davey
37: Anthony Munkara
44: Will Setterfield (if Eyre doesn't go)
You reckon they’d give Martin the number 5 and Baldwin the 18 without putting either on the senior list first?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back