Prediction 2023 Number changes

Remove this Banner Ad

You reckon they’d give Martin the number 5 and Baldwin the 18 without putting either on the senior list first?
Ah. Fair point. Just seemed to fit, especially Martin

5: Archie Perkins - Seems like a good fit for a mid/forward
10: Nik Cox - Coleman's number seems like a good fit as an athletic freak and something to aspire to. Also, his dad wore 11 at Fitzroy.
12: Matt Guelfi - Will break a few eggs
13: Alwyn Davey - Longy's number, if vacated by Cox
16: Pick ~4 - if vacated by Perkins
18: Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - If Hurley chose who to give it to, it'd probably be Zerk 🤔 Feels similar to when Langford got 4, as someone who was rated much higher inside the club than he was on bigfooty.
30: Sam Weideman - had 26 at Melbourne. His dad wore 31. Grandfather mostly wore 27 and 1. Seems around the mark if vacated by Zerk.
32: (Josh Eyre?)
33: Will Setterfield - Had 43 at Carlton and 11 at GWS. Feels like a reasonable compromise.
35: Pick ~22 - if vacated by Guelfi
36: Jayden Davey - Aaron wore 36 at Melbourne. I kind of like the idea that Jayden plays like his dad but wears his uncle's number.
38: Jye Menzie - I don't think locker 47 even exists and no one else will have a number higher than 44.
44: Anthony Munkara - nextdoor to Walla, keep each other motivated and inspired

Note: Redman and Kelly could move lockers, but unless someone approached them I doubt it would even cross their minds. It would also be nice in some respects to put Wright in 10 or 18...

More conservative prediction, based on it being unlikely that 5 players change lockers:

5: Pick ~4
10: Will Setterfield
12: Alwyn Davey Jr
18: Pick ~22
33: Sam Weideman
36: Jayden Davey
38: Jye Menzie
44: Anthony Munkara

5: Archie Perkins - Seems like a good fit for a mid/forward
10: Nik Cox - Coleman's number seems like a good fit as an athletic freak and something to aspire to. Also, his dad wore 11 at Fitzroy.
12: Matt Guelfi - Will break a few eggs
13: Alwyn Davey - Longy's number, if vacated by Cox
16: Pick ~4 - if vacated by Perkins
18: Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - If Hurley chose who to give it to, it'd probably be Zerk 🤔 Feels similar to when Langford got 4, as someone who was rated much higher inside the club than he was on bigfooty.
30: Sam Weideman - had 26 at Melbourne. His dad wore 31. Grandfather mostly wore 27 and 1. Seems around the mark if vacated by Zerk.
32: (Josh Eyre?)
33: Will Setterfield - Had 43 at Carlton and 11 at GWS. Feels like a reasonable compromise.
35: Pick ~22 - if vacated by Guelfi
36: Jayden Davey - Aaron wore 36 at Melbourne. I kind of like the idea that Jayden plays like his dad but wears his uncle's number.
38: Jye Menzie - I don't think locker 47 even exists and no one else will have a number higher than 44.
44: Anthony Munkara - nextdoor to Walla, keep each other motivated and inspired

Note: Redman and Kelly could move lockers, but unless someone approached them I doubt it would even cross their minds. It would also be nice in some respects to put Wright in 10 or 18...

More conservative prediction, based on it being unlikely that 5 players change lockers:

5: Pick ~4
10: Will Setterfield
12: Alwyn Davey Jr
18: Pick ~22
33: Sam Weideman
36: Jayden Davey
38: Jye Menzie
44: Anthony Munkara
One of 5 or 10 has to be an upgrade, the other our first round pick. And personally would hate Guelfi abandoning 35 after 83 games there.

One of 5 or 10 has to be an upgrade, the other our first round pick. And personally would hate Guelfi abandoning 35 after 83 games there.
The first effort is pure wish fulfilment. The boring/logical prediction is at the bottom.

Although I'm pretty sure that's not a rule.

5 Martin
10 Phillipou
12 ADJ
32 Weideman
33 Will Setterfield
36 Jayden Davey
38 Anthony Munkara

#5 Nic Martin
#10 Elijah Tsatas
#12 Jake Kelly
#18 Harrison Jones
#23 Lewis Hayes
#29 Jayden Davey (wore it at Xavier)
#32 Will Setterfield
#33 Sam Weideman
#36 Alwyn Davey junior
#37 Anthony Munkara
#38 Player 44 on the list

#5 Nic Martin
#10 Elijah Tsatas
#12 Jake Kelly
#18 Harrison Jones
#23 Lewis Hayes
#29 Jayden Davey (wore it at Xavier)
#32 Will Setterfield
#33 Sam Weideman
#36 Alwyn Davey junior
#37 Anthony Munkara
#38 Player 44 on the list
Tsatas to 18 cos lloydy handed him the jumper and hurley was a pick 5 too ---no reasoning otherwise :p

Like Jayden in the 29.
Kelly to 12 feels right too.

