Strategy 2023 Off Field Changes

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the Board needs to have a word to Nisbett about the priority pick application. It seems like his ego and hubris are getting in the way of the club’s best interests.

I heard ex-Xavier College boy and AFL CEO Andrew Dillon parroting the Vic media talking points on the merits of an application for a priority pick, and no doubt he’d oppose it. No surprises there. But the decision is one for the Commission.

The arguments put up against a priority pick are mostly irrelevant, such as what actions put us in the mess, that we won a flag 5 years ago and that we’ve got a lot of injuries.

Surely the purpose of priority picks is to assist in restoring an uncompetitive club back to a level of competitiveness. It’s in the interests of the AFL that all clubs are competitive, especially the cash cows.

The Eagles this year are surpassing records set by Fitzroy and the expansion clubs. And we’re nowhere near the bottom yet. There is every reason to expect the club will be worse next year. The list is a shambles. Nobody in their right mind (except an Eagles’ board member or executive) would predict a return to the 8 any time soon. The AFL Commission should be asked to decide if it wants another season, or more, of embarrassing results such as those we’ve seen. Does that help the growth of the sport?

Even if an application is knocked back, which seems likely, it opens the discussions about soft cap impacts and other forms of relief. And it may increase the chances of a successful application next year.

While they're raking money in hand over fist, the club's board and administration see no need other than moving a few deck chairs around and offering a few irrelevant sacrificial lambs. The only tool supporters have is to vote with their wallet and until everyone collectively does, it's unlikely necessary, overdue and broad-sweeping change will occur.

Well coincidentally dad took me out for a milk shake today and said he has some good news and some bad news; he said the bad news is that I'll be taking the blame for the current state of the Eagles, the Titan submersible tragedy, the current cost of living crisis and the assassination of John F Kennedy. He said I'd likely do jail time and spend a lot of it "picking up soap", which doesn't sound that bad.

Then he said the good news is that by taking responsibility for all of my actions he'll be able to stay CEO of the Eagles until at least 2049, where they'll transplant his brain into one of those dog like robots from Boston Labs.

Then he spat in my milkshake and told me to hurry up and finish it like a good boy.

You know I kind of want another smashing because this club is so stupidly stubborn. Nisbett just needs to piss off and the only way we can do that is by what's happening now. Getting absolutely smashed week in and week out. Season dead for us anyhow so wins now are meaningless.

Also how the hell does Rohan O'Brien get no critism. His our list manager and should be sacked immediately. No way should he keep his job. This dumb ass has given out huge contract to Gaff Gov and Nic Nat. His poor decision making is a huge part of the reason we are completely stuffed right now. I won't be happy going into 2024 with this incompetent fool continuing to give out huge contracts.

I get the sense Nisbett is doing a lot of the list management and contract decisions. Particularly, once Rawlings and Vozzo left.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You know I kind of want another smashing because this club is so stupidly stubborn. Nisbett just needs to piss off and the only way we can do that is by what's happening now. Getting absolutely smashed week in and week out. Season dead for us anyhow so wins now are meaningless.

Also how the hell does Rohan O'Brien get no critism. His our list manager and should be sacked immediately. No way should he keep his job. This dumb ass has given out huge contract to Gaff Gov and Nic Nat. His poor decision making is a huge part of the reason we are completely stuffed right now. I won't be happy going into 2024 with this incompetent fool continuing to give out huge contracts.
Rohan has already been replaced as the list manager. It was announced at least a month ago.

Rohan has already been replaced as the list manager. It was announced at least a month ago.

Replaced as recruiting manager. He’s still the list manager and has been in that role since early 2021 when Glass left

Most of the long term, big money contracts that people are complaining about were done before he took over

Replaced as recruiting manager. He’s still the list manager and has been in that role since early 2021 when Glass left

Most of the long term, big money contracts that people are complaining about were done before he took over
Were they done by that nuff Scott Clayton? Pretty sure he was with us in list management in recent years.

Were they done by that nuff Scott Clayton? Pretty sure he was with us in list management in recent years.

Pretty sure Clayton was on the recruiting side not list management

Rawlings was list manager up until mid 2019 and then Glass joined later that year prior to leaving early 2021

Vozzo was football manager through that period and would have had a day in those big contracts. As would have Nisbett given their size

Pretty sure Clayton was on the recruiting side not list management

Rawlings was list manager up until mid 2019 and then Glass joined later that year prior to leaving early 2021

Vozzo was football manager through that period and would have had a day in those big contracts. As would have Nisbett given their size
I think a lot of people are forgetting that big contracts were the industry standard at the time. We seemed to do pretty well not to be forced to trade out players - look at what happened to GWS and Collingwood. It was either big contracts, or make a call in 2019 to start a rebuild (which I certainly wouldn't have been willing to do).

IMHO, we should apply for a priority pick on the basis of losing two players to concussion, including a first rounder. I know having Dan Venables on the list wouldn't really change much right now, but he's 24 now and would otherwise be hitting his prime. A second rounder, like North, that has to be traded would be something.

I think a lot of people are forgetting that big contracts were the industry standard at the time. We seemed to do pretty well not to be forced to trade out players - look at what happened to GWS and Collingwood. It was either big contracts, or make a call in 2019 to start a rebuild (which I certainly wouldn't have been willing to do).
Collingwood getting rid of Stephenson and Treloar was genius - both have shown less since they left than they did previously. Stephenson in particular has done absolutely nothing at Norf. We would have given him a huge contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMHO, we should apply for a priority pick on the basis of losing two players to concussion, including a first rounder. I know having Dan Venables on the list wouldn't really change much right now, but he's 24 now and would otherwise be hitting his prime. A second rounder, like North, that has to be traded would be something.

We need to get over losing Shep. He was 29/30 when he retired. Look at the rest of our players in that age group they don’t play and if they do they’re pure shite

Collingwood getting rid of Stephenson and Treloar was genius - both have shown less since they left than they did previously. Stephenson in particular has done absolutely nothing at Norf. We would have given him a huge contract.
Same with Grundy.

We need to get over losing Shep. He was 29/30 when he retired. Look at the rest of our players in that age group they don’t play and if they do they’re pure shite

He's 30 right now. He averaged more than 22 games a season over his last 7 seasons, and that includes 2020, when we had a reduced season. His durability was underrated. Not saying his loss was huge, but gee... he'd be good to have in the side right now. At the very least, his experience and leadership would be handy with so many younger players having to step up.

I think we need to keep Nesbitt as hes exactly the ruthless bastard we need at the helm. Fitzpatrick seems as soft as butter.
We just need to be assured that Nessie has realised "ITS TIME' !!
Simmo needs to go. Hes a good coach but we need a circuit breaker with the old boys. Simmo doesnt seem to have the ruthless streak needed at this time.

How about we replace ROB with Ned Guy

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He's 30 right now. He averaged more than 22 games a season over his last 7 seasons, and that includes 2020, when we had a reduced season. His durability was underrated. Not saying his loss was huge, but gee... he'd be good to have in the side right now. At the very least, his experience and leadership would be handy with so many younger players having to step up.
He's 32, retired at 30. We don't need to bring him into the reason why we are where we are. Most likely he'd be overweight and battling soft tissues like the rest of them

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 9.51.38 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 9.51.38 pm.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 29

Treloar has been pretty good for the Dogs. Was huge in their premiership year. But has he been worth his contract? Probably not. Lucky Dogs didn't have to pay it all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back