NFL 2023 - Off-Season Player Updates/Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta be an agent thing

Yeah, weird that we got to a place where this is the signal for 'I'm available' and hey fanbase they don't want me go yell at them :sweatsmile:

Not sure why you would request a trade in private when you are free to sign with another team? Did he think that it would lower the Ravens' trade demands?

This also doesn't really make sense

Lamar wants his money and is trying to leverage it any possible way he can. The trade request is just one of the few avenues that he had. He's still trying to negotiate directly as he wants the new deal.

He can get an offer from another team, but there's heaps of challenges around that, the offering team needs top have freed up the cap space for the offer and the ravens are expected just to match it. So why do the ravens dirty work?

It's a really strange situation, unlikely to be resolved any time soon.

Still feel nothing happens with Llama until after the Draft.

The likely teams all have picks that are too valuable with too many holes to fill before throwing them in for Lamar this season and then also paying him.

You're going to need to likely shed vet salary in some cases and you'll want those top 10 drafted rookies on a nicer salary from this year to help soften the blow.

Next year and the year after, are far easier to give up than a confirmed top 10 pick in your hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lamar isn’t worth the money his wanting or draft capital you have to give up.
He has gone backwards since his mvp season there has been no improvement in his game. Then throw in the 5+ games each season he misses thru injury due to his play style it’s a hard pass for me.

Lamar isn’t worth the money his wanting or draft capital you have to give up.
He has gone backwards since his mvp season there has been no improvement in his game. Then throw in the 5+ games each season he misses thru injury due to his play style it’s a hard pass for me.
That and sitting out a playoff game, and not even travelling with the team because you were only what 80-90% fit? He made a business decision because he didn't want to injure himself before contract negotiations, but now teams look at that and ask if they want a guy like that for $50m a year and two first rounders.

He dicked himself good on that one.

Good landing spot for Irv #IStillBelieve

Bengals signed TE Irv Smith, formerly of the Vikings, to a one-year contract.​

Smith signs a prove-it deal after missing the entire 2021 season with a knee injury and much of the 2022 season with an ankle injury. In Minnesota, Smith had nine touchdowns on 91 receptions over 37 games before being replaced by T.J. Hockensen in the middle of the 2022 season. Entering his age-25 season, Smith could have sneaky fantasy appeal if he is the primary route-running tight end in the pass-heavy Bengals offense.

Colts owner Jim Irsay said he "doesn't believe" in fully-guaranteed contracts.​

"I think that a percentage is one thing, but from what I’ve seen from the NBA and baseball, I don’t see it as a positive competitively," Irsay told reporters Monday. That would seem to eliminate the Colts from the Lamar Jackson sweepstakes as the quarterback seeks a guaranteed deal outside Baltimore following his trade request. Irsay said paying Jackson was "not a problem" for the QB-needy Colts, but he would not negotiate a deal that guaranteed money to Jackson. Irsay joins every other NFL owner in making a stand against fully guaranteed deals after Deshaun Watson landed a guaranteed contract with the Browns in 2022. Jackson, 26, still has no suitors.

The Athletic's Jourdan Rodrigue writes the Rams are "still playing out the idea of trading Allen Robinson."​

The Rams gave Robinson permission to seek a trade, but have received zero public interest that we're aware of despite offering to take on part of Robinson's $15.2 million guaranteed salary. "Those efforts are still ongoing, but the Rams haven’t ruled out Robinson remaining part of their offense in 2023. Robinson’s role in the offense would have to be schematically different if he stays," Rodrigue wrote. It's possible that the market for Robinson's salary, coming off a 33/339/3 2022 season, is more "you give me a draft pick" rather than "please give us a draft pick."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back