#5: Martin. Classy, smooth user with high footy IQ? It was made for him to take over. Has even worn sleeves before!!

#10: Cox. It’s a good looking number, but mainly to open up the next number.

#13: Mankara. We need to improve our connection to our indigenous players. What better way than presenting this electrifying kid with Long’s old number.

#18: Voss. Seems like he could be a cult hero, can swing forward or back and when he plays, announces his presence with authority - just like the bloke who’s just left the number vacant.

#29: Alwyn Davey Jr. Like father, like son.

#32: Perkins. Said it from the the start, he’s the only player since ‘94 that’s given me Tim Watson vibes.

#33: D’ambrossio. Penetrating kick. Damaging with the ball. Tip of the hat to Glenn Hawker.

#36: Jayden Davey. Like uncle, like nephew.

#38: Kelly. Tough, uncompromising, hard at it footballer. Reminds me of the way Denham went about it. Really the switch is to open up #29 though.

#43: McDonald-Tipungwuti

#44: Setterfield. Close enough is good enough.

#45. Weideman. Give him a big number.

*Haven’t allowed for who we draft. Need to know who they are before assigning them a number IMO.
Cox to #12. Tsatas to #10.

#5: Martin.

#10: Tsatas.

#12: Cox.

#13: Mankara.

#18: Voss.

#29: Alwyn Davey.

#32: Perkins.

#33: D’ambrossio.

#36: Jayden Davey.

#38: Kelly.

#43: McDonald-Tipungwuti.

#44: Setterfield.

#45. Weideman.

Cox to #12. Tsatas to #10.

#5: Martin.

#10: Tsatas.

#12: Cox.

#13: Mankara.

#18: Voss.

#29: Alwyn Davey.

#32: Perkins.

#33: D’ambrossio.

#36: Jayden Davey.

#38: Kelly.

#43: McDonald-Tipungwuti.

#44: Setterfield.

#45. Weideman.
Kelly won't get demoted dude. And you have 16 empty?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A higher number is not a demotion.

Hayes can have #16.
That's exactly what it is. It's the same with cricket. If someone bats at 5 one week and then at 8 the next he gets demoted.

If you have 29 one year and then 38 the next you're getting demoted too.

#5: Tsatas

#18: Hayes - Superstar KPP number.

#29: Jayden Davey - Jr. got the name, Jayden gets the number.

#36: Alwyn Davey Jr. plays like his uncle, numbered like his uncle.

#44: Munkara sits next to his idol.

#5: Tsatas

#18: Hayes - Superstar KPP number.

#29: Jayden Davey - Jr. got the name, Jayden gets the number.

#36: Alwyn Davey Jr. plays like his uncle, numbered like his uncle.

#44: Munkara sits next to his idol.
10 and 12? :p

Andrew Welsh and Mark McVeigh...

Wait.

Nick Martin into 32 for mine, even though it feels like it should be a zippy player, as opposed to a smooth mover.
I wish 26 was available, as that seems very "him".

I'd keep 10 and 12 for next year.
Keep Nic in 37, get his name on the locker

During the last week Setterfield was wearing a no number top at training but Weideman has been wearing the #10

how good to cause some dyslexia and mass confusion for the simple opposition supporters, players, commentators and our own mob by giving the Devey boys numbers like 23 and 32?
or go bang with 54 and 45.
why cant the number 0 be used like NBA and 0/00 running around

while i'm being a silly fool, why did someone above suggest Cox change from 13 to 12?

silliness gone, Bipolarbear has nailed it, lock those changes in!

Last edited:
why did someone above suggest Cox change form 13 to 12?
Micheal Long -> Anthony Munkara.

Interesting you’d label a young, exciting indigenous player being given the opportunity to honour one of our best ever indigenous players and a pioneer off the ground as being “silly”.

5 -
10 - Weiderman (Assuming that the number on his training top is a tip-off)
12 - Tsatas
18 -
32 - Lewis Hayes
36 - Alwyn Davey Jnr
38 - Jayden Davey
44 - Mukara
45 - Setterfield
46 - Montgomerie

Bit of a boring list but personally would prefer to see 5 & 18 held out for a year.
Automatically comes with a lot of pressure from fans + media and as great as Martin was this year, he's played 21 games and doesn't need that added pressure. A candidate in 2024 for it IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